Can kids be enthusiasts? The jury is out on mine.

I will never forget the kids reactions when seeing the 944 for the first time.

8 year old Daughter - I like your Harry Potter car. It's a beauty (yes, she is incredibly bogan). When's lunch?

She had to point out why it was a Harry Potter car... It can't be unseen now.

9 year old Son - cool. Can we go upstairs now?

While wearing his backpack with all his video gaming stuff in it. I bet if I showed him a 944 on Forza he would be happy.

My reaction to their reactions was the closest you could get to a real world face palm while trying not to laugh. Their priorities are clearly not even close to being aligned to mine. It got me a good one.

Just now, Spectre said:

Genuine oz delivered?  PM sent

🤣

Oz delivered full documentation, matching numbers, just out of extended warranty, German designed with Italian heart, good performer. Runs rough on start up if too early.  Blows a bit of colorless smoke at inopertune moments.  2012 model.  

5 hours ago, KGB said:

I've threatened to sell mine (kid) a few times.

One of ours threatened to find his way to the nearest orphanage last week (after receiving a wet lettuce leaf verbal lashing for the sort of behaviour that would have, back in the day, got me the back of a hand or 10 of the best with a wooden spoon).....must be no market for 2nd hand parents.  In a sign of the covid times, his backpack was prepped with clothes, food and toilet paper :)

Kinda lucky. 8yr old she’s into the cool of the old cars , and 0-80 as hard as you can is a thrill . Though we always end up discussing ROBLOX .. 14 yr old track diva she changes brake pads with me and still laments the passing of the Barry white hot choc mocha black SC, and enjoyed the 1300 kms home journey in KLAUS , with pipes set wide  open . But we end up discussing border collies 

https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/16644-pheasants-wood-drive-days/

This reminds of my daughter, who until the age of about 5 would always be helping me in the garage with something on  most weekends

One Saturday, she comes into the garage all dressed up & announces that she will not be able to help me as she is going to get her hare cut with her mother.

My reply that was you know that is going to hurt

She says no its not. I then reply just think about it - when you cut you finger it bleeds & hurts - she gave it about 5 seconds of thought & ran of screaming that she wanted to help me instead.

It took my wife weeks to convince her otherwise

My daughter is now an Industrial Designer with long hair & still helps in the garage from time to time

She  & I still have a good laugh about it today, I even incorporated this story into my speech on her wedding day

Short answer is yes, kids of today can be the enthusiasts of the future but the odds are stacked against them. I've got 3 x boys that I'm fortunate to spend a lot of time with and it seems my influence rubs off on them. They are young and impressionable enough that I still have a level of influence over them and they like to do what I like.............but that won't last forever.  

The opportunity to own and/or enjoy the "hobby" of classic or exotic cars is becoming smaller due to the increased costs associated, as a result many only find it later in life when their kids are grown up and already have developed interests in other things. Younger generations are less likely to get their licence, let alone buy a car (or potentially afford one) and pending on where they live its just a luxury that isn't affordable. 

I also believe that the next wave of car culture "influences" (you tubers) lacks any depth whatsoever. Their content rests on essentially wandering around expensive, stationary exotic cars and talking about how much they are worth. Nothing about driving or ownership experience etc. its all about status. If that's what the "kids of today" are basing their expectations of being an enthusiast on then they unfortunately are missing not only the point but what I believe the best part of car ownership - getting out and using the damn things!