Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

Drove from Tamworth to Williamtown via Port Stephens Cutting, Thunderbolts Way and Buckets Way.

The road to the cutting is typical country road. Winding narrow, but 2 lanes and 80 speed limit. Only cruising so might have nudged it a little.

The Cutting is steep and old school narrow with some parts not wide enough for cars to pass let alone the truck coming down in opposite direction. Had to reverse to an overtaking verge so we could pass.  Only about 20 metres fortunately.  The guide Post are the wooden post style with wire rope strung between them.  The posts are set at the drop off point.......no margin.  And it's straight down.

On top, the road opens to some really nice challenging corners, unfortunately the road surface wasn't consistent.

Thunderbolts Way was rough with some smooth bits. Caught behind a timber jinker for about 10 km.  Speed limit was 90 with a section of 80 because it was a bike danger area or some such rubbish.. I last did the road when it was dirt in my old Datto 1600 but don't remember it being this rough.

Into Gloucester and the Buckets Way.  Rough, very few overtaking opportunities, 80 & 90 speed limits and caught behind some idiot doing 10 slower than posted limits EVERYWHERE !! Finally pulled over at Stroud by pulling over to the RHS of the road then turned left across the road and traffic that was banked up behind, so they could reverse into their driveway.  Finally clear of traffic.....na! A truck towing earth moving machine pulls out in front and does 15 under.  Road was so rough to overtake would be suicide.

After 77 km of Buckets Way onto the Highway for about 5 km then left turn to Williamtown.

Ok, I wanted to do the roads, but don't think I will do them again until they get repaired.  So I guess I won't be doing them again.....unless Barnaby actually gets it done like he said he would.

Took the IROC to Phillip Island for a bit of a shake down pre Bathurst.  As planned, a few things came up that needed attention.  

Throttle linkage came loose, bridge wire for fuel pump needed attention, new engine wiring loom needed to be inspected.  All easily done at the track. We nearly didn’t make it as we needed bigger chokes for the PMO’s that had to come from the US but they got here Tuesday so they were fitted, we put the thing on the dyno for mixtures and away we go.

We’ve made the engine swap process a bit “plug and play” so that both motors can be easily swapped in and out.   It’s been a while since I used 5th gear as most recent tracks have been short.  So, we need to change 5th gear synchro as its struggling when I do the 4th to 5th change at 8000 rpm.  

Even after all that, the rebuilt/new motor did the job and should be the business for hauling the little beast up and down the hill at Bathurst.  The schedule just came out and there’s a practice and qualifying on Thursday, a race first up Friday, a short “trophy” race Saturday morning and another longer one later in the day and the its the 8.30 am curtain raiser on the Sunday.

I’m also trialing a new 20/50 Gulf Western oil.  Its the same stuff that Victor Bray uses in his 5000 hp drag car so ... should be OK.  For these race motors, its all about stability and control at high temps and whilst I have a load of cooling, things still get very hot.

Whilst the guys were attending to some of the fixes, I took the 991.1 GT3 RS out for a session.  Dear oh dear.  What a weapon.  On road tyres and settings, it still amazed.  I left all the nanny buttons on as well.  The intervention of the “I’ve got this now idiot” software is commendably high ...

They were 40 minutes sessions so I jumped out of the GT3 and into the IROC.  Holy cow.  Its was like jumping into another time zone.  Took a couple of laps to realise that we were not in Kansas anymore ...

Anyway, a good day.

2 hours ago, 9fan said:

Hope we get some sort of TV time of you in action at Bathurst !   

I like to punt the M135 around but still favour the old school drive of the 68.

If I’m anywhere near the pointy end then I may get a mention.  

Given yesterday’s times, there’s a better than even chance that if I keep my head I may get some air time ...

13 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Drove from Tamworth to Williamtown via Port Stephens Cutting, Thunderbolts Way and Buckets Way.

The road to the cutting is typical country road. Winding narrow, but 2 lanes and 80 speed limit. Only cruising so might have nudged it a little.

The Cutting is steep and old school narrow with some parts not wide enough for cars to pass let alone the truck coming down in opposite direction. Had to reverse to an overtaking verge so we could pass.  Only about 20 metres fortunately.  The guide Post are the wooden post style with wire rope strung between them.  The posts are set at the drop off point.......no margin.  And it's straight down.

On top, the road opens to some really nice challenging corners, unfortunately the road surface wasn't consistent.

Thunderbolts Way was rough with some smooth bits. Caught behind a timber jinker for about 10 km.  Speed limit was 90 with a section of 80 because it was a bike danger area or some such rubbish.. I last did the road when it was dirt in my old Datto 1600 but don't remember it being this rough.

Into Gloucester and the Buckets Way.  Rough, very few overtaking opportunities, 80 & 90 speed limits and caught behind some idiot doing 10 slower than posted limits EVERYWHERE !! Finally pulled over at Stroud by pulling over to the RHS of the road then turned left across the road and traffic that was banked up behind, so they could reverse into their driveway.  Finally clear of traffic.....na! A truck towing earth moving machine pulls out in front and does 15 under.  Road was so rough to overtake would be suicide.

After 77 km of Buckets Way onto the Highway for about 5 km then left turn to Williamtown.

Ok, I wanted to do the roads, but don't think I will do them again until they get repaired.  So I guess I won't be doing them again.....unless Barnaby actually gets it done like he said he would.

You should have txt me mate and i would have told you all that:D

8 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

You should have txt me mate and i would have told you all that:D

It's ok, I had to do it.  Hadn't driven it for years. Amazed that the road from Gloucester is still the same, if not worse, rough track that it was back then.  No improvements at all.

Drove back today up the New England. The road north of Muswellbrook is really good now and they have started on the Scone bi-pass.  Now if they could bi-pass Singleton and Muswellbrook.....

@Skidmarks I used to ride for the Gulf Western team with 1000cc bikes.

The guys that built the engines swear by their oils. Not only very well respected engine builders and tuners to a lot of teams, they're running their own 500hp Hayabusa turbo street/drag bikes that do 8's in the 1/4 mile. They tried a few different products with the heat thing in mind, and we never had a problem overheating even on very hot days when racing, and the engines were always in great condition when pulled apart to freshen up inbetween meetings

Decided to head for the hills with Ryder yesterday. Being around lunch time there were plenty of cars around so I resigned myself to taking it easy. Ended up stopping in Gembrook for one of the finest scones I've ever had! Decided to give Gembrook Launching Place road a run and was glad I did. Had a pretty much clear run which was perfection!

spencer_store_001

gembrook_002

52 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

Decided to head for the hills with Ryder yesterday. Being around lunch time there were plenty of cars around so I resigned myself to taking it easy. Ended up stopping in Gembrook for one of the finest scones I've ever had! Decided to give Gembrook Launching Place road a run and was glad I did. Had a pretty much clear run which was perfection!

spencer_store_001

I see you couldn't keep up with the Bugeye as he got there first. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Road trip.

Took off Tuesday late afternoon with my 12 yo son in the passenger seat of the Ranger Raptor (nice car - coils at the rear help the ride a lot) and headed for the most boring strip of long distance road in Australia. ...

Albury. Stop off at a hotel for an early start for the run to Bathurst. 

Wednesday

Made it there at around 130 and headed for the Tickford pits to collect my car (the team took my car up in their transporter).  Went to start it ... nuthin'.  Ahh, the emergency cut off switch ... So, now the motor is cranking like a 14 yo boy with a new lifestyle magazine.  No fire.  Mechanics at Tickford helpfully observe "hey boss, think I'll get me a Porsche ...!".  F%^k!  Breathe ... breathe ... 

So, at this point it's officially "not off to a good start".  Then I observe the ignition toggle switch. Nonchalantly reach over whilst not looking at it, flick it and murmur to myself "kick it in the guts Barry".  Fire!!  Idiot ...

Up to the TCM tent, ease the car in and wait to the van to arrive with the rest of the gear.  We unload and do the next natural thing - look for beer and then onto the house we'd rented for the duration.  Beer bought, protein and carbohydrates for the BBQ.  Settle in for the night as its a 6.45 drivers briefing and 7.25 on the track to be the road sweepers.

Thursday

4 am, lift head and hear - rain.  Lots of rain.  Yes it was coming but I had not expected it in quantities that would suggest that all of the local fauna starts pairing up and heading for a big boat.  Maybe it'll ease off by morning.  Big NO on that one.  Still biblical when we jump into the truck and head for the track.  Big achievement of the morning already out of the way though.  Got said son out of bed!

Arrive at the track.  Cold, dark, wet.  Great ...

Drivers briefing was mercifully short and we scurry back to our pits and the next big test for the day. Getting in the pajamas's without them and the socks being soaked.  Spot a bit of cardboard the size of a postage stamp to stand on.  Nureyev would have been proud to witness the controlled movements that were required to get that job done!  Much mirth from the guys and my "soon to be auctioned off to the highest bidder" son!

Jump in the car, head off to the dummy grid (an apt description of anyone who was prepared to venture out in those conditions), smug in the knowledge that my heated windscreen would give me the greatest competitive advantage of the day.  Fog free vision.  Worked a treat in the pits.  But on restart of the engine, rain light not working.  Blown fuse and as the screen is linked to the rain light.  

Karma I say as Tim pays for the gut laugh he enjoyed watching me get dressed and runs back to the pits in the rain in search of a fuse.  Returns, job done but I'm now at the back of the pack as everyone has headed out.  Hey, wait.  Its a clear track and no spray from the pack of land barges that I'm racing against!  

(To be continued ...)

PART 2

So, I ease the car out onto pit lane.  Wipers on, balls into cast iron mode, park fear at the door.

I’m.

At.

Bathurst!!!

Holy mother of Horsepower.  Might have to be a bit easier on the throttle ... Garner warned me that wheelspin might be a bit more “pronounced” than normal.  No shit ... The thing has a load of torque.  Like - a lot.  I was bagging them up in 3rd and 4th up Moutain Straight.  

The dyno gave some big numbers in the end.  A comfortable 410+ hp.  How do you get that from a 3.6 you ask?  You don’t.  You build an engine that might be a touch over 3.9 ... 

Anyway, back to the story.  Hoosier wets are a good thing but in 10 degree ambient and torrential rain, getting heat into them is akin to trying to form a relationship with (insert name of super hot thing of great beauty and intelligence) ... no chance.

So, light touch, slow everything down and try and feel the slip (note - no grip, just varying levels of slip ...).

This place is daunting in the dry so man, in the wet its one objective.  Get through the session.

Arrive at Griffins, breathe on the brake, turn and eeeaaaassssee on the throttle.  Cue more wheelspin. Up the run to the Cutting.  Oh dear.

(TBC)

Quick 15 minute drive in the 996 to a friend's place, with another mate in the passenger's seat who will drive my car to Hobart at the weekend.  Pick up race prepared 996 GT3 (ex Pritchard Targa car) to take to Hobart for our 70th Display and Baskerville laps on Saturday.  First time in GT3, let alone driving one.  Holy sh!t this is loud, and revs like buggery, very squeaky suspension, even with softness dialed in ? . I know because of it's  racing heritage this isn't like a "normal" GT3, but very impressive.  Will need to be prepared for a 2 1/2 drive in it with earplugs etc, as the noise could get a bit draining me thinks.  Also will need to avoid a wee break if I can, contortions required of this 58 yo unfit and fat body to get in and out......

Part 3

... So, pissing down as I tip toe over the top looking for grip.  Actually, I wasn’t looking as there was very little and I was not interested in finding out where it was!

Coming over the top at McPhillamy and then into Skyline ... whoa boy ...

The Dipper - lets see if there’s any grip there.  Negatory Big Budgie.

Make it to Forrest and deep breath ... Conrod.

I can now say that I know you can do silly speeds in the wet.  Plucking gears and then 5th before the rise down the the Chase.  Shall I go WOT?  Sure, WTF, what’s the worst that can happen?

So carve through the Chase and pull it up OK.  There must now be at least 9 deg C in the tyres...

Short shift on the right hander then give it some slipper down to Murrays, avoid the white lines and hook it in.  More grip.  Tyres must be at 11 degrees!!

Made it.  Now lets do that 5 more times.

Got to around lap 3 and really started to enjoy the ride.  Working on sections of the track now.  Pace picking up.

At the end of the session for of the Truly Crazy front runners were blasting past me on Conrod like I was standing still. And I thought I was on it.

Looking at the splits in the first couple of sectors made me feel OK about my pace.  Anyway, got through it just fine.  The car is great in the wet so given that it looks like a wet qualifying I’m comfortable I’ll be OK.

So, now for the other part of a race weekend.  The waiting ............

Qualifying was pretty much a “take 2” exercise.  It was slightly less wet at the start of the session and I didn’t capitalize on that as the back end of the session got wetter.  The alternative explanation is that I woosed out.  I’d cop that ...

Self (and car) preservation is the order of the day in those conditions.  Its a long race weekend and I know Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be great weather so that’s when the fun begins.

(TBC).  

PCT 70 anniversary celebrations today ; display of around 65 cars  (spanning 1958-2018) at Salamanca Hobart , then parade and laps at Baskerville raceway and soon  to be  - the dinner on Hobart waterfront.
Coupla pics for now.

I took the 911 , 928 and 944 (with some family help!)
7nx9Rme.jpg

XAujJCq.jpg