996 C4S Supercharged 3.6

911CSR

On 30/09/2020 at 11:53, 911CSR said:

First post but I am currently restoring a 2003 C4S (Tiptronic) 996 and im looking at the VF Enginneering supercharger kit for it. Wondering if anyone locally has done this previously and what was the experience.

I looked at A supercharged C4S earlier this year. for sale through Grays. Curious venue for such a car me thought 

didn’t bid as despite best efforts too discuss with seller . Not interested and service  a little spare in places and clearly been a tRack hound 

perhaps call PR technology or Autohaus for tech

10 hours ago, michel said:

I looked at A supercharged C4S earlier this year. for sale through Grays. Curious venue for such a car me thought 

didn’t bid as despite best efforts too discuss with seller . Not interested and service  a little spare in places and clearly been a tRack hound 

perhaps call PR technology or Autohaus for tech

This one??

https://autohaushamilton.com.au/news/feature-996-carrera-4s-supercharged

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

That would be the one… Though the red interior trim And the half cage  (Roof liner was marked) , had gone and the carbon pieces put back in.

Vaguely remember it selling for about 65K approximately plus hammer

7 minutes ago, michel said:

That would be the one… Though the red interior trim And the half cage  (Roof liner was marked) , had gone and the carbon pieces put back in.

Vaguely remember it selling for about 60 5K approximately plus hammer

It was also on Carsales for some time before going through Grays. (IIRC around $85k). It had no cage, but I do recall it did have the different seat trim and red interior highlights  😩

21 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Wouldn't recommend a supercharger on an M96 engine. Want boost, save up and buy a real 996 turbo. 

The VF has been done before but if you want reliability and longevity keep it standard. 

Also IMO it devalues the car. 

Thanks for the input...I have already owned a 996 turbo when I lived in Hong Kong and sold it before moving back home (import costs just made it a non-starter). In all honesty I wasn;t that much of a fan of the turbo and the way the power was delivered, so much so I tried 3 different turbo combo's. 

Its one of reasons I bought the C4S which is a keeper. This one won't be sold even if I have to move back overseas and I will also be doing an engine rebuild on it to either w 3.8 or 4.0Lt. 

Since posting, I've actually already ordered the VF Enginnering kit for the car.

I would have thought that the NA996 engine was built close to its limits and the extra stress on top end and bottom end components of a supercharger would put it over the edge? The Turbo has the Metzger motor with a proven record, I believe. A colleague here brought back two of his one -owner HK 997 turbos last year. Nice cars.

I looked at buying a Yellow 996 with a VF kit that was pretending to be a GT3. I got a PPI done and the car was totally trashed but there is a video review of the actual car. It goes like a cut snake, but this particular cars gearbox (manual) was ready to die. The engine despite being obviously treated like garbage and having an insane redline count, still seemed good. It did appear that the rear boot lid needs some of the internal bracing cut out to fit the kit so that is probably the most irreversible thing.

Anyway this is the car,

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I looked at buying a Yellow 996 with a VF kit that was pretending to be a GT3. I got a PPI done and the car was totally trashed but there is a video review of the actual car. It goes like a cut snake, but this particular cars gearbox (manual) was ready to die. The engine despite being obviously treated like garbage and having an insane redline count, still seemed good. It did appear that the rear boot lid needs some of the internal bracing cut out to fit the kit so that is probably the most irreversible thing.

Anyway this is the car,

@Jeff - Saw that as well as a few others and the power delivery over the turbo is what was appealing. I have and have had a few turbo cars and the 996 is a daily / weekend car. That the power should be more linear was the big draw card and being a tiptronic 4S just an easier thing in traffic and for a weekend run around. Looking at either the Merc paddle shift modification or fitting up a Momo wheel with the Works Bell paddles depending on whether I can find a tiptronic boss or modify one to fit the Momo wheel. Also moving to an Emtron ECU for it so it can be tuned to suit rather than a simple generic map from US. Have the patch harness already done, we are just working out some of the CANBUS comms for the Tiptronic so it all talks nicely and works properly.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

As ham fisted as this bloke is driving it, it's no wonder the gearbox was shit 😅

After being treated like that....

16 minutes ago, tomo said:

And just bouncing it of the rev limiter is just wong 😎

:)

,,There is a mob in the states that makes a flappy paddle wheel for the tipy G/B , It is a smaller diameter than the original wheel, Which would be good as my legs hit the wheel getting in and out of the car, Cost $ 2k

2 hours ago, MFX said:

Anyway this is the car,

Calling @Claywong you still own this  canary.. @symsyany thoughts  

11 minutes ago, michel said:

Calling @Claywong you still own this  canary.. @symsyany thoughts  

It wasn't his car, he was just reviewing it. Not sure about smashing the limiter so much in someone else's car, although from the ECU review the owner smashed continuously himself.

1 hour ago, tomo said:

,,There is a mob in the states that makes a flappy paddle wheel for the tipy G/B , It is a smaller diameter than the original wheel, Which would be good as my legs hit the wheel getting in and out of the car, Cost $ 2k

@tomoDo you have a link to it mate?? Apparently my Google skills are lacking...

• 4 weeks later...

So I am still waiting for the supercharger kit to arrive from the US, but I did manage to get the shift paddles fitted and working.

I tried both fitting the Mercedes paddles to the stock wheel as well as going all in and replacing the stock wheel with a set of Works Bell paddle shift kit and a Momo Protipio wheel. I ended up staying with the Momo and the paddles. 

So now just waiting for my Pelican Parts order to arrive with an eccentric hub adaptor and it will be golden.

C8A03904-5AAE-4F97-B069-BB8FCF300C75.jpeg

On 06/10/2020 at 05:36, 911CSR said:

@Jeff - Saw that as well as a few others and the power delivery over the turbo is what was appealing. I have and have had a few turbo cars and the 996 is a daily / weekend car. That the power should be more linear was the big draw card and being a tiptronic 4S just an easier thing in traffic.

:)

Curious. Are you comparing apples with apple's.  How much work was done on these 996 turbo's   your comparing against.   Is it that hard to get a 996 turbo with some ones  and zeros changes delivering power like a supercharger.? PS I didn't find my first spin in a 996 stock  turbo particular inspiring in relation to how its delivers power.   

13 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Curious. Are you comparing apples with apple's.  How much work was done on these 996 turbo's   your comparing against.   Is it that hard to get a 996 turbo with some ones  and zeros changes delivering power like a supercharger.? PS I didn't find my first spin in a 996 stock  turbo particular inspiring in relation to how its delivers power.   

So I've have some experience with a 996 turbo as I owned a one when I lived in Hong Kong, but sold it before coming back (import costs just made it a non-starter).

Like you mentioned, one of the things that made it easier to sell was that I was;t a huge fan of the way the power was delivered. I tried a number of different  turbo and tuning combinations and it was just not what I wanted in a daily driver. Its also not really somethign I want to daily drive either.

Its one of reasons I bought the C4S as I love the shape but not the power delivery and figures I'd try either an increase to 3.9Lt / 4.0Lt or a supercharger or both.