996 Suspension

AndrewM

18 hours ago, JWM said:

Engine and transmission mounts (which I did prior to suspension changes) made a surprisingly big difference to how the car drove and handled for me, that’s a good point @Merv.

+1 on this...Fitted the Torque Solutions engine mounts and made a big difference...

Sorry I have joined this conversation late, but are the Powerflex bushes a sensible option (purple)??

I am guessing that even if you go with coilovers that all the bushes will still need replacing??

I have noticed that the front end on my C2 3.4 gets a little bit 'floaty' above 180kmh and fairly 'loose' above 200kmh

thanks

On 23/11/2020 at 19:46, Cookster said:

Sorry I have joined this conversation late, but are the Powerflex bushes a sensible option (purple)??

I am guessing that even if you go with coilovers that all the bushes will still need replacing??

I have noticed that the front end on my C2 3.4 gets a little bit 'floaty' above 180kmh and fairly 'loose' above 200kmh

thanks

I have the Black Powerflex bushes and have not had an issue with them at all...

• 4 months later...

Hey @Tips, car is currently at PR tech.  I’m on the north side and decided just too difficult to get out to east coast. Keeping it simple as want to use as a daily driver for the next couple of years.

31 minutes ago, ML13 said:

Hey @Tips, car is currently at PR tech.  I’m on the north side and decided just too difficult to get out to east coast. Keeping it simple as want to use as a daily driver for the next couple of years.

I am also nth side but headed over to see Dave yesterday as he did such a great set up on my SC hard for me to go else where. Just waiting on the quote but tentative booking for the 12th. His comment was leave it stock height as a daily just refresh bushes and shocks. Being a cab he did say if I wanted to put coupe springs in it drops it about 1- 1.5cm as the cab is heavier.. Might see if there are any around😉 if I have time. I did buy some engine mounts which I’ll do over Easter myself as that will also make a big difference, they look very worn.

be keen on comparing pricing with PR and east coast if you care to share.....

Tips,

no prob I have the quote in my email somewhere. Basically getting what you suggested, refresh of all bushes, arms as required, mounts etc, thought about lowering with Eibach springs but have decided against it but am changing to Bilstein b6 shocks.

pm me your email and I’ll send the quote

I did the same thing @ML13 but I did go with the Eibachs, and wonder if it was the right choice sometimes.

Is there anything between these and the standard springs? I was wondering about 996 GT3 springs?

Pity the factory X74 suspension option that Porsche had available during the 996's model years is no longer readily available.

The X74 package is/was an awesome setup for a 996 - Larger sway bars, lowered ride height (40mm).

It provides for a lower and way stiffer (but in no way harsh) ride as compared to the M030 option.

My all time favourite mod for my 996 - Pretty much set and forget...😀

Probably not all that common here in Aus as I had to purchase this from Bert over at Carnewal way back in 2003..!

qk5HCi.jpg

On 28/03/2021 at 21:51, Tips said:

@ML13 and @AndrewM where did you both land on suspension refreshes? My top mounts are shot so may have to bite the bullet on my 6.1. Did either of you get a quote from Dave at east coast?

Im still bouncing around on the old suspension. I haven't had any time to do any more investigation, but will keep the thread informed when I do.
Good luck with the upgrades over Easter!

On 01/04/2021 at 21:59, AndrewM said:

Im still bouncing around on the old suspension. I haven't had any time to do any more investigation, but will keep the thread informed when I do.
Good luck with the upgrades over Easter!

I started the journey today by replacing my engine mounts with turbo mounts from AH. So far the best $550 and 90 minutes invested in the car.. Completely transformed the gear shift and vibration at start off, particularly reversing. 
‘I’m sure once the rest is done it will be magic

On 01/04/2021 at 14:36, ML13 said:

Tips,

no prob I have the quote in my email somewhere. Basically getting what you suggested, refresh of all bushes, arms as required, mounts etc, thought about lowering with Eibach springs but have decided against it but am changing to Bilstein b6 shocks.

pm me your email and I’ll send the quote

Done, thanks. I’m still waiting for mine

On 03/04/2021 at 14:18, 01CFOR said:

Hi all ,

does anyone know if the X74 is compatible with a narrow body 2001 C4 coupe 

thanks in advance 

Shane

I know that for the widebody C4S Porsche had the X73 kit available for it at the time and this was due to the extra weight that the C4S carries with it.

So I would suspect that the only differentiator as far as compatibility is concerned is kerb weight of the vehicle types.

• 3 months later...
On 08/11/2020 at 18:48, JWM said:

I recently gave mine a refresh with Bilstein B6 shocks and an Eibach pro-kit for springs... At the same time the strut mounts and bump stops front and rear were replaced, as well as the front lateral arms and bearing plates for the shocks.

I don't track the car and it's just a weekender, so I took the workshops advice on that setup rather than pursuing coil over options which I had in mind. It would have been nice to compare options but anyway I'm really very happy with the outcome. It is stiffer than it was, so perhaps could do without the springs, but I jumped out of a BMW M2 and into this for the first time in weeks and the first thing I noticed is it was smoother than I remembered - I think simply because the M2 is fairly stiff - so it's not too bad, just modern sports car bad 😁

Probably won't be the setup you're after but as you're in Sydney, you're welcome to come for a drive some time as a reference point if it helps the decision making process.

After a lot of forum reading and back and forth, have decided to refresh the standard suspension setup but replace the shocks with Bilstein B6. I am in a similar position where I would only do a track day a couple of times a year, and the majority of the time would be weekend drives, but still needing to be able to deal with the speed humps and driveways here in Sydney.

A lot of the other suspension options look awesome, however I have great concern in how the car would handle after these geometry changes. Had this with my S1 Elise back in Europe, and don't want to go through the challenge of multiple suspension shops trying to find one that tunes the ride so I am happy. (Of course, I don't make this any easier by not being great at describing my like/ dislikes such that they can fix it).

Will keep informed once it is fitted and I am allowed to drive out of Sydney again.