911 SC Air-con

TheBaywatchKid

I've been reading all the previous posts around people retro-fitting aircon to their 80's 911, with varying results. Given the heat is starting to arrive, I think to keep my girlfriend happy Im going to have to do something in the AC dept. My SC wasn't optioned with aircon, and even the heater is dust. Wondering, in 2020,  what I should be budgeting for retro-fitting air-con, and what my options are? TIA! 

There’s three basic ways of going:

1. Cobble together factory parts from people who have taken it off. Fill in with new parts where needed.  Pro: can be cheaper, lots of removed AC components around.  Con: will take time and fiddling to match up pieces.  Will only give factory results, ie mediocre. Guesstimate :$2k

2.  Buy a complete retrofit system from one of the vendors.  Pro: will work after install and will blow colder.  Con : costs more.  Guesstimate $4k

3. Buy the classic Retrofit electric system.  Pro : will work, will blow cold, no compressor in the engine bay.  Con: cost, prob have to upgrade alternator as well

guesstimate : $5k

People have done each of the above options and might comment on the final result.   I’m going to be doing option 2 over the summer fitting a Griffiths system to a factory AC car that had some parts removed.  The kit alone was $2700 US and that wasn’t everything as I am reusing some parts and shying away from their $300 vents. All the prices assume you doing the work as well.

The good news is that you will increase the value of your car by a good chunk, maybe not the whole cost.  And you can drive it all year round.

12 hours ago, Coastr said:

1. Cobble together factory parts from people who have taken it off. Fill in with new parts where needed.  Pro: can be cheaper, lots of removed AC components around.  Con: will take time and fiddling to match up pieces.  Will only give factory results, ie mediocre. Guesstimate :$2k

2.  Buy a complete retrofit system from one of the vendors.  Pro: will work after install and will blow colder.  Con : costs more.  Guesstimate $4k

3. Buy the classic Retrofit electric system.  Pro : will work, will blow cold, no compressor in the engine bay.  Con: cost, prob have to upgrade alternator as well

People have done each of the above options and might comment on the final result.   I’m going to be doing option 2 over the summer fitting a Griffiths system to a factory AC car that had some parts removed.  The kit alone was $2700 US and that wasn’t everything as I am reusing some parts and shying away from their $300 vents. All the prices assume you doing the work as well.

The good news is that you will increase the value of your car by a good chunk, maybe not the whole cost.  And you can drive it all year round.

Thank you so much for the reply and the estimates! I need to get my Targa roof redone too so nice to put the AC job in perspective. Its my only car at the minute so that adds to the urgency to have AC! Thanks again! I’ll probably end up going option two as well, just looking into kits. 

I put the Griffiths components in my car back in 2017. Sadly it has not seen a great deal of use since then, but I highly recommend it. It is a lot of work to install, but I did all of it myself or with occasional help from a friend (when routing the new hoses). The only issue I had was that I rebuilt my compressor with a new seal kit from Griffiths, and I put the nose seal in backwards, so it failed a few months later. 

The Classic Retrofit system was just coming to market when I was starting my project, and I decided not to take a chance on something which cost $1k more and was unproven at that time. Since then it seems to have proven itself to be a good solution, so if you are willing to spend the extra money you would get something much simpler to install. The Griffiths products have been the standard for 10-15 years or more, from what I could tell, so you definitely can't go wrong with those. Contact Griffiths for a quote, rather than just piecing together an order yourself on the web site, because he will be able to make some recommendations for your situation and I think will give you a slight discount. 

If you're located near Melbourne, I'd be happy to show you my install and talk about the challenges. I shot a lot of video during the process but never got around to editing it and posting it anywhere. I should try to get to that...

17 hours ago, Coastr said:

James I have also looked at this issue for my black SC coupe but still not pulled the trigger and pondering what to do this summer.  There are a bunch of threads (below) that cover all option pro's and con's as Coastr points out.  In my case I wasn't doing a DIY due to  lack of tools and space so my pricing was based on an installed system.  

In my investigation:

Option 1 most cons out way the pros, particularly using 40 yo technology in Australian summers, hence maybe why a number have been ripped out of early cars and are available

Option 2 I explored and spoke to autohaus as they had a retrofit option they sold they did suggest option 4 below was a better way to go for optimum spend and performance

Option 3 was my thought and at $5452 (2,995 quid) plus freight and then install, it was getting expensive. Again some experience on here (search threads) around finding someone who knows how to install it properly. https://www.classicretrofit.com/products/air-conditioning-kit-for-classic-911-full-kit

Option 4. Autohaus suggested now they do a retrofit of a 993 system which they have done in a number of cars but its a circa $10k+ fix but the best option for max performance they have been able to find.

Maybe see if any members in and around Sydney have done the above options that you can check out prior to pulling the trigger. 

23 minutes ago, edgy said:

Trade up to a water-cooled car with proper air-con? 😛 

this is the actual answer.

and I've still got some 911 air con bits and pieces if you're interested (sold the car I was going to put it in a few years ago)

2 hours ago, autojack said:

I put the Griffiths components in my car back in 2017. Sadly it has not seen a great deal of use since then, but I highly recommend it. It is a lot of work to install, but I did all of it myself or with occasional help from a friend (when routing the new hoses). The only issue I had was that I rebuilt my compressor with a new seal kit from Griffiths, and I put the nose seal in backwards, so it failed a few months later. 

The Classic Retrofit system was just coming to market when I was starting my project, and I decided not to take a chance on something which cost $1k more and was unproven at that time. Since then it seems to have proven itself to be a good solution, so if you are willing to spend the extra money you would get something much simpler to install. The Griffiths products have been the standard for 10-15 years or more, from what I could tell, so you definitely can't go wrong with those. Contact Griffiths for a quote, rather than just piecing together an order yourself on the web site, because he will be able to make some recommendations for your situation and I think will give you a slight discount. 

If you're located near Melbourne, I'd be happy to show you my install and talk about the challenges. I shot a lot of video during the process but never got around to editing it and posting it anywhere. I should try to get to that...

Thanks @autojack. Im sydney based but appreciate the offer!

1 hour ago, Tips said:

James I have also looked at this issue for my black SC coupe but still not pulled the trigger and pondering what to do this summer.  There are a bunch of threads (below) that cover all option pro's and con's as Coastr points out.  In my case I wasn't doing a DIY due to  lack of tools and space so my pricing was based on an installed system.  

In my investigation:

Option 1 most cons out way the pros, particularly using 40 yo technology in Australian summers, hence maybe why a number have been ripped out of early cars and are available

Option 2 I explored and spoke to autohaus as they had a retrofit option they sold they did suggest option 4 below was a better way to go for optimum spend and performance

Option 3 was my thought and at $5452 (2,995 quid) plus freight and then install, it was getting expensive. Again some experience on here (search threads) around finding someone who knows how to install it properly. https://www.classicretrofit.com/products/air-conditioning-kit-for-classic-911-full-kit

Option 4. Autohaus suggested now they do a retrofit of a 993 system which they have done in a number of cars but its a circa $10k+ fix but the best option for max performance they have been able to find.

Maybe see if any members in and around Sydney have done the above options that you can check out prior to pulling the trigger. 

Thanks mate. Great to see I'm not the only one. I guess my irish skin makes me a little less tolerant of heat! Nice to see you're thinking along the same lines! I've been chatting to Dave at Cavaco so will mention to him too when im down with him next week! Thanks again for that mechanic reco @OBRUT, Dave is a gent!

49 minutes ago, edgy said:

Trade up to a water-cooled car with proper air-con? 😛 

How do I downvote something here? ;) Aircooled for life! :D 

9 minutes ago, wilburforce said:

Speak to @Pork Chops

He is a pig for the classic retrofit solution (pun intended).

If I was adding aircon that's the route I'd go down.  Even Rod Emory has just put on in his latest build.

Thanks mate, will shoot him a message!