My 924 Turbo

SteveF

With the help of @Dreamr and @dreamr jnr, last weekend we replaced all spark plugs, injectors, distributor & rotor, fuel & oil filters, replaced the oil and fixed the air in the cooling system issue. Today it went in for the timing belt, water pump and tie rods before being put on historic rego!! Mechanically it is in great shape and drove beautifully the long way home via the Old Pac Highway.

Where else are you going to see two 924 turbos (series 1 & 2), a series 1 944 a 996 & a 911 Junior together?? Cars & Coffee @ Kariong! (Ronny's place)

20201218_164030[1].jpg

8 hours ago, Niko said:

great stuff Steve..and Dreamr

I caught up with these 2 jokers yesterday @Dreamr @SteveF to have a look at Steve's car and I am liking the color. 

Lot's of passion for these cars from these 2 gents and it's good to see people keeping these older cars alive. Lots of talk around restoration and the like. And Steve, when I followed you out to the HWY after we left the mech, your car car looked great from behind and no smoke which is surely a good sign, no body roll either:D

• 4 months later...

Just got the car back from getting some work completed. I had the suspension refreshed with new bushes and Koni shocks all round, some gaskets and seals to get rid of oil leaks, new coolant tank and a few hoses. Along with a new window washer tank, which I installed a few months ago, under the bonnet is looking pretty good. Just have to install the new under bonnet insulation when it arrives and we are sorted. As you could imagine with new suspension bits and pieces the driving was noticeably improved so can't wait to get it out on some twisties.

Only other item for the moment is to get the muffler replaced. Then I had better stop, for a little while anyway, before I get divorced :) 

20210421_154647[1].jpg

39 minutes ago, SteveF said:

Just got the car back from getting some work completed. I had the suspension refreshed with new bushes and Koni shocks all round, some gaskets and seals to get rid of oil leaks, new coolant tank and a few hoses. Along with a new window washer tank which I installed a few months ago under the bonnet is looking pretty good. Just have to install the new under bonnet insulation when it arrives and we are sorted. As you could imagine with new suspension bits and pieces the driving was noticeably improved so can't wait to get it out on some twisties.

Only other item for the moment is to get the muffler replaced. Then I had better stop, for a little while anyway, before I get divorced :) 

Looking good mate.....well done......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In my efforts to tidy up the engine bay I removed all of the old under bonnet insulation, which I never ever want to do again, and installed some new pads. Yes @Dreamr I should have taken the bonnet off! I tried lots of different things to get the old adhesive off but the best advice came from a spray painter who said to use a caramel wheel and that seemed to work a treat. If you haven't done it before remember to cover your engine bay with a drop sheet or similar as there is mess everywhere.

Next project is to install the radio I recently purchased.

20210620_123510[1].jpg

• 5 months later...

1943475591_20211203_1333581.thumb.jpg.d7f1e815aae74e8df7eab2cf833eaaa6.jpg

Got the car back from my mechanic and all oil leaks fixed! Had to search far and wide for a number of parts but finally managed to source them. This is all part of the fun of owning a 40 year old car. 

@Dreamr kindly worked his magic and helped install a Continental Blue Tooth radio & speakers, which at night matches the interior lighting of the car. It looks yellow in the picture below but is more orange. 

Now that all of the mechanicals are sorted, the next step is looking at getting it back to the original 2 tone colour scheme. I have all of the body items to replace (seals, rubbers, decals etc.) so just getting quotes.

20211203_133358[1].jpg

2 hours ago, SteveF said:

Got the car back from my mechanic and all oil leaks fixed! Had to search far and wide for a number of parts but finally managed to source them. This is all part of the fun of owning a 40 year old car. 

@Dreamr kindly worked his magic and helped install a Continental Blue Tooth radio & speakers, which at night matches the interior lighting of the car. It looks yellow in the picture below but is more orange. 

Now that all of the mechanicals are sorted, the next step is looking at getting it back to the original 2 tone colour scheme. I have all of the body items to replace (seals, rubbers, decals etc.) so just getting quotes.

20211203_133358[1].jpg

Thats awesome, it was a good car when i had it & you are making it so much better... it will look so good back in 2 tone paint, well done 

• 5 months later...

Well further to my note above ,that unfortunately wasn't the end of mechanical bits to fix! As mentioned in a previous post the head gasket decided to go and the car has been in pieces for several months now but starting to get back together. @michel put me onto a 924 guru close by and he has been working his magic on the car. The head has been completely refurbished with new seals, valves etc. and back on the engine. All of the nuts and bolts are getting the nickel plating treatment. All old pipes are being replaced. Porsche are now doing the water pumps again so one of those is going in. Essentially anything old is being updated or replaced as was original from the factory. The block is being painted back to the original black. It will look like a new engine when done. 

Here are some before and after pictures of the brake booster. As more of the engine gets put together I will post pictures. 

20220517_090904.jpg

20220516_102114.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing what tends to fail on cars at the 40 yo mark.  My most recent replacement was my air conditioning cooling fan motor.  Fan just started to intermittently not work ... then stopped.  Before that was my radiator cooling fan motor ... before that the transistor amplifier (on front wheel well).  Certainly makes you appreciate how many parts are in cars!

• 1 month later...

We are almost there! The manifold hopefully goes on tomorrow and fingers crossed it will be ready for pick up next week sometime. We had some challenges getting a few of the parts and had to get two of the pipes fabricated in the end despite a global search. The engine bay is looking much better. More pictures to come. 

20220708_170319.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally complete. Got the car back from the engine rebuild and very happy with the results. Gave it a good clean and took it for a spin with @Dreamr

My new friend (Bill the mechanic) did an amazing job and I can highly recommend him. Thank you @michel for the recommendation.

20220730_123107.jpg

20220730_155406.jpg

5 hours ago, SteveF said:

Finally complete. Got the car back from the engine rebuild and very happy with the results. Gave it a good clean and took it for a spin with @Dreamr

My new friend (Bill the mechanic) did an amazing job and I can highly recommend him. Thank you @michel for the recommendation.

20220730_123107.jpg

20220730_155406.jpg

2 of my old cars are looking good... well done to both of you