Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

6 hours ago, Dreamr said:

You are a hard man to keep up with James ... it's like you have a different car every other week .. :cool07:

I sacrificed a few cars for this one & it was always a long term goal to have a GT3 in the garage that i could drive on the road..

Anyway went for another drive today in the 997 GT3, such a usable weapon it is  

36 minutes ago, Tit said:

That's car's a cracker!

I'm doing my own engine clean up.  Michael rebuilt my top-end 6 years ago...

i-CzknD3w-L.jpg

Thanks. 

You’re a better man than I.  I had to take apart the carby on my 10 yo’s Kart the other day.  Photographed everything and reassembled before I forgot sheet.   Needed a drink and a rest after that!

5 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Thanks. 

You’re a better man than I.  I had to take apart the carby on my 10 yo’s Kart the other day.  Photographed everything and reassembled before I forgot sheet.   Needed a drink and a rest after that!

Not doing it alone! I have expert help...

Participated in the PC Willoughby 50th drive last week. 3 days, 850 km round trip of blue mountains, Oberon, Canberra and Bowral. Mixed bunch of cars R, GT3’s, GT2RS, and lots of 991 & 992’s with the SC being the oldest by about 30 years. Car was an original SVM (now PCW) delivered, performed faultlessly. Some great driving roads with opportunities to run hard through twisties with very little mid week traffic. 

3-D7-CA6-B7-92-B5-46-C2-A547-557-A918-D2

CA4033-E9-7-E15-4-E53-830-D-01809-C681-F

66-A4-F376-7-F08-4907-A99-B-273-FA636301

Did a nice 400 klm drive today as suggested by @StevepGT3

Started in Mount Eliza then thanks to Steve on to Kinglake, Whitlesea, Wandong, Kilmore, Lancefield, Woodend, Tylden, Daylesford and then back home.  Nice morning tea in Lancefield at the bakery and a great lunch in Daylesford at Larder   We also had a quick stop at Daylesford Cidery and sampled their wares on the way home

On 01/10/2019 at 21:27, Lucky Phil said:

Did a nice 400 klm drive today as suggested by @StevepGT3

Started in Mount Eliza then thanks to Steve on to Kinglake, Whitlesea, Wandong, Kilmore, Lancefield, Woodend, Tylden, Daylesford and then back home.  Nice morning tea in Lancefield at the bakery and a great lunch in Daylesford at Larder   We also had a quick stop at Daylesford Cidery and sampled their wares on the way home

photos or it never happened!

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Is this the same car @Niko took a photo of 20 years ago? 

I don’t think it is as the car doesn’t have a rear wiper which mine does.  Also, this one looks like its a proper yellow rather than the Kodak which has a distinctly orange element.  Also, this one looks like its had two exhausts at some stage whereas mine has the original apron under the bumper.  Nice shot though.

Also the reflectors in the rear bumper rubber, the phone aerial above the rear window, the wheels with centre caps that aren’t lined up quite right, the seal under the whale tail has a gap on the kodak car (above the turbo badge) and what’s that silver badge next to the rear number plate ?

15 hours ago, OZ930 said:

what’s that silver badge next to the rear number plate ?

Tried to zoom in on it, but all I can make out is what looks like the normal Porsche badge but I'd say it is a Porsche Club badge.  

Don't know what the PCV badge looked like back in the 80's or 90's.

I've been driving my 968 a little bit to and from work and the occasional PFA run.  On Friday coming home from work it developed a rattle.  I put it down to a lose metal fixing of some sort under the car.  So on Saturday, I decided to take it for a run to a mate's place on the northern beaches from my very northwest semi rural area of Sydney but to also go via Bruce Buchanan's Porsche workshop to see if he could diagnose it. 

And that he did.  Quite quickly and the direction was to stop engine, cease driving any further.

Apparently, Porsche designed the tip-tronic 968 to have a perishable part in the engine to transmission connection.  It is a transmission dampner, something like a pressure plate/flywheel thingie that has a lot of rubber in it that connects the engine to the drive line.  This is designed to absorb shock/vibration and so on.  Perfectly good idea for the refined gentleman this car was targeted at in 1992.  Not such a good idea as it's a major PITA to replace once it perishes after a couple of decades.

After I had walked the 3km to the local shopping mall to await my lift home, and some time to absorb the potential repair bill of 3-4k (along with some conversation with @DREAMR), my wife and I returned to the workshop to collect some belongings from the car.

As it turns out both Sean and Bruce had spent some time thinking of the repair and came across some interesting solutions to the problem from those who had faced the same issue in the USA. Made of 3/10 rubber, 2/10 aluminium and 7/10 unobtainium means at 12/10 this is a significant repair of a day and a half of labour and a $2.5k part in Australia but even in USA it'd be expensive so they've come up with an alternative that Sean and Bruce would like to try on my 968.  It uses a number of actual 944 manual transmission parts.

Refer to the wanted section of the forum for the parts

After yesterdays post https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/15634-water-out-air-in-996-964/?tab=comments#comment-297825 what did you think was going to happen?

Last this after noon put a few ks on it.

SWLTDF had first go a got a traffic jam.

image.thumb.jpeg.16cc78d6bdc1c5bbff6f616b82cfd724.jpeg

Then my turn.

ZxO6ohe.jpg

Damn this car is good.

Proof it went out.

SHmBWip.jpg

Any of you guys own a Lambo or Ferrari? Spotted a number plate for you.

dX1tm87.jpg

Lake Barrington Hillclimb on Saturday.  2.5kms with about 17 corners I think.  Not very fast as I'm still learning my GT3, but a fellow PCT member in a much more serious 996.2 GT3 did much better (about 13 secs quicker than me!!).  Few fluffed gear changes 2nd to 5th rather than 2nd to 3rd, need to get used to changing with the right hand....Ben Newman in fully road rally spec WRX was FTD by 3 secs...

20191005_130408_resized_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Lake Barrington Hillclimb on Saturday.  2.5kms with about 17 corners I think.  Not very fast as I'm still learning my GT3, but a fellow PCT member in a much more serious 996.2 GT3 did much better (about 13 secs quicker than me!!).  Few fluffed gear changes 2nd to 5th rather than 2nd to 3rd, need to get used to changing with the right hand....Ben Newman in fully road rally spec WRX was FTD by 3 secs...

20191005_130408_resized_1.jpg

Your Mk1 looked better 😉

9 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Looks great in its natural habitat. I plan to do the Vic Hill Climb series in mine next year.