Climate Controls + 2-DIN - Cup Holders = / != Centre Console Delete?

CapnHyaku

I have something in mind that I can't see if anyone else has done before or not.  But maybe some have and failed and I should learn from their mistakes...

I want to delete the centre console because of my height and knees and comfort.

Also, I dislike the flimsy cupholder, wonder of engineering that it is.

I am thinking I can remove the cupholders and just fit the climate controls and a double-din head unit in the space there.  There will be some hacking at the plastic and some hand made metal brackets.

Has anyone heard of this being done before?  Am I on a fool's errand?

32 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Thanks for the link, I am aware of the console conversion kits.

My question is about fitting the climate controls AND a double din media head unit in the dashboard with the cupholders removed.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Nah Cap'n,  man up, delete the console  and go for a nice and easy Continental single DIN radio and cup holders that clip onto the forward door pocket.......

10 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Are you talking about the one where he does the reverse camera?

Yes I think thats the one , I think he fitted a new head unit install kit that helped with making it all fit with a stanatd look . Been a while since i watched it.

On 18/11/2020 at 10:17, CapnHyaku said:

Yeah, I did watch that.  It was very informative but didn't cover the specifics I'm after.  Thanks anyway for responding!

I’m in a similar dilemma sir.
Trying to resolve where I could relocate the HVAC . Have access to 3D print.  however, so far nothing resolved, as only logical though inconvenient location for HVAC is setback under dash where the delete panel is.

If it’s about reverse camera ? could man up put on chaps ala @TwoHeadsTas go with sgl Din unit/ reverse mirror/HVAC combo and delete  centre console . Something I might consider.

picking up on last comments @hugh @DJM on the 964 thread .. 996 sans HVAC might not be as enticing as a ballsy 964. P.a never thought 964 a/c that bad.

9 hours ago, michel said:

I’m in a similar dilemma sir.

Imma gonna git out the calipers.

Going to measure the harness with only the vents and see if I can jerry rig something to hold it all in, at least tight enough for the kind of girls I would like to date.

9 hours ago, michel said:

If it’s about reverse camera ?

It's about the Android Auto and the Waze with the speed camera warnings and the like.

1 hour ago, CapnHyaku said:

Imma gonna git out the calipers.

Going to measure the harness with only the vents and see if I can jerry rig something to hold it all in, at least tight enough for the kind of girls I would like to date.

It's about the Android Auto and the Waze with the speed camera warnings and the like.

http://www.google.com/glass/start/

an alternate ?

17 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

I already got one.  I was one of the original glassholes.  Makes very good POV driving videos, but taking your kids to the park is problematic.

Hate to be buying secret Santa for you 

so what about if you pair the specs with these 

001(1).JPG

And Just rip out the console? You got a Sawzall ?

19 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Why stop there? Take off the roof and enact scenes from mad max!

Dear sir , we are overdue for a beer... being a good doodling pen

though

more seriously , if you get close to a Solution interested 

in my 74 targa iPhone on cradle /Bose noise cancelling is a useful combo 

Would you be able to fit the the HVAC unit into the centre console storage unit between the seats? 

If it fits inside that space surely you could run the wires between the centre tunnel and the centre console into the storage container.  It would be tucked away, but still easily accessible.

21 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

Would you be able to fit the the HVAC unit into the centre console storage unit between the seats?

It's a great idea and it would fit but the wire bundle is not long enough I have found today.  And there are A LOT of tiny wires to patch if I wanted to extend it.

Centre console is out and I have spent the better part of today figuring out what the previous head unit installer had done.  There were so many wires patched unnecessarily and a really scrappy RCA and power lead to the centre console for a digital radio unit.

_5rX19NYskkPq_WjDZ9ZqAyezz6ZWXYA_QNNKDrlRwA5dwGPFDxQ11SQ-14nU-FcUr243UIXf9_fJUBuW0_5H7cTzGwS_ES3BaTBjiK0SwfA_DWiSgRtBjVg_-xwTs5QG8jpbzRJ90O49gfqK8eQ8pcuL7C3K8Pk1DfiGzW8BbX9iD8eQDXoHAUVyKe61NJKbjK2LzwpMoD2Fh6g9WYjL3IlbuJs0KsUCHzzoAEvPymG1eafhOJ0OwaJVMJ0cOdSRh021W4ivanramK3pzoRrHFEMyo3iw2NQn1HomKsmrQBEjWP_qO0L5PXHlpV0GLc6RfK87SMnL59v1cYQicpkU47Ikm5PeO8wRgm6indIM0G66vWsludlXfDBDBamBDagf1Kzjt-WTD5TKLvJG8dVJ3FXHaxFkoyuFnEbepfJStKTgvO6tccUpFNar0CKmZopFKTN0dH_W3YYICy5DaHzmkdBXIaBFDIQCK4k_BlWh3XQJhrclbCE1vcYcqQ01QrZgCSrzvYe80CHA_dXV2oUJnh7v8GnSFkIhqxOV283w2YLvivx8YurRtD5mabflNtMSyaFVwckiadF5Q3mtpmYHFdc8-ZDaL0dltPF2N7Vh3MTRgB1LgUpnysQpcPhyNtVecuWJyQuIievwh-cLtagZLIkS8B9FK06AnByvY8o1fdN2fPr8uJYi92zUq2JA=w1174-h881-no?authuser=0

18 years of knee rubbing captured in a piece of trim:

-4GDHU3FpNoNjAqZVBWasPhQsqKWOd-IEL-iiTyI1KniEa9T7hzpUhHT9uxVkPXIzMKbHODZDN0L3nRssTD4ROG1vMQrvPar9oNg2eAlPVE3zG36f-vjb-4SbbNtsUzJK-2Wei3ZBAkjQUgExaFZ1TGMQLnRNDDClmqNv3HEc5XzPUoi9igbOVHYU09oecIp0runQbTvbSFxnCCfyRKNdTiHhqpUDrZlJM1USLikq95vhTrza6mIwyFPiNEaAlu6y22BX3fKcH8XIQnRxIeShLLiFsSP4Di8NCFl-3-FXWBtPx94vC4u62s7cyLlSAZbd5j7DFkPBO5ypZDL3nTFL9zx55fV-frZXMUmmVh0q0yeao3cf5zyiN6vsfjYbnuMVxmyORUeHG_0u0TC5vUgoY1wr5PMj_QaUxhbg7DJD54t-UBPCKnWfzx1Z5Hwj9PY94z0tpB7IIrfqkljzwqPplAQWjzdR38OVa5yEsHraoSwBmKIXJFa1vhnBNY3cCEKRB60Pbar6czHKqstrz86BWyTZCAPf1SZN5L4C9W-cd4WD8i0hkhga45Klsy3Bh07mdOpacaWiEiCB2RA8TPdQkGikCgbP3Xr_gOsx_eUdond56UbF5zC8n_AYJ3L8mfd3mXAOPlxPyUGanu4IiIi8NX994iKUnMuyEbmsSkUEQaqTWgwnoI0tc63xNLnvw=w661-h881-no?authuser=0

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Sent off to be made!  I might not get to fit it until after Christmas but this is really happening.  If it works and looks nice enough I will share the DXF and destructions @michel

You are too too kind dear Sir…

been  thinking also a roof mounted console...  Trans Am style might be a good way to go as well. searched all the usual threads and places and surprise surprise a virgin mod