The ugliest Porsche in Aus'

MFX

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Wouldn’t it “only” be the crown wheel ?

I wonder how easy it is, if it could be done.   May be a good supply/conversion for early cars if it is.

can the gearbox be run upside down?

Probably. I have no idea, as the internal workings of gearboxes are still a mystery to me ;)

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

People have done this with Subaru trans - flipped it around.  At least it’s ‘in the family’, can apparently handle more HP and supply is plentiful.  Might even be able to shift down without crunching.  Something to ponder for another day.

Yes. @MrRPJ had a Subaru trans the was converted to fit in the back of his LS powered 911. He did blow it up, but that was with a lot more torque going through it than your typical aircooled engine. From memory it was cheaper and stronger than buying a 915.

16 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

I did a bit of research and yes you can invert the gearbox.

Also second gear in the early Boxter is a bit fragile.

The 6 speed is stronger than the 5 speed

I did know that the 6 speed was better, but that is interesting that it is possible to flip it around.

In this episode I weigh both the old Boxster engine and the V8 I am swapping into it, to see just how much extra weight I am adding to the Roxster.

I don’t know much about vag products but in a Bmw you would need the key barrel surround, key, immobiliser, cluster and dme (computer) to get that engine to run.  Otherwise if the dme talks to the key barrel and the immobiliaer then the cluster and they don’t agree they all belong to the same car no start.    Maybe all this stuff has been worked out with engine swaps and coding but I would be hanging onto that body until you have the engine running in the new car.  Otherwise you have to junk the factory computer amd run an aftermarket one. 

10 hours ago, Coastr said:

I don’t know much about vag products but in a Bmw you would need the key barrel surround, key, immobiliser, cluster and dme (computer) to get that engine to run.  Otherwise if the dme talks to the key barrel and the immobiliaer then the cluster and they don’t agree they all belong to the same car no start.    Maybe all this stuff has been worked out with engine swaps and coding but I would be hanging onto that body until you have the engine running in the new car.  Otherwise you have to junk the factory computer amd run an aftermarket one. 

I will be hanging on to the car until it is running, but guys have got it running with both Porsche and Audi ecu's running together and they dont need the key. So hopefully it whould not be too crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, MFX said:
This week I quickly recap the damage to Harry 911 and then I get stuck into fitting the engine into the Roxster.

progress is progress jeff

any thought to cutting away unnecessary rear inner sheet metal -ala 560

e.g rear luggage area and putting back a frame /extra tubing to reinforce if required 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, OZ930 said:

If it’s just a track hack, couldn’t you just cut a hole into the rear boot for the intake ?

I definitely looked at that, but there is a big structural beam right in the way. If I can use the factory side scoop for the air feed is also a plus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jeff,

Just had a look at your YouTube video.

You may have been given a few bum steers. In order to set up a working can bus and make make the ecu talk with the OBDi port you need a gateway. That part is Audi 8T0 907 468R. The A6 you got the motor from should have one somewhere behind the dash. Many manufacturers use a gateway of some description to tie up all the data processing. I have one you can have if you still want to have a go at flashing the ecu.

When I had plans of putting a Audi 3.2ltr V6 in my 944, as it was direct injection, the only cost effective solution was the Audi ecu and I found that hooking the bastard up was not that easy and hence the discovered the above gateway. Thankfully in the end the motor was toast and I went down a different track.

Also 12v anywhere near a USB port is death to the USB board which in turn will cause the laptop to not power up. Try opening it up and disconnecting that USB port and you may find the lappy will play again.

12 hours ago, Jaffar said:

Jeff,

Just had a look at your YouTube video.

You may have been given a few bum steers. In order to set up a working can bus and make make the ecu talk with the OBDi port you need a gateway. That part is Audi 8T0 907 468R. The A6 you got the motor from should have one somewhere behind the dash. Many manufacturers use a gateway of some description to tie up all the data processing. I have one you can have if you still want to have a go at flashing the ecu.

When I had plans of putting a Audi 3.2ltr V6 in my 944, as it was direct injection, the only cost effective solution was the Audi ecu and I found that hooking the bastard up was not that easy and hence the discovered the above gateway. Thankfully in the end the motor was toast and I went down a different track.

Also 12v anywhere near a USB port is death to the USB board which in turn will cause the laptop to not power up. Try opening it up and disconnecting that USB port and you may find the lappy will play again.

There are plenty who have done it the way I did, but the cable I bought had a chip that wasn't compatible to their software. Either way, I am going to go for a full stand alone as it will be better for future growth.

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2020 at 18:34, MFX said:
This is definitely the ugliest Porsche in Australia (and possibly the world). I would like to introduce the new Home Built project car, the '98 Porsche Boxster with a host of very questionable modifications.

I'd like to own up to one of those questionable modifications.

I had that exact eagle sticker on the sunroof of my Mark IV Cortina as a teen.

The car in question was cream with a vinyl roof, louvres on the back window, and air horns that played La Cucaracha. The engine was so knackered it wouldn't do a skid so we'd roll it backwards down a hill near my friends house in the rain and then slam it into drive.

Ahhh, good times.

47 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

I'd like to own up to one of those questionable modifications.

I had that exact eagle sticker on the sunroof of my Mark IV Cortina as a teen.

The car in question was cream with a vinyl roof, louvres on the back window, and air horns that played La Cucaracha. The engine was so knackered it wouldn't do a skid so we'd roll it backwards down a hill near my friends house in the rain and then slam it into drive.

Ahhh, good times.

I may have done the same in my car as a teenager which was a Datsun 200B wagon named 'the sponge', which accurately described it's handling ;) 

• 2 weeks later...