Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

8 minutes ago, mhh said:

I confess to being a bit of a west coast junkie but I really should revisit the north east. 

If you've got a day to spare, Launceston - Campbell Town via Panshanger & Mount Joy Roads, thru Lake Leake Hwy to East Coast, stop at Devils Corner Vineyard, then up the coast via Elephant Pass and then down St Marys Pass, St Helens, Pyengana, Weldborough Pass, Scottsdale, The Sidling and back to Launceston is one of the best ways you'll ever spend 5 or 6 hours 🙂 (as long as you don' get stuck in a caravan convoy 😞).  Have planned most of that route for one of @Dalai's days over here next month 🙂 

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

If you've got a day to spare, Launceston - Campbell Town via Panshanger & Mount Joy Roads, thru Lake Leake Hwy to East Coast, stop at Devils Corner Vineyard, then up the coast via Elephant Pass and then down St Marys Pass, St Helens, Pyengana, Weldborough Pass, Scottsdale, The Sidling and back to Launceston is one of the best ways you'll ever spend 5 or 6 hours 🙂 (as long as you don' get stuck in a caravan convoy 😞).  Have planned most of that route for one of @Dalai's days over here next month 🙂 

Looking forward to it too. One week just checking out some of the best roads Tasmania has to offer!

On 08/10/2019 at 18:43, WGA said:

And did some laps too!

IMG_5151.JPG

After only a few laps on the Nordschleife, the weather turned nasty with a forecast of rain for the next couple of days so I decided to head south to the Swiss Alps and spent the next couple of days bombing the holy trinity of mountain passes - Furka, Grimsel and Susten - in perfect weather.

Vmax for the trip was 282 kph.  Hmmm..Now why am I returning to Australia again?

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_8852.jpg

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8854.jpg

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8867.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg..

IMG_8891.jpg

21 hours ago, reddahaydn said:

Wasn’t driving today, but I did find this awesome pic online from a few weeks back at Sandown  

BD8A6668-1306-4D13-B5C0-1BABC988FDAD.jpeg

Great shot mate 👍👍

6 hours ago, WGA said:

Hmmm..Now why am I returning to Australia again?

IMG_8854.jpg

No idea why you'd want to mate! 

Is that restaurant still operating? 

8 hours ago, WGA said:

so I decided to head south to the Swiss Alps and spent the next couple of days bombing the holy trinity of mountain passes - Furka, Grimsel and Susten - in perfect weather.

Hey @WGA I'm planning on being in that part of the world in September next year.... doing a Porsche drive program (hire Pcars from Porsche Stuttgart and drive down through those mountain passes with a couple of mates (& our brides)...... what's the deal with traffic volumes, police presence, etc at that time of the year?  Will we get to open them up through those passes? Or is it full of bloody tourists (ie, us), or police?

4 hours ago, Rick V said:

Hey @WGA I'm planning on being in that part of the world in September next year.... doing a Porsche drive program (hire Pcars from Porsche Stuttgart and drive down through those mountain passes with a couple of mates (& our brides)...... what's the deal with traffic volumes, police presence, etc at that time of the year?  Will we get to open them up through those passes? Or is it full of bloody tourists (ie, us), or police?

I did the same trip with my family in September 2017. We did the Furka, Susten, Grimsel, Oberalp, Gotthard and Nufenen Passes all from Andermatt. We also did a bunch of others including Julier, Maloja, Timmelsjoch and San Bernardino. We had a ball. We had a three car convoy - two GT3s and an M2. Cars I have since sold.

A couple of tips.

- bring good walkie talkies for each car. It helps enormously with keeping it touch on the move because you will get separated and it makes the trip less stressful and the banter can be fun.

- when driving in Switzerland, be very, very careful and stick to the speed limits on the highways and country roads. If you get caught you can be fined a very large sum of money (potentially  a % of your income) and get the car impounded. Also, Austria is pretty tough. I got pinged coming out of a tunnel on the Silvretta and had to pay 200+ euro on the spot. However Italy is much easier going.

- when driving the Swiss passes, you can be a bit more liberal as long as you have one car out front as the scout on the walkie talkie because I have never ever not seen police on the Furka and the Grimsel passes looking out for speeding cars. Having said that, you will find that the speed limit on the mountain passes is often fast enough because it can be difficult to drive at that speed anyway depending on conditions and traffic

- September is popular so expect traffic on the Furka and the Gotthard, but apart from those roads, we found the other passes quite ok.

- if you want guaranteed empty roads with less likelihood of police being around then make sure you get out early in the morning or wait until much later in the day

- weather is a lottery. I have now done this trip 3 times - May, September and October - and the best road conditions and weather was October...but I must admit I was very lucky this time as some of the passes typically start to close early October such as the Timmelsjoch.

- you don't need super duper cars to have fun. On my last trip I met 3 guys from Italy all in Abarth 595s and they were having a ball. As long as the car is sporting and makes a bit of noise :)

Some photos from the Sept 2017 trip.

IMG_2891 (1).jpg

85839C10-3C5F-45B4-85CA-6F9C07FDB82E (1).jpg

IMG_1929 (1).jpg

IMG_1899 (1).jpg