Dashboard air vent removal

Box987

A couple of air vents on my Boxster could do with a replacement. I purchased a replacement however I'm having difficulties trying to pry the existing ones out safely, without damaging the dashboard trim. Does anyone have any good suggestions for removal or a link to a video showing how it's done? Greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20201113-234057~2.png

Screenshot_20201113-234030~2.png

Speaking generally:

A squirt of silicon or wd40 around the perimeter, slip in a narrow thin bladed putty knife  and work around the perimeter to disengage the mounting clips as you pull on the vent and it should come out with a little bit of a struggle. 

The big risk of breaking the mounting clips isn't an issue as you're replacing the whole  thing and don't need to reuse. 

The actual dashboard  that they mount into are pretty robust so you are unlikely to damage.

Hopefully there is enough access to unplug the electrical connection but you may have to remove the bottom part of the dashboard or the glovebox or airbag to get access.   If you can get access to the back of the vent, this often makes it easier to shove it out of the dash too.

When all this fails, I have been known to break and cut the old vent out!  ie cut the vanes out and then deform and cut the outer casing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2020 at 08:06, Peter M said:

Speaking generally:

A squirt of silicon or wd40 around the perimeter, slip in a narrow thin bladed putty knife  and work around the perimeter to disengage the mounting clips as you pull on the vent and it should come out with a little bit of a struggle. 

The big risk of breaking the mounting clips isn't an issue as you're replacing the whole  thing and don't need to reuse. 

The actual dashboard  that they mount into are pretty robust so you are unlikely to damage.

Hopefully there is enough access to unplug the electrical connection but you may have to remove the bottom part of the dashboard or the glovebox or airbag to get access.   If you can get access to the back of the vent, this often makes it easier to shove it out of the dash too.

When all this fails, I have been known to break and cut the old vent out!  ie cut the vanes out and then deform and cut the outer casing. 

Thank you for your help. I gave it a go on the weekend and trieded opening using trim removal tools. This guide I found online makes it look easy but really isn't! https://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/boxster_(987)/f6-2.7l/heating_and_air_conditioning/air_register/component_information/service_and_repair/removing_and_installing_air_vent_at_door/page_4180/

There appears to be two sets of pins to push at the bottom and get them all pushed at the same time seems incredibly difficult. I wonder how the Porsche mechanics open these. Do they have a special tool.

I would very much welcome a YouTube instructional video on someone removing one of these!

I just swapped one out last weekend. I ended up wrecking the one coming out! Its not too hard to get the clips lifted with a small screwdriver although at the end I thought one was still engaged it turns out it was the wiring lead holding it back. My tip would be to take out the radio and reach in from underneath to unlplug the lead and get at the two bottom clips. The replacement just slid straight back in and sits nice and snug.