Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

47 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Hmmm, was afraid you were gonna say that. So feels like you can’t (prefer not) drive an AC car on the track any more when there’s these modern space ships now available....? Except @hugh seems to feel otherwise...  My fear is:

I’ve never driven a modern Porsche and even though there’s that underlying desire to get in one or eventually own one, but equally... a part of me fears I should never do it as I may lose my enjoyment of and start feeling the age of my car (get bored with it).   And with the price of AC cars going up, I may end up in no mans land... can’t afford either! Not like some.. 😋

Therefore, does it make more sense for the modern GT cars to stick to the  track  and old AC cars for road? If I had the money, that’s maybe how I could live with both.... (?). 🤓

I’ve come to a similar conclusion regarding modern (power assisted) 911’s.  If I drive one, I’ll probably want one. After I test drove a turbocharged 911 I thought my SC had a problem as it felt so slow.  I’m sticking with my old timer SC with its antique steering feel. 💪

On 12/04/2019 at 20:14, Nick S said:

Just returned today from a week of driving around Tasmania with some great folks and great cars.

Hey Nick, great to see you out and about again. Looks like the great weather we had a few years ago in Tassie and included a Symmons Plains track day !

On 08/04/2019 at 17:28, TwoHeadsTas said:

Not me, but a heap of Vic P cars on tour in Tassie (23 I believe).

The trip before was when we got together with you and other Tassie brethren total 26 cars.

5 hours ago, Philbee said:

Hmmm, was afraid you were gonna say that. So feels like you can’t (prefer not) drive an AC car on the track any more when there’s these modern space ships now available....? Except @hugh seems to feel otherwise...  

"slow car" fast is where the real fun is! (Anyone can drive a fast car fast right?) ;)

7 hours ago, Philbee said:

I’ve never driven a modern Porsche and even though there’s that underlying desire to get in one or eventually own one, but equally... a part of me fears I should never do it as I may lose my enjoyment of and start feeling the age of my car (get bored with it).  

That has been my dilemma since July '18 when I test drove a 996 with firm suspension, and I've questioned my AC ownership ever since (crashed my SC 30 minutes after the test drive too 😁). I was only looking at doing it for financial reasons (sell mine, buy a $40-50k 996 and get a few bucks back in the bank), yet I couldnt pull the trigger.

I agree (in part) with Hugh that to drive an AC car fast is probably a little more rewarding, yet a 996 to me is like driving a perfectly sorted AC car with a lot more go in it, more comfortable etc. I recently drove @PhilH 996 with GT3 suspension and my car back to back, and I am even more confused now! Phil's car is just ridiculous to drive (dare I say it's perfect?), yet the similarities are very evident comparing it with my car. I can only imagine what an earlier GT3 would be like to drive, yet I'm not interested in driving one, as I don't think the missus would be too keen on selling the house to live in an onsite caravan! Saying that, there is nothing that comes close to the experience you get when just driving an AC car. The sound, smells, even the rattles and squeaks are a little...endearing I s'pose, and they look a lot better than a 'modern' 911 in my opinion. I love just looking at my car in the shed. Would I regret selling my SC to buy a 996? Probably (my missus says she doesnt want me to sell it, as she doesnt want me whinging for the rest of my life that I made a mistake), though a 'modern' Porsche does everything so easily and bloody quick.

My advice is to NOT drive a modern Porsche, as you will most definitley question yourself with AC ownership for quite a while like I still do...daily! 

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

Hmmm, was afraid you were gonna say that. So feels like you can’t (prefer not) drive an AC car on the track any more when there’s these modern space ships now available....? Except @hugh seems to feel otherwise...  My fear is:

I’ve never driven a modern Porsche and even though there’s that underlying desire to get in one or eventually own one, but equally... a part of me fears I should never do it as I may lose my enjoyment of and start feeling the age of my car (get bored with it).   And with the price of AC cars going up, I may end up in no mans land... can’t afford either! Not like some.. 😋

Therefore, does it make more sense for the modern GT cars to stick to the  track  and old AC cars for road? If I had the money, that’s maybe how I could live with both.... (?). 🤓

Driving the 964 RS on track, while fun, is hard work. After 6 laps your done...well, at least I am....due to the lack of power steering....and I will admit...aircon. So I rarely drive my 964 RS on the track. It's largely confined to being an occasional fun weekend road car. Thats where I tend to enjoy the driving experience a whole lot more.

Indeed, as both I, and my cars, get older, I am almost solely tracking my 991.2 RS. Even my 996 GT3 RS and my 997 GT3 RS are now just confined to being special weekend cars.

So even though I have 4 generations of RS, the driving experience of each is so different, I still enjoy each one.

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

That has been my dilemma since July '18 when I test drove a 996 with firm suspension, and I've questioned my AC ownership ever since (crashed my SC 30 minutes after the test drive too 😁). I was only looking at doing it for financial reasons (sell mine, buy a $40-50k 996 and get a few bucks back in the bank), yet I couldnt pull the trigger.

I agree (in part) with Hugh that to drive an AC car fast is probably a little more rewarding, yet a 996 to me is like driving a perfectly sorted AC car with a lot more go in it, more comfortable etc. I recently drove @PhilH 996 with GT3 suspension and my car back to back, and I am even more confused now! Phil's car is just ridiculous to drive (dare I say it's perfect?), yet the similarities are very evident comparing it with my car. I can only imagine what an earlier GT3 would be like to drive, yet I'm not interested in driving one, as I don't think the missus would be too keen on selling the house to live in an onsite caravan! Saying that, there is nothing that comes close to the experience you get when just driving an AC car. The sound, smells, even the rattles and squeaks are a little...endearing I s'pose, and they look a lot better than a 'modern' 911 in my opinion. I love just looking at my car in the shed. Would I regret selling my SC to buy a 996? Probably (my missus says she doesnt want me to sell it, as she doesnt want me whinging for the rest of my life that I made a mistake), though a 'modern' Porsche does everything so easily and bloody quick.

My advice is to NOT drive a modern Porsche, as you will most definitley question yourself with AC ownership for quite a while like I still do...daily! 

@LeeM you will succumb to the dark side one day get a 996 you know it makes sense 

46 minutes ago, Philbee said:

@LeeM, @WGA.... that’s for your feedback on this. I think I need to just put that dream away in a cupboard. Lock the door. 😕

As discussed previously mate, in reality any new Porsche is BS quick. Base model Boxster, Cayman, Carrera are all way more capable than most peoples driving abilities. "GT" Porsche's are another level again but I'd say very few people are able to get anywhere near 10/10ths of these cars on or off the track. 

Ultimately comes down to how fast you want to go. New cars are a lot easier to drive fast (and safer) but this can also take away the sensation of speed. 996's are a great happy medium for me, fast but you still need to work a little to get it out of them as there is far less flattering compensation then the newer cars. Speed is relative and can also be deceptive! 

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

@LeeM, @WGA.... that’s for your feedback on this. I think I need to just put that dream away in a cupboard. Lock the door. 😕

Mate, the reality is if you drive primarily on the road the air cooled cars are far more entertaining. The water cooled machines, particularly from 997 on just got too capable and too fast to be fun below safe speeds. It's got to the point that they truly aren't even able to reach 20 percent of their capabilities on the road. And that makes for very very boring driving. 

Once you take it to the track the only issue wirh the air cooled cars is the lack of grunt on the straights. If there is a long straight ahead of you, you can make a cup of coffee and finish it while driving the straights but the corners are very entertaining still.... Just at lower limits. The water pumpers are definitely much more entertaining simply because they get to the next corner sooner. 

So it's horses for courses. Neither is better. But for enjoyment on a daily basis I would say the air cooled cars make me grin much more regularly. 

But as Hugh said... The 996 provides the perfect balance of old school in a new school package... And the GT version all the more so. So that's probably the only one car does all in the water cooled range if smiling is your thing more than outright pace. 

4 hours ago, MARTY said:

@LeeM you will succumb to the dark side one day get a 996 you know it makes sense 

You're not helping Marty 😖 😉

I have no doubt whatsoever that I will end up with a 996 eventually, and I've said that since July '18, though not just yet...Unless a sorted car that ticks all of my boxes for $40k presents itself ofcourse, then I'll have some decisions to make

2 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

Mate, the reality is if you drive primarily on the road the air cooled cars are far more entertaining. The water cooled machines, particularly from 997 on just got too capable and too fast to be fun below safe speeds. It's got to the point that they truly aren't even able to reach 20 percent of their capabilities on the road. And that makes for very very boring driving. 

Once you take it to the track the only issue wirh the air cooled cars is the lack of grunt on the straights. If there is a long straight ahead of you, you can make a cup of coffee and finish it while driving the straights but the corners are very entertaining still.... Just at lower limits. The water pumpers are definitely much more entertaining simply because they get to the next corner sooner. 

So it's horses for courses. Neither is better. But for enjoyment on a daily basis I would say the air cooled cars make me grin much more regularly. 

But as Hugh said... The 996 provides the perfect balance of old school in a new school package... And the GT version all the more so. So that's probably the only one car does all in the water cooled range if smiling is your thing more than outright pace. 

Yep, really agree with all that, and you’ve described my fear with the modern stuff ! I get tonnes of enjoyment driving my AC car on SMTs and the like, the track  is just a different thing. I would hate to be bored on the SMT road driving at just 10%...

2 hours ago, hugh said:

As discussed previously mate, in reality any new Porsche is BS quick. Base model Boxster, Cayman, Carrera are all way more capable than most peoples driving abilities. "GT" Porsche's are another level again but I'd say very few people are able to get anywhere near 10/10ths of these cars on or off the track. 

Ultimately comes down to how fast you want to go. New cars are a lot easier to drive fast (and safer) but this can also take away the sensation of speed. 996's are a great happy medium for me, fast but you still need to work a little to get it out of them as there is far less flattering compensation then the newer cars. Speed is relative and can also be deceptive! 

Yep, maybe I could open the cupboard and dip my toe in a 996 .. one day!!  You’re right, it’s so relative, 2 mins in Doug’s GT4 last year at HH and I was blown away by the slot car rocket accel & braking of that thing I nearly wet myself. Doug was, oh yeah this is just BAU, phil. It was like feeling and seeing the ‘dark side’ for just a moment and a whole lotta money & expense if I was to go there.

I just like the old cars so much. Look so sweet, sound sound magical...and a rattle and hum to boot!

Can someone (is there a P-god?)  just make a rule for the whole world and tell the market to drop the prices back to normal so mortal people like me  can enjoy some great cars again please! 😝

Took a solo run around the Gembrook Black Spur Marysville  Reefton loop.  Went in reverse direction to the usual SMT route.  Roads were a bit busy in places but clear where it counts.  Cambarvillle to  Reefton is looking a bit worse for wear after the recent fires but the road itself is still in good nick. 

47640801792_a704566250_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

Yep, really agree with all that, and you’ve described my fear with the modern stuff ! I get tonnes of enjoyment driving my AC car on SMTs and the like, the track  is just a different thing. I would hate to be bored on the SMT road driving at just 10%...

Yep, maybe I could open the cupboard and dip my toe in a 996 .. one day!!  You’re right, it’s so relative, 2 mins in Doug’s GT4 last year at HH and I was blown away by the slot car rocket accel & braking of that thing I nearly wet myself. Doug was, oh yeah this is just BAU, phil. It was like feeling and seeing the ‘dark side’ for just a moment and a whole lotta money & expense if I was to go there.

I just like the old cars so much. Look so sweet, sound sound magical...and a rattle and hum to boot!

Can someone (is there a P-god?)  just make a rule for the whole world and tell the market to drop the prices back to normal so mortal people like me  can enjoy some great cars again please! 😝

I drive the modern stuff & I experience fear every time I push the go pedal. The NA’s were brilliant but the 991.2 is scary fast. The real car I miss is the 996 manual I sold when I had no coin, oh to wind back the clock, I loved that car.

1 minute ago, GC9911 said:

I drive the modern stuff & I experience fear every time I push the go pedal. The NA’s were brilliant but the 991.2 is scary fast. The real car I miss is the 996 manual I sold when I had no coin, oh to wind back the clock, I loved that car.

You are spot on mate.

I drove a so called "garden variety" 991.2 targa whilst in the UK recently for a week through the Cotswolds.....it was just way too fast for the roads.... So rather than be scared out of my brains... I was bored shitless driving slower in a realisation of self preservation. 

Having said that, it was a bloody nice car nonetheless to get efficiently from point a to b... Just not fun. 

But here's a couple pics from the trip given this thread is about where did we drive... 

F39C6944-01.jpeg

F39C6961-01.jpeg

F39C6938-01.jpeg

28 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

😱... yes! The Rocket ship car and launch control.  It’s a scary area I think I should just  leave it be. I have a house to build, & pay Hugh, Money saved!

Headed up to Jindabyne last Thursday for the Aust Porsche 356 Register annual Gathering weekend. 30+ cars there from all over Aus.

Did a total of 1060 miles (1700+ks) in the yellow B. The first fuel fill was at Jindabyne - 400 miles from the start point in Berwick so achieved 6.68 l/100kms (42.2mpg in the old money).

Great roads up there - seen here through a bug splatted screen.

F0okmDS.jpg

Day 2 touring the area.

uJocS6U.jpg

Count the dots up the hill.

22Acv4H.jpg

Visiting a local homestead.

9tu2xDw.jpg

vEGFRc1.jpg

Dirt roads not a problem.

VGYd7Sr.jpg

Visited the Cooma Car Club rooms.

ewQ6mQ2.jpg

Found a spare parts shop.

gzHHAMq.jpg

Rest break on the home trip via Threbo.

ywxshKJ.jpg

Cow of a trip at times.

QKepYmj.jpg

Had some 356 bikkies to keep is nourished.

A6YpQ1j.jpg

Great trip and great fun.

17 hours ago, Peter John said:

Wow @Airhead a 6 in them! With a 5 speed? Wonder how that would drive?! And the widened rear looks great! You can see it when comparing to the red one in front for sure! Cool as!!!

@Airhead

yeah wow on the grey wider hips! How is that done as it looks like the whole rear quarter panel has been reshaped a bit not just flaring the wheel arches. Noice!

On 30/04/2019 at 22:21, Peter John said:

Wow @Airhead a 6 in them! With a 5 speed? Wonder how that would drive?! And the widened rear looks great! You can see it when comparing to the red one in front for sure! Cool as!!!

5 speed 901 box in the red one and bloody quick. Not sure what's in the grey one.

On 01/05/2019 at 15:26, Philbee said:

@Airhead

yeah wow on the grey wider hips! How is that done as it looks like the whole rear quarter panel has been reshaped a bit not just flaring the wheel arches. Noice!

Guards cut and a wide strip welded in then shaped to profile.