Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

9 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Cruise up the highway then through the backroad twisties home, again only 30 minutes, but I had to clean out the waste gate...a lot.  It was really dirty...honest 😎

So your defence is going to be that your wastegate was needier than mine?? ... :ph34r: 

On 27/05/2019 at 13:49, Andy73 said:

Video highlights from our Alpine run a few weeks back...

Amazing few days and just a great time with good people.

Great video Andy.  Really makes me want to do that run.

But!

Do you think it is wise to provide video evidence of drivers breaking the law?  

In fact, the sloppy driving shown at around 4:00 would probably result in those drivers not being invited back on any of our SMT's or a least taken aside for a quiet chat.

I'm not saying I don't break the law  but I would prefer not to be on video when I do it.  I'm sure I'm not alone on that wish.

So my point is really the lack of discretion shown in the editing.

Your colleagues may have given you carte blanche and that's OK, I'll respect that and will delete this post. 

I'm interested to hear your response and other's feed back to whether my comments are sensible and prudent or just plain prudish!🙄

EDIT:  Actually this topic is partly covered in the SMT Forum as a sticky:

PFA SMT Guidelines and Etiquette:

Following a series of PFA publicly posted threads, as well as many PM conversations, as well as a carpark get-together a few weeks ago, I'd like to put forward an agreement of guidelines and etiquette for future SMTs based on these discussions.

Firstly, it must be stated that there is an implicit expectation that when taking part in any PFA organised drives, that all PFA members abide by all road rules relevant to their state including limits of alcohol, speed, and general safety.

More specifically to our forum however are the following points which have been raised by members as issues of concern:

1. Video.

Probably the biggest single concern from our membership is the proliferation of miniature video cameras (GoPro etc) attached to cars on recent SMT runs. Some of our members are quite happy to have their car included in fellow members video exploits, however the overwhelming majority of communications that we have recieved suggest the opposite, and at best consider the recording to be an unwelcome surveillance, and at worst, an invasion of privacy. The fact that these cameras are more often than not pointing out through the front windscreen, or externally attached, also pointing away from the host car, means that the videographer is predominantly capturing images of other cars whether they like it or not.

As many of you are aware I'm sure, current state and federal laws go out of their way to ensure the privacy of the individual, and although I'm not sure that any of these laws apply directly to this situation, it is the tenor of these restrictions that we would seek to employ as our own guidelines for video capture.

Our request is that no video capture is made at, or distributed online of, our SMT runs.

It should be said that almost everyone involved in this discussion was eager to have video shot of their cars, but in the environment that was felt appropriate, on the track. 

It should also be noted that some members were eager to organise a drive that sat outside of any PFA umbrella event in order to orchestrate such a video opportunity for like-minded enthusiasts. It has been stressed however that these are not organised under the banner of the PFA.

2. Other Marques?

When we first began our SMT drives, our numbers were relatively few. Over this last season of runs we've been buoyed by the numbers of cars, so much so that we've had to resort to sending groups of cars out at 10 minute intervals in order not to end up with a very slow "conga-line" of cars. It was also our rationale in the early days that "the more the merrier" and that everyone was welcome, after all, we're all Pcar nuts, but few of us are exclusive in our taste.

At a recent SMT, one of our leaders found himself leading a group of 8 cars, and his was the only Porsche! As he pointed out, and as been pointed out on many other occasions, different performance cars have different driving potentials, and where a stinky V8, or even a V12 might enjoy stellar straight line grunt, certain other cars are built to travel swiftly between apexs on a twisty section of tarmac! As such a hybrid of marques often means a disjointed and less than fluid journey between points A and B. 

(Also pointed out by many a participating member with excuses for stating the obvious: its a PORSCHE FORUM!)

For this reason, we are restricting SMTs solely to Porsches, and preferably to those who are members of the PFA, and who have dutifully had an opportunity to read and understand these very guidelines! I have always thought that an SMT was a great way to introduce a potential member to the social side of our forum, however we would request that anyone inviting a friend (and their Porsche!) along as an introduction, that they also insist on these guidelines being read.

The obvious exclusion from this would be the SMTs held in those states where numbers on runs are few, and desire to make up the numbers, as we did here in Victoria. I have no interest in promoting that guidelines be upheld where there is no necessity for them. This particular decision is made for the benefit of Victorian PFA member's driving experience and satisfaction, rather than marque snobbery.

3. The "Concertina Effect".

As anyone involved in any of our SMTs would have observed, we seek out stretches of road where we are able to drive our cars enthusiastically, however within the designated speed limits. Not infrequently we happen upon another vehicle in front of the peloton which chooses to transverse at a far lesser Sunday morning speed. There has developed a strategy of pulling over to the side and slowing to a halt, taking in the early morning country air, then after the slower car has advanced a suitable distance, continuing on the drive unhindered by the farmer's ute, truck full of chickens, or English car club contingent.

The driver in the lead might pick a spot to slow to a halt, then the second driver responds, and the third, etc, but by the time this message gets back to the fourth or eighth driver who has just arrived around a bend to find many of his comrades parked in front of him... negative cardiac potentials abound!

It is requested that this "concertina" strategy only be deployed where enough straight road is available for all cars to have ample space to observe and comply.

4. Passing

As diverse as our cars are, so are our driving styles.

At the start of most of our SMTs, an order is usually formed by those that are insistent about being toward the head, and those who are happy to leave the carpark last, content to form the tail. For the body of drivers in the middle however, there can often be a "settling in" period where the level of enthusiasm is more fluid.

As a result, another issue which has been brought to our attention is the issue of passing etiquette whilst in formation. Many of our members, myself included, have felt it to be too much of a provocative action to "flash" the driver ahead who we might feel is driving slower than you, and you desire to pass.

Going forward, we will announce at the first briefing of the morning that the flashing of headlights to be hence-forth considered an action of common etiquette, and as such understood to be a respectful request to pass.

We trust that this will be taken in the nature that it is intended, and that this should promote a more involved and rewarding drive, conducive to the individuals driving style and talents.

These SMT driving guidelines and etiquette are not set in stone, however I am wary of opening this up to public workshopping. Any comments and suggestions are welcome, however we'd prefer them to be sent to me and/or the moderators as a PM for limited discussion.

Kerry

Hey @Peter M fair enough questions

I won't address the SMT point as I think it's moot for the following two reasons.

1. Every SMT I've ever participated in I've seen drivers doing the kind of "sloppy driving" you refer to. 

2. This isn't an SMT. It's a group of mates, organising a weekend away, outside of the PFA and the rules all of us PFA members are (or should be) aware of. I've never taken any in car footage on an SMT because I'm well aware of the Guidelines and Etiquette thread. 

As far as the particulars of this video and use of the shot of 4 minutes, yes I did consider whether i should use this footage (not taken from my car) or not. To be honest, if I cut this video again, I'd probably ditch that particular shot for the exact reason you outlined. I always try to opt for footage where there is no demonstrable breaking of traffic laws. Have I always nailed it? Apparently not but will keep it in mind for any content going forward. As for the participants of ARR2, I've had regular contact with all of them and not had a single complaint with respect to the portrayal of them or their driving within the video.

1 hour ago, ArthurK said:

I thought everyone took that line when driving up to the ski fields. If you aren't using all the road then there is something wrong.......

I must be doing something wrong then. I thought our cars would handle and steer good enough to stay between the lane markers.

@Peter M.... was not  a PFA event. Also, happy for the delete post offer.... Feel free.

With an opening line of “breaking the law” on spotting 1sec of footage... and printing the SMT bible at us  is not what I call helpful and supportive... I feel there are Better ways to communicate your concerns...or to ‘help’ A fellow member.

😒 Philbee

Appreciate your concern @Peter M. It wasn’t a PFA SMT though, so our mutually agreed conditions applied.

Just a note about the “sloppy driving” at around 4:00. I was on this drive and also found myself on the other side of the road at this exact spot- I remember it very well- check out the uneven surface on entry and also the dip just past the apex. You can see the camera car dip. I went through, hit the dip and got light at the front coming out and understeered over the line. I’m glad I and the car could overcome the poor condition of the road. 

Unfortunately unforeseen poor road conditions can compromise you even when driving under the posted limit and to the observable conditions.

Well bugger me, now we have to abide by PFA SMT rules any time and any where we drive a Porsche? 

Lighten up. Anyway, even PFA’s founder and leader has turned up at an SMT run with a pro camera rig on the car and filmed it without consent from everyone else participating. I guess rules are made to be broken...

Quick vote. Who here bought a Porsche to never ever break a road rule in?

🦗🦗🦗

18 minutes ago, TrevMcRev said:

Well bugger me, now we have to abide by PFA SMT rules any time and any where we drive a Porsche? 

Lighten up. Anyway, even PFA’s founder and leader has turned up at an SMT run with a pro camera rig on the car and filmed it without consent from everyone else participating. I guess rules are made to be broken...

Quick vote. Who here bought a Porsche to never ever break a road rule in?

🦗🦗🦗

I only brought mine so I could safely break every road rule in the mountains :ph34r:

52 minutes ago, Peter M said:

What I was trying to say, but unfortunately lost the message when I cut and copied in the SMT blurb is simply true mates don't post video of behaviours that could be used against me in the future.

I’ve been lucky enough to meet some great people through this very forum. And I’m pleased to say some of them have become great mates - dare I say ‘true mates’. Frankly, the nature of that friendship cannot be characterized by somebody peering in, based on what I included in a video.  

I take your original point - as mentioned in my previous post - and you’re entitled to your own opinion. So I promise to never film you driving (or anyone else who doesn’t want to be filmed). 😉

cheers 🤘🏼

5 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

I must be doing something wrong then. I thought our cars would handle and steer good enough to stay between the lane markers.

Why is everyone so serious all of a sudden. Nothing wrong with the driving lines or footage. If someone wants to drive accordingly and is happy to be recorded more power to them. Personally I have no problem. 

If  I missed the sarcasm then ignore me .......

1 hour ago, ArthurK said:

Why is everyone so serious all of a sudden. Nothing wrong with the driving lines or footage. If someone wants to drive accordingly and is happy to be recorded more power to them. Personally I have no problem. 

If  I missed the sarcasm then ignore me .......

I think the problem stems from driving fines being able to be issued retrospectively due to the content in the videos ... 

3 hours ago, Peter M said:

Oh Symsy, was that you in the video?  

I'd be asking Andy to edit that piece of "driving" out if I was you.

Just saying!😉

Me no mate I occasionally scribble outside of the lines  , I don’t own Porsche’s , I only drive borrowed and  stolen cars especially ones that wouldn’t pass roadworthy , most of those cars look like minters .   

12 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I think the problem stems from driving fines being able to be issued retrospectively due to the content in the videos ... 

That video was all done on CGI , well the driving scenes 

14 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Ronny,

Maybe if I had written similar words originally I would have received less of a hysterical response.

Maybe not!

The rest of you,

I am personally aware of two instances where Police have issued fines or court appearance notices due to video posted on social media.  Police traced these people not through their number plates because they were obscured but because they were wearing workshirts that could be traced to an employer.  I worked for that same employer at the time and the Police simply asked our HR department to provide names and contact information.  To add insult to injury, I had to follow up with these individuals with code of conduct breaches as they could be identified as employees!

Surely everyone knows ACA's love of "bogans doing burnouts" stories.  Surely they could see merit in a "Pompous Porsche Drivers Performing Poorly" story?  They've made stories out of less.  Imagine Symsy being chased down the street by a reporter seeking a comment!  Wouldn't that be a laugh.

Far fetched?  Could be.  But do we want to find out?

So take my advice or leave it.  This has probably been laboured long enough.  However my opinion remains:

Mates don't post video of mates doing illegal acts

Mates take mates aside for a quiet word if their driving is shithouse. 

That's what I expect from my mates, but understand everyone has different expectations.

Cheers

Peter

The Queensland police recently nabbed, fined and locked up overnight a couple of brothers doing burnouts via their social media page which is dedicated to their own stupidity. That was an A Current Affair story recently. 

I'm all for videos of our mates in our cars to document our journeys whilst enjoying life in a Porsche, yet sadly, Peter is right when it comes to plod nicking people who really aren't doing any harm to anyone else. As much as most of us would be infuriated at a copper knocking on our doors with a hefty fine and lose a load of demerit points for just having some fun, I know that if a friend of mine' video was the reason I got nicked, I'd be pissed! Not at them, but the audacity of the revenue raising autobots that are hell bent on ensuring we all drive at 50kph everywhere. 

I know of one instance here in SA where a bunch of exotic car owners were cautioned via a visit from plod, where a local speed Nazi resident dobbed them all in with license plate photos. 

You'd all know we car enthusiasts are basically the antichrist to some of the law enforcement brigade (I say some, as they're not all bad), so maybe a little more diligence is required when posting videos online. Maybe scramble/black out the license plates if possible? 

4 hours ago, Simonk said:

@Peter M ....Do you know what they got done for?

Sorry Simon, I don’t know what the actually fine or charges were.  From my recollection of the limited Facebook downloads, both were related to doing smoky burnouts on public roads.  I was only responding to the code of conduct breaches.  

Code of conduct - an insidious creeping bit of nastiness.  Would love to see a court challenge where a code of conduct was struck down and null-and -void the whole thing, or at least limit to conduct during work hours or on work property.

todays justice warriors make the puritans look like a bunch of loosely moralled louts in comparison.  Armed with your code of conduct they'll track you down... Or make the likes of Peter M track you down.  Are you charged with a criminal offence?  No, but you coloured outside the code of conduct lines, so have fun in the unemployment queue.   Doesn't matter really if the breach happened before you were employed or if there is any real evidence, either.  There's no court of law and standards to adhere when it comes down to conduct.  You can't have a lawyer argue something is inadmissible because there's no court and no impartial judge.

Peter M I know what I'm saying probably doesn't apply to your case, but there are endless examples where people have been forced out for harmless actions, or just on the say-so of someone.  Sometimes those things were private at the time but became no longer so.

With regard to social media we are in the place nowadays where police can do far more investigating from their desk than they used to in a month of old fashioned work.  No real point in blacking out the plates because facial recognition will get you if driver at all visible.   Social media is now used in everything from job applications to visa applications to police investigations. As stated up above the law puts pressure on people to unlock phones, provide access, whatever.  What you thought was private can easily no longer be.  It is trivial for all photos of a particular car or person to be dredged from the Internet in a very short amount of time.

be careful out there is my advice.

for what it's worth I thought the video was great

@Coastr Funny you mention the social media thing, as I was filling out a form for a job application tonight, and it said to provide my social media links to Facebook, Instagram etc. Piss off, that's just an invasion of privacy! 

I'm not providing that for some asshat to judge me how I act in my private time away from work. I'd even tell a cop to go jump if they asked for it, as it's my right to wear Budgie smugglers, a hat made of fruit whilst wearing a Superman cape! I spoke to a mate a while ago about us locals having our Instagram names as decals on our cars so we knew who was who, yet after speaking with someone else recently, he said not to do it, as the cops will definitely have a look around for incriminating videos or photos. Seems to be rife with the JDM  crowd (Japanese car enthusiasts) getting pinched for burnouts or videoing their speedo's at warp speed.

If you have Instagram and do post incriminating videos and pics, I'd probably err on the side of caution and make your page private.