2018 Macan Front End Low Speed Skipping

Pork Chops

I've posted this on a FB group so sorry if it's a double up to you.

I'm interested in hearing from Macan GTS owners. I've got a 2018 model and the front wheels hop and skip at low speed turns with a bit of lock. e.g. when you do u-turns or pull out of your drive. It's on the orignal tyres which have around 35k klms on them and they need replacing, and the car hasn't been aligned since it was delivered. The dealer's comment is that it might get better with new tyres (which it will get shortly), but that it's an inherent characteristic of the car, and I am to understand it's normal, and that it won't go away. It's hard to remember exactly but I reckon it's been there in some way all the time but is very pronounced at this stage.

Has anyone else experienced what I'm describing and if so what did you do? Accept it? Change tyres? Something else?

Thanks in advance. Pic of delivery day is below.

2 hours ago, edgy said:

@Pork Chops 

Dads GTS just had exactly this, it was the transfer case... PCSS took care of right it away. 

His is a MY17 with 30,000 kms 

My car is a MY17 Turbo with double the miles, no problems... allegedly it is more common with lower mile cars that do predominantly around town commute?

Interesting.  So they replaced the transfer case under warranty?  What were the symptoms and did the new transfer case entirely fix the problem?

I just had a Macan gts undergo a ppi at Autohaus & they found some wear in the front bushes....said it was typical of Macans (car had very very low kms on it, 3 and a bit years old).  I was surprised that something with such low kms would show wear anywhere...may or may not be related to what you've mentioned but might be worth calling them & asking the question.

6 minutes ago, Pork Chops said:

Interesting.  So they replaced the transfer case under warranty?  What were the symptoms and did the new transfer case entirely fix the problem?

All the same symptoms as you had, particularly with steering inputs and low speeds (ie car parks) and sometimes taking off.. more specifically it is the centre diff in the transfer that causes this, the clutches in the centre diff I believe is what goes afoul they said... when a centre diff goes in an AWD car, it'll feel as though the drivetrain has "wind up" and then it unwinds giving you the hop/skip/shudder sensation. 

Yes, they fixed under warranty no questions asked, I simply contact my guy at PCSS service and explained it, he booked it in right away and ordered the new transfer case... it was a 1 day job... luckily we keep extending warranty.

This has resolved the issue 100% 

• 2 weeks later...

PCM ended up agreeing to replace the transfer case. Wasn’t the easiest process...but anyhow, it got done. My wife tells me the worst of the problem is now gone.

My Pirellis P Zeros are all due for replacement. I understand there are Michelin and Conti options that are OE. Any recommendations for those that have swapped tyres on their Macan?

This is a soccer Mum car so wear, refinement and minimising the shudder (what’s left of it) are the priorities. We got 35k Klms from the first set of Pirellis.