Jump to content
MFX

The ugliest Porsche in Aus'

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Wouldn’t it “only” be the crown wheel ?

I wonder how easy it is, if it could be done.   May be a good supply/conversion for early cars if it is.

can the gearbox be run upside down?

Probably. I have no idea, as the internal workings of gearboxes are still a mystery to me ;)

 

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

People have done this with Subaru trans - flipped it around.  At least it’s ‘in the family’, can apparently handle more HP and supply is plentiful.  Might even be able to shift down without crunching.  Something to ponder for another day.

Yes. @MrRPJ had a Subaru trans the was converted to fit in the back of his LS powered 911. He did blow it up, but that was with a lot more torque going through it than your typical aircooled engine. From memory it was cheaper and stronger than buying a 915.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a bit of research and yes you can invert the gearbox.

 Also second gear in the early Boxter is a bit fragile.

The 6 speed is stronger than the 5 speed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

I did a bit of research and yes you can invert the gearbox.

 Also second gear in the early Boxter is a bit fragile.

The 6 speed is stronger than the 5 speed

 

I did know that the 6 speed was better, but that is interesting that it is possible to flip it around.

 

In this episode I weigh both the old Boxster engine and the V8 I am swapping into it, to see just how much extra weight I am adding to the Roxster.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know much about vag products but in a Bmw you would need the key barrel surround, key, immobiliser, cluster and dme (computer) to get that engine to run.  Otherwise if the dme talks to the key barrel and the immobiliaer then the cluster and they don’t agree they all belong to the same car no start.    Maybe all this stuff has been worked out with engine swaps and coding but I would be hanging onto that body until you have the engine running in the new car.  Otherwise you have to junk the factory computer amd run an aftermarket one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coastr said:

I don’t know much about vag products but in a Bmw you would need the key barrel surround, key, immobiliser, cluster and dme (computer) to get that engine to run.  Otherwise if the dme talks to the key barrel and the immobiliaer then the cluster and they don’t agree they all belong to the same car no start.    Maybe all this stuff has been worked out with engine swaps and coding but I would be hanging onto that body until you have the engine running in the new car.  Otherwise you have to junk the factory computer amd run an aftermarket one. 

I will be hanging on to the car until it is running, but guys have got it running with both Porsche and Audi ecu's running together and they dont need the key. So hopefully it whould not be too crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This week I quickly recap the damage to Harry 911 and then I get stuck into fitting the engine into the Roxster.
 
  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MFX said:
This week I quickly recap the damage to Harry 911 and then I get stuck into fitting the engine into the Roxster.
 

progress is progress jeff

any thought to cutting away unnecessary rear inner sheet metal -ala 560

 

 e.g rear luggage area and putting back a frame /extra tubing to reinforce if required 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This week I get stuck into fabricating a subframe to mount the Audi V8 into the Roxster.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This week I finish off the subframe to mount the Audi V8 into the Roxster. This includes the engine mounts, gussets and crush tubes.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Jeff, that subframe would look great Cad Plated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This week I work on plumbing in the radiator and power steering pumps from the Audi engine to the Roxster.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...