996 C4S Supercharged 3.6

911CSR

On 05/10/2020 at 07:29, 911CSR said:

Thanks for the input...I have already owned a 996 turbo when I lived in Hong Kong and sold it before moving back home (import costs just made it a non-starter). In all honesty I wasn;t that much of a fan of the turbo and the way the power was delivered, so much so I tried 3 different turbo combo's. 

Its one of reasons I bought the C4S which is a keeper. This one won't be sold even if I have to move back overseas and I will also be doing an engine rebuild on it to either w 3.8 or 4.0Lt. 

Since posting, I've actually already ordered the VF Enginnering kit for the car.

I agree 100% of not being fan a stock 996 turbo out of the box and the power delivery. I lasted about 1hr of ownership seat time before addressing that.   Curious as who tuned your 996 turbo and what turbo combinations did you run with. 

I used an off the shelf EVOMS kits (610 and then 660 kits and an EFR turbo set up) and had a HKG based workshop do the work with US firm doing a long distance "custom tune"). It certainly had more power (as expected) but just wasn't what I wanted. I had an RS3 as well and that was a better thing. Just compared to my previous cars (R34 and R35 GTR's, EVOIX etc) it just wasn't there as a daily / frequent driver.

As a weekend blast machine it was great, a lot of hard work and very rewarding, but not something for everyday. The C4S is a much nicer things on a daily drive and I am sortof hoping that given the reviews and talking to a few people that have done the supercharger converstion it will be more linear and reallt feel like the same car with more under the right foot when you want it.

10 hours ago, 911CSR said:

I used an off the shelf EVOMS kits (610 and then 660 kits and an EFR turbo set up) and had a HKG based workshop do the work with US firm doing a long distance "custom tune"). It certainly had more power (as expected) but just wasn't what I wanted. I had an RS3 as well and that was a better thing. Just compared to my previous cars (R34 and R35 GTR's, EVOIX etc) it just wasn't there as a daily / frequent driver.

As a weekend blast machine it was great, a lot of hard work and very rewarding, but not something for everyday. The C4S is a much nicer things on a daily drive and I am sortof hoping that given the reviews and talking to a few people that have done the supercharger converstion it will be more linear and reallt feel like the same car with more under the right foot when you want it.

I avoided those bigger end turbos that boost  north of  3750 rpm with bigger hp and tq  dyno curves  that are capable of bending stock rods like a banana.  Prefer the smaller hybrid k framed  turbo's that shove bigger compressor wheels into a smaller  housing.  ( k16 with 997gt2 compressor style wheels KO4 with k26  Eg for a street car more daily duties,  want to push the hp /  torque curve to the left and up from stock and not  too  far right and up.  Just a view, but spooling at circa 2000 to 4000rpm with smaller non laggy turbos  is much more enjoyable for daily, street duties. 

16 hours ago, smit2100 said:

I avoided those bigger end turbos that boost  north of  3750 rpm with bigger hp and tq  dyno curves  that are capable of bending stock rods like a banana.  Prefer the smaller hybrid k framed  turbo's that shove bigger compressor wheels into a smaller  housing.  ( k16 with 997gt2 compressor style wheels KO4 with k26  Eg for a street car more daily duties,  want to push the hp /  torque curve to the left and up from stock and not  too  far right and up.  Just a view, but spooling at circa 2000 to 4000rpm with smaller non laggy turbos  is much more enjoyable for daily, street duties. 

Don't disagree, however when you really want to it open up and run, the top end is not there and the exhaust temps go through the roof. Bending the stock rods and break ring lands was somethgin I was worried about but avoided...

4 hours ago, 911CSR said:

Don't disagree, however when you really want to it open up and run, the top end is not there and the exhaust temps go through the roof. Bending the stock rods and break ring lands was somethgin I was worried about but avoided...

I don't play at the top end, as I might record an over rev incident and devalue the car on a future sale because your buyer pool just deceased by 95% with one of them recorded.   Ha ha    

13 hours ago, smit2100 said:

I don't play at the top end, as I might record an over rev incident and devalue the car on a future sale because your buyer pool just deceased by 95% with one of them recorded.   Ha ha    

HAHAHA....If the worst thing the car has ever seen is a little hard work and a trip to the top ofthe RPM range then its the least of your worries.....

It's only the high end over-revs which are a concern, and you don't get them by winding it out to the normal limiter.  They are only obtained by 'money shifts' or too exuberant downshifting mechanically over-revving the engine by driving it with the wheels.  Stage1 over-revs (ie tagging the limiter) would not worry me in the slightest.

• 1 year later...

Long since last on this...Car has been in with Autowerks for a complete stripdown and rebuild of the tiptronic gearbox. Uprated friction plates, torque converter, higher pressure solinoids and will be loading a different TCU tune for it as well. Also fitted the Porsche Motorsport AOS and a few other parts while they had the engine out.

Was going to wait until I coudl do a 3.9/4.0 conversion before fitting the supercharger, but think I will just go with the 3.6 and build a new engine.

Also bought one of the Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump (UIDS) from RENNLIST forum. I was worried about oiling and have the FVD X51 billet sump and this to try. 

1 hour ago, 911CSR said:

Long since last on this...Car has been in with Autowerks for a complete stripdown and rebuild of the tiptronic gearbox. Uprated friction plates, torque converter, higher pressure solinoids and will be loading a different TCU tune for it as well. Also fitted the Porsche Motorsport AOS and a few other parts while they had the engine out.

Was going to wait until I coudl do a 3.9/4.0 conversion before fitting the supercharger, but think I will just go with the 3.6 and build a new engine.

Also bought one of the Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump (UIDS) from RENNLIST forum. I was worried about oiling and have the FVD X51 billet sump and this to try. 

Has the UIDS finished testing and actually work ? Read 20 pages of how the CNC machining was a piece of art, But nothing about that it works.

On 25/06/2022 at 15:54, tomo said:

More info needed

I have spoken to Skip and a few others on the forum that have been involved. The testing is on the forum and combined with the individual reports as well as that Skip is also behind the very successful UAOS I am prepared to move forward.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks mate....Saw your's there on Friday when I picked her up. Looking forward to hearing how the work goes, Simon, Ryan and the team are awesome.

After an extensive round of work, they guys performed their usual miracle. She is better than ever.