911 SC sports muffler upgrade

Paul ricoops

Took my car in for a recent annual service to Autohaus Hamilton, and my exhaust needed to be replaced. They supplied and fitted a Dansk Sport unit. It's a little throatier than stock and seems to open up more when you put your foot down. The tip sticks out a little further than stock and seems to be larger too. Preferred the stock look but I guess I'll get used to it.

6 hours ago, Paul ricoops said:

Hi guys looking for recommendations to upgrade 911 SC sports muffler. What is the best sounding sports muffler? Wanting a nice racing sound but not ridiculously loud. 
paul

M & K 👍

I have had the same criteria satisfied on two 911's now.  Sporty, light but not too loud or with a drone on the h'way.  I bought one of the  SS Monty Mufflers.  He has been making Porsche mufflers for decades - in Australia and sold worldwide.  Great product.

On 14/10/2020 at 12:05, Stepo said:

I found my Monty muffler a bit too load, removed and now running Dansk Sports with SSI's and very happy with the result, must be getting soft.

I went from a monty to ssi's & Dansk Sports on my old C3 & found it a much nicer sound (still good when you're on it but no drone).

1 minute ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I went from a monty to ssi's & Dansk Sports on my old C3 & found it a much nicer sound (still good when you're on it but no drone).

The reason I removed the Monty was due to drone at cruising speed, I don't know if there are different versions but mine had a huge outlet (3-4" maybe) and sounded literally like a thumping 350 chev motor (combined with the SSI's).  Everyone could hear you coming (my poor neighbors :ph34r:), I tried double layers of sound deadener behind the seats as it was a wicked sound but it didn't do enough.   

The Dansk still gives a nice note at idle and under full throttle, would never look back.

I've put an IPE system on my C4S with the hi-flow cats and the valvetronic system. I really like it. I usually run it around in sport mode, and its no issue on the highway, however if you run it with tthe valves closed its really good with no drone. 

On 15/10/2020 at 19:20, 911CSR said:

I've put an IPE system on my C4S with the hi-flow cats and the valvetronic system. I really like it. I usually run it around in sport mode, and its no issue on the highway, however if you run it with tthe valves closed its really good with no drone. 

Be interested to hear it sometime. 

• 2 years later...

Hi there, I’m also looking to upgrade my 82SC rear exhaust.  It’s 1 in and 1 out by the looks. I love the sound of the M & k system from my brief online listening. Does this simply bolt on after removing the existing system? In other words no tuning or other adjustments??

the end goal is a better breathing and slightly better sounding car. Extra power isn’t the objective.

My Porsche mechanic seems to think there is more too it and it may have a knock on effect in other areas.

Suggest you have a closer look and maybe take a photo of what's on it now.  This may save some time and confusion.  There tends to be two levels of exhaust modifications:

If you are just after a change in sound, changing the rear muffler alone may be enough for you.  Cost would be around $1000

If you want to go further changing the existing headers to SSI's and adding a 2 in/ 1 out (or 2 out but you may risk suffering annoying drone at highway speeds) will cost in the 4 or 5 grand area.

These changes will not result in difficulties with your CIS.  Maybe an adjustment to the idle mixture.

Checkout what is there now and post a photo is my first suggestion.