Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

Did a reconoiter on a route for next Sunday's club run, good job I did as I found a section of unsealed road that wasn't obvious on Google maps, so a little bit of a re-route in order.  Took along a guy I'd bought a few Porsche kits and models from, so he could experience a GT car in the flesh so as to speak - doing my job and sharing the Porsche love (and he's got a SERIOUS collection of 1/18 and 1/43 Porsche models, must have a very understanding wife....). 

After dropping him off, caught up with a mate who is preparing a 991 GT2RS for Targa Tas, nearly there, just going through rego hassles for a WOVR car, as has been mentioned on this forum elsewhere.  But faark me, prices on some of those bits has got numerous layers of P tax applied me thinks.  But, tell you what, there's some serious weight being saved on the GT2RS  - picked up the 2 parts of a broken front guard, and I'd be surprised if they weighed more than a kg or so, absolutely amazing!!!!  410mm PCCB with a chunk out being used as a door stop (I kid you not).   Again, seriously light compared to a metal one......

Found a stretch of private road yesterday and gave my older boy his first lesson in a car.

He got to experience the joys of over centre clutch bite on floor mounted pedals, dodgy second gear synchro ... the 912/6 now has a new fan!  Apparently never to be sold ...

It ended with him having a smile big enough to split his face.  And like any good kid, he was most worried about stalling it - he didn’t want to risk the never ending taunts.  I told him there’s no shame in that.  Recounted the story of when I bought my ‘85 Carrera in 1997 and stalled it 4 times trying to get out of the car yard.  Now I’m copping shit from him.

A good day.

Took a 718 S PDK Boxster for a test drive this morning.  Rare that one our local dealerships had one for sale, and the novated lease on our 981 comes up shortly, so deliberating whether to just payout and keep (2013 PDK, standard, will have 60,000kms on it ) so it was a good opportunity to see whether an upgrade now would be a good idea.

Got to say it was a quite a disappointment.  Noise aside, the thing is undoubtedly quick when you get properly into it, but the driveability for normal driving isn't a patch on the 981.  It seemed to want to get into as high a gear as possible, as soon as possible, so there is very poor immediate throttle response at 60 -70 kmh (it would be at 1500rpm in 6th at that speed).  I think you would probably need to drive it is Sport mode as a default to get an acceptably responsive drive.  Chassis dynamics and handling seemed very similar (neither car has PASM).

So, I think we'll be longer term 981 owners as this really is a ripper car, even in standard format.  It is an everyday car for my wife, with a bit of spirited country driving when required.  It won't be a track car (we have the GT3 for that), so I reckon we'll stick with it for quite a few years, perhaps until we sell both cars to get into a late model 991 or 992 Targa ???.......

49 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Took a 718 S PDK Boxster for a test drive this morning.  Rare that one our local dealerships had one for sale, and the novated lease on our 981 comes up shortly, so deliberating whether to just payout and keep (2013 PDK, standard, will have 60,000kms on it ) so it was a good opportunity to see whether an upgrade now would be a good idea.

Got to say it was a quite a disappointment.  Noise aside, the thing is undoubtedly quick when you get properly into it, but the driveability for normal driving isn't a patch on the 981.  It seemed to want to get into as high a gear as possible, as soon as possible, so there is very poor immediate throttle response at 60 -70 kmh (it would be at 1500rpm in 6th at that speed).  I think you would probably need to drive it is Sport mode as a default to get an acceptably responsive drive.  Chassis dynamics and handling seemed very similar (neither car has PASM).

So, I think we'll be longer term 981 owners as this really is a ripper car, even in standard format.  It is an everyday car for my wife, with a bit of spirited country driving when required.  It won't be a track car (we have the GT3 for that), so I reckon we'll stick with it for quite a few years, perhaps until we sell both cars to get into a late model 991 or 992 Targa ???.......

I'm not sure why you would drive a 718 around in normal mode if you want to get an appreciation of the performance dynamics? Most people are aware that modern turbo cars are designed and geared for maximum economy so as to meet new emissions targets that weren't around in 981 days. So ticking over like a tractor at 1500 RPM or even 1200 RPM is typical in normal mode and I would agree the cars are not that responsive. However, switch the car into Sport or even better Sport + and you can say good bye to your 981 or even your GT4 and older GT3. 

However, for normal driving I think the 981 is more than adequate for its era and I wouldn't be surprised if it is a little more responsive at lower RPM in normal mode given the atmo engine. It doesn't have the more modern tech of the 718 but certainly the excitement is there and it the right hands it is still a very fast car. 

For newer car buyers wanting more modern interior tech I think the 718 is an attractive package and it is a very quiet crusing car because of the low RPM, but if you already have a 981 I can see that you might not want to upgrade. 

I would think a 992 would be good choice and quite a performance leap. 

1 minute ago, donR said:

I'm not sure why you would drive a 718 around in normal mode if you want to get an appreciation of the performance dynamics? Most people are aware that modern turbo cars are designed and geared for maximum economy so as to meet new emissions targets that weren't around in 981 days. So ticking over like a tractor at 1500 RPM or even 1200 RPM is typical in normal mode and I would agree the cars are not that responsive. However, switch the car into Sport or even better Sport + and you can say good bye to your 981 or even your GT4 and older GT3. 

However, for normal driving I think the 981 is more than adequate for its era and I wouldn't be surprised if it is a little more responsive at lower RPM in normal mode given the atmo engine. It doesn't have the more modern tech of the 718 but certainly the excitement is there and it the right hands it is still a very fast car. 

For newer car buyers wanting more modern interior tech I think the 718 is an attractive package and it is a very quiet crusing car because of the low RPM, but if you already have a 981 I can see that you might not want to upgrade. 

I would think a 992 would be good choice and quite a performance leap. 

Our 981 is my wife's every day drive, so she is not interested in driving it in Sports or Sports+ all the time.  Therefore, it is superb in it's current role.  Interesting re interior layout, I couldn't see much difference actually.

Will see what transpires in the future, and how long it takes me to get sick of changing gears in the GT3 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

Hard day of commuting. All the wobbles fixed. She's now driving as tight as a drum. Picking up the kids, school bags and instruments, it's a squeeze, they're casually unimpressed. I want to play that game on your phone dad. It's just a car dad! Can you buy me this game dad? Lucky we love them just that little bit more than the metal.

20210427_175503.jpg

Always on the look out for driving routes , 3 of us explored just about every Back road in Gippsland. Mark had done a fair bit of leg work during the week and today was testing time .Left 5:15 am and the roads out there areFANTASTIC. No traffic, awesome twisties , and glorious landscape. Plenty scope to plan some future runs. Mark and John were hardcore in their Turbos , thank you for a very fast morning. We had brekkie and lunch stop in Warragul. Spend a bit of tome this arvo to clean my croc , including removing cow shit out of my air in take.😅 Still better than removing a cow ! Very sketchy on photos , had my hands full to stay on the road.

92ED2670-30DB-43F2-A555-EF290D46DD25.jpeg

856B9D04-795F-483E-940D-48B6F9C2E976.jpeg

75C9E2B6-2277-4878-959F-26213AA7D76B.jpeg