Bump Steer Correcting Tie Rod Kit - worth it ?

911Gbanger

A thought To ponder sir,  if the components are tired Old and worn...  (sounds like you describing a best mate of mine) , then don’t dally dilly, get stuck in like @tk111 and replace all with alacrity yet calm process driven demeanour.

one of the best solutions aside from losing gut weight to improve porsche driving characteristics, fresh  steering and suspension.

is your 964  slammed and scraping ? Bump steer kit can be  worthwhile either with the tweaked tie rods or the rack spacer.

that aside it’s always good at beginning, mid and end of a PFA brethren, run to skite about ones underpinnings.. ER make pretty stuff

2 hours ago, michel said:

A thought To ponder sir,  if the components are tired Old and worn...  (sounds like you describing a best mate of mine) , then don’t dally dilly, get stuck in like @tk111 and replace all with alacrity yet calm process driven demeanour.

one of the best solutions aside from losing gut weight to improve porsche driving characteristics, fresh  steering and suspension.

is your 964  slammed and scraping ? Bump steer kit can be  worthwhile either with the tweaked tie rods or the rack spacer.

that aside it’s always good at beginning, mid and end of a PFA brethren, run to skite about ones underpinnings.. ER make pretty stuff

7A2D7B8E-1C91-4B8C-A2DF-CE78C6189C64.gif

1 hour ago, 911Gbanger said:

7A2D7B8E-1C91-4B8C-A2DF-CE78C6189C64.gif

Why do you want to install this kit ?

you have unwanted bump steer in your lowered stanced, slammed 964?

my other thoughts are its all tired , as you mentioned  then Replace refresh everything that’s shagged as a component group . 

ER , rebel others make great gear . But  STD/oem equivalents can also be just as great , just not as brag worthy . 

simple rack spacer works also.

What’s  your purpose ?

10 hours ago, michel said:

Agree with the bold underlined, and the rest. Do one thing at a time to find the major culprits. My lovely little 73 has gotten better and better with every new piece of underwear. Surprised by the improvement gained with some part renewals. Like any car some worn parts can transmit their problems, especially to the steering.

19 hours ago, michel said:

Why do you want to install this kit ?

you have unwanted bump steer in your lowered stanced, slammed 964?

my other thoughts are its all tired , as you mentioned  then Replace refresh everything that’s shagged as a component group . 

ER , rebel others make great gear . But  STD/oem equivalents can also be just as great , just not as brag worthy . 

simple rack spacer works also.

What’s  your purpose ?

Purpose is to replace the tie rods. Rather than just replace it with standard parts. I thought this would be an ‘upgrade’. They don’t cost much more than just replacing them part for part so I thought why not? 

lol I’m not one for bragging . Not sure if that’s a Porsche guy thing. I’m wanting to improve the car for my own selfish reasons certainly not to impress anyone else.  You can’t even see this part once it’s in the car 🤦‍♂️

Let me make the question even clearer lol. Would this replacement part improve the car or not ? Even a slight improvement? 

54 minutes ago, 911Gbanger said:

Let me make the question even clearer lol. Would this replacement part improve the car or not ? Even a slight improvement? 

I think they look like a clever solution And incorporates two “improvements” in one.

The question is really, is your car lowered and consequently the changed geometry is causing bump steer?

@mfx did a great video on bump steer that demonstrates what a kit like this helps correct.

If you have standard geometry, you may not benefit from this bump steer assistance. I suppose if it can be used with standard geometry (ride height) it gives you options if you do lower the stance in the future.

A word of caution, it is a slippery slope..

45 minutes ago, 911Gbanger said:

Purpose is to replace the tie rods. Rather than just replace it with standard parts. I thought this would be an ‘upgrade’. They don’t cost much more than just replacing them part for part so I thought why not? 

lol I’m not one for bragging . Not sure if that’s a Porsche guy thing. I’m wanting to improve the car for my own selfish reasons certainly not to impress anyone else.  You can’t even see this part once it’s in the car 🤦‍♂️

Yes. It can be an improvement or imprudent 

you decide 

but let me make it clear . 

is your car lowered stanced slammed? if it isn’t or not to be in the future just by STD . Little benefit Aside from previously mentioned ... mid coffee skiting,  not mid corner late braking .

the Q..  Is all your suspension-steering, old shagged, sloppy, worn ? If so, quantify what needs to be replaced and do it as a whole component group .

Piecemeal replacement  IMO , if you know what needs replacement is not worthwhile. If tie rods ball joints and all other bushes etc are past use by dates ... pull em all out 

@tk111 is currently refreshing all his underneath bits and at first,  a deeply recalcitrant parts shopper, but thx to @Gus and yours truly, he’s now on the right path to a holus bolus Steering suspension refresh .

Best thing by far he’s done to his long suffering car in a long time ..now to get him to drop a few kilos 

and will get his Wakefield lap times down 

Yes. It can be an improvement or imprudent 

you decide 

but let me make it clear . 

is your car lowered stanced slammed? if it isn’t or not to be in the future just by STD . Little benefit Aside from previously mentioned ... mid coffee skiting,  not mid corner late braking .

the Q..  Is all your suspension-steering, old shagged, sloppy, worn ? If so, quantify what needs to be replaced and do it as a whole component group .

Piecemeal replacement  IMO , if you know what needs replacement is not worthwhile. If tie rods ball joints and all other bushes etc are past use by dates ... pull em all out 

@tk111 is currently refreshing all his underneath bits and at first,  a deeply recalcitrant parts shopper, but thx to @Gus and yours truly, he’s now on the right path to a holus bolus Steering suspension refresh .

Best thing by far he’s done to his long suffering car in a long time ..now to get him to drop a few kilos 

and will get his Wakefield lap times down 

Answers to your questions 

yes it’s lowered - no it’s not slammed 

I’m not a by (buy) STD Kinda guy. 

Honestly I do appreciate your replies but is the above even English?

Anyway this particular part is amongst many other steering components I’m replacing. From all accounts it sounds like it’ll do more good than bad. 

7 minutes ago, 911Gbanger said:

Answers to your questions 

yes it’s lowered - no it’s not slammed 

I’m not a by (buy) STD Kinda guy. 

Anyway this particular part is amongst many other steering components I’m replacing. From all accounts it sounds like it’ll do more good than bad. 

Excellent ! Full disclosure 

buy (bi, by)  the tie rods And enjoy 

p.s I enjoy Ulysses yet still have no idea what J.J is on , or on about 

24 minutes ago, michel said:

Excellent ! Full disclosure 

buy (bi, by)  the tie rods And enjoy 

p.s I enjoy Ulysses yet still have no idea what J.J is on , or on about 

Lol thank you 🙂 

3 hours ago, tk111 said:

I think they look like a clever solution And incorporates two “improvements” in one.

The question is really, is your car lowered and consequently the changed geometry is causing bump steer?

@mfx did a great video on bump steer that demonstrates what a kit like this helps correct.

If you have standard geometry, you may not benefit from this bump steer assistance. I suppose if it can be used with standard geometry (ride height) it gives you options if you do lower the stance in the future.

Thanks for your reply 🙂

I see what you mean lol.

2 hours ago, 911Gbanger said:

Looks good, sounds good, just do it:D

No it's not just you mate, he's got everyone looking through the Thesaurus.

p.s I enjoy Ulysses yet still have no idea what Michel is on , or on about 

Fixed.