What brand of oil and viscosity for a 3.6L 964

911Gbanger

8 hours ago, Frank said:

Although Porsche recommends Mobil 1 5/40, the best oil on the market is AMSOIL.

Been shown and proven by every independant testing so if you want the best, get Amsoil.

Regards

That's a big assertion Frank.  "Every independent" test shows it's the best? 

By what definition do you define the best anyway?

I'm interested to hear your reasoning.

21 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

....A very good quality oil that has a high zddp rating which is what you need in an aircooled engine.

RwGreeny,

Why do you need a high zddp "rating" for an air cooled engine?

Interested to hear your reasoning.

If you google “oil” in the PFA search bar you will find we have already broken the internet as well as the bounds of truth and logic several times on this site on the topic of oil, hence the lack of reply from most of the forums old timers.

The 964 is not a complex or stressed engine, you are not Walter Rohl, if you like the thought of ZDDP then Penrite folk are as good as any (just use the HPR10 synthetic not the race PAO Ester synthetics as it is not meant for multiple duty cycles and ring blow, it is meant to be changed every race weekend) but there are plenty of other fringe brands that do high ZDDP, otherwise just go to Repco (20% off sale today) and pick any colour bottle you like in the correct grade and just change it every 6 months, it’s really not that complicated.

Charles Navarro is as learned as any, his article is below if you insist on over intellectualising the issue. 

https://lnengineering.com/oil.html

13 hours ago, Peter M said:

RwGreeny,

Why do you need a high zddp "rating" for an air cooled engine?

Interested to hear your reasoning.

I would guess that RwGreeny is probably referring to flat tappet design rather then air cooled, even though the air cooled cars are flat tappet design.

Regards

Sean

On 23/10/2020 at 08:13, 550Spyder said:

... then Penrite folk are as good as any (just use the HPR10 synthetic not the race PAO Ester synthetics as it is not meant for multiple duty cycles and ring blow, it is meant to be changed every race weekend) but there are plenty of other fringe brands that do high ZDDP, otherwise just go to Repco (20% off sale today) and pick any colour bottle you like in the correct grade and just change it every 6 months, it’s really not that complicated....

Interesting comments Mr Spyder.  

Why is Penrite HPR10 a better choice than  Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 15w-50 for a street driven air cooled 911?  "Multiple duty cycles and ring blow"?

Both oils have essentially the same API and ACEA certifications and almost the same TBN (10.0 vs 9.8 respectively).  What am I overlooking?

HPR10 might be considered a bit light on in the ZDDP stakes while you can argue 10 Tenths is a bit over the top.  (Zn 0.108% vs 0.168%.  Does it matter?  I don't think anyone could prove conclusively one way or the other.) 

What "fringe brands" are you referring to that have "high ZDDP" that would also be suitable?

And why change every 6 months?  It would be a rare air cooled nowadays that does mostly short commutes or more than 10,000km/year . 

I think you are right though, it's shouldn't really be that complicated and we should feel confident in making a choice at Repco/Supercheap/Autobarn.  I think it gets complicated due to misinformation. 

On 23/10/2020 at 08:21, Buchanan Automotive said:

I would guess that RwGreeny is probably referring to flat tappet design....

Sean,

You're probably right as the flat tappet design used in American V8's was probably the catalyst for all our interest in ZDDP nearly 40 years ago. 

But the flat tappet of a small block Chev with their gently spherical crowned followers and tapered lobes, necessary to make the followers turn in their bores to equalise and minimise wear, is different to an air cooled valvetrain with their sliding follower rocker arms.   Not saying that ZDDP isn't essential in an old 911 or there isn't similarities in the valvetrain's lubrication demands, but they're not the same design.    

On 21/10/2020 at 20:28, Peter M said:

That's a big assertion Frank.  "Every independent" test shows it's the best? 

By what definition do you define the best anyway?

I'm interested to hear your reasoning.

https://blog.amsoil.com/amsoil-vs-mobil-1-how-we-perform/

Have a look at the link above and a Google search for AMSOIL.

Some time ago a good mate put me onto it who has Ferraris and gets his oils analised after every change.

The main difference is the quality as all other oils were/are made to a budget, be it $5.00/Litre or whatever.

Amsoil set out to make the best oil and set the budget accordingly or that is what I have found out after researching oils for 6 month.

It is very expensive but I have noticed a quieter motor in my 987, my Golf and my V6 Amarok, they warm up quicker and hopefully protect all moving parts.

There is lots of very informative engine oil info on the web, much of it totally independant and AMSOIl seems to have the goods.