The ugliest Porsche in Aus'

MFX

Jeff, I've never seen the inside of a Boxster head but is there enough room to weld a nut to the top of the bolt and then apply some heat to the surrounding area. That might be enough to get that bolt out.

17 hours ago, 3legs said:

Jeff, I've never seen the inside of a Boxster head but is there enough room to weld a nut to the top of the bolt and then apply some heat to the surrounding area. That might be enough to get that bolt out.

Heat may work, but in my experience I have never had much luck with welding nuts on. Generally the weld snaps too easily.

Drilling a hole in the side of the block?  Sounds like there were never plans to rebuild that engine, even if it was a simple fix :RockingDeath:

Reminded me of your dyno test on Harry, wheels rubbing........get the grinder out and cut those rear wheel lips away........balls of steel, love your work!

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, MFX said:
In this video I remove the 4.2 litre V8 engine and transmission from my 2003 Audi C5 A6, getting ready to swap it into the 'Roxster' my Porsche Boxster track car.

What a great swap! Seeing that gearbox bolt right up made me realize how amazing this combo is.

Looking forward to watching the series Jeff.

10 hours ago, rego said:

What a great swap! Seeing that gearbox bolt right up made me realize how amazing this combo is.

Looking forward to watching the series Jeff.

Thanks mate. I heard about it quite some time ago, but it was a relief that it actually worked ;)

Being a huge Shitster fan, this will be great to follow, sounds like the standard Audi donk will out perform a hotted S3.2 straight up. Interested why you're keeping the 5 speed instead of using a Cayman S 6 Speed? And will be interesting on the weight comparison from the 2.5 to the Audi. Anyway, you go good man, give her a clean and bolt her straight in - this'll be a cinch, what could possibly go wrong! :Beer: Or :PissedOff:

6 hours ago, Coastr said:

I’m curious now what the size difference to a 915 box is with the Boxster transaxle.  I guess if it fit in a g- body someone would have done it by now 

The Boxster trans axle is physically smaller than the 915. The issue with putting that transaxle into an aircooled would be that you would need to reverse the gearing as it sits the other way around in a Boxster.

4 hours ago, MFX said:

The Boxster trans axle is physically smaller than the 915. The issue with putting that transaxle into an aircooled would be that you would need to reverse the gearing as it sits the other way around in a Boxster.

Wouldn’t it “only” be the crown wheel ?

I wonder how easy it is, if it could be done.   May be a good supply/conversion for early cars if it is.

can the gearbox be run upside down?

5 hours ago, MFX said:

People have done this with Subaru trans - flipped it around.  At least it’s ‘in the family’, can apparently handle more HP and supply is plentiful.  Might even be able to shift down without crunching.  Something to ponder for another day.