RS Recreations

Have read quite a bit about the O/S versions of RS recreations (PS, Singer etc) but I wasnt aware that they were also being built here. I hadn't heard of Zag before I saw this ad (see below) today. Seems odd to start with a 964 C4. Wouldn;t you want rear wheel drive to have some semblence of the real deal?

I love the pre impact bumper look but not interested in the maintenance and fettling to keep them running reliably. I've been looking at 996 C4S for $65k or so and 997 C2S from $90k with the idea it would replace my GTi as a daily driver. But on second thoughts, I am now considering keeping the Golf which means I can afford to go a bit more left of centre with the Porsche.

I have no doubt it cost more than the asking price but what you spend rarely equates to what it's worth when time comes to sell. Can this be worth $82k by comparison - I guess much of it is only 2 years old but.... I 996/997 versus air cooled replica is not a realistic comparison, just interested in what people think the orange car is worth. Standard 964s seem to fetch $40k+ so it's about double the price.

At $60k it would seem good value? I suspect the owner is quite likely a forum member? Does anyone know the car/owner. Being in Seaford, I am surprised I have not seen it around.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-carrera-1989-13921313?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=0&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%204294963765%204294963638%201216&find=rs%7cCarAll&silo=Stock&num=15&sort=default

Seems a bit unusual to use a 964 C4 as the donour car. Also since the donour is a UK car, maybe the choice was also done for savings, as a oz delivered 964 C2 would be far more expensive.

The custom anodised 3 piece rims wit Fuchs centres are unusual.

3.2 and SC seems to be more commonly used for donour cars on recreations.

Here is an example that I think took quite a while to sell.

http://www.healeyfactory.com.au/listing/1988-porsche-911rs-replica/

http://www.healeyfac...-911rs-replica/

Spot on Doug, I believe that was a Zag car also........................

Obviously I get the appeal of a 73 rs, whats not to like? I understand the attraction of trying to re-create (almost!) one of these cars like maybe using an SC or 3.2 as Doug suggests but I have never been on board with the 964 doner car examples - there is just so much not right? Nothing really fits and to me they just look lame, whats wrong with a clean 964?

It is definitely not worth the money to me over an original 964 or a 997 for that matter - have either in a heartbeat!

(Feel much better now, thankyou)

I can see the appeal of the backdate, all the mod cons and performance with the classic looks and minimal rust, maybe a 964 is a bit extreme, perhaps mid 80's with g50 and clean body.

When I was buying I really wanted the classic lines of the long bonnet but the more research I did the more I realised that the pre galvanised bodies will almost be guaranteed to be rust inhibited. I even visited the Zag brothers and did a little tour of the current cars in the shop, as we were walking through all of the early 70's that had been stripped back had rust somewhere important. One of the brothers made the comment "I am sick of working on the early cars they are all rusted out".

my 2c

Ok, thanks guys

Kind of what I was thinking - something not quite right about starting with 964 and also all wheel drive. Likely to be a real problem with resale - it was hard enough to sell my clubman with non typical drivetrain (Honda vtec) despite being a fantastic car.

I'll stick with clean and original I reckon - seems to be the right formula for Porsche buying. Can't stand all those early cars updated to 964 style with wings and big wheels - all I see is gold coast tackiness!

Ether 3.2 carrera if second car or 997S if daily driver is current thinking. Not in any hurry so will take my time and drive a few

Thanks again for confirming my suspicions!

I don't regard the Singer cars as an 'rs recreation' - they are much more, something completely in their own league. (+$$$$$)

Fully agree Hugh. They are so left field that they have their own identity.

A Singer doesn't purport to be a back date or a recreation of a particular model.

It is so individual that it's easily identified as a Singer.

Yes, big bucks, but I'd love one if I could afford one.

At $60k it would seem good value? I suspect the owner is quite likely a forum member? Does anyone know the car/owner. Being in Seaford, I am surprised I have not seen it around.

http://www.carsales....15&sort=default

60K would buy a decent 964C2 which to me is a considerably more attractive proposition than a C4, backdate or not.

I can see the appeal of the backdate, all the mod cons and performance with the classic looks and minimal rust, maybe a 964 is a bit extreme, perhaps mid 80's with g50 and clean body.

When I was buying I really wanted the classic lines of the long bonnet but the more research I did the more I realised that the pre galvanised bodies will almost be guaranteed to be rust inhibited. I even visited the Zag brothers and did a little tour of the current cars in the shop, as we were walking through all of the early 70's that had been stripped back had rust somewhere important. One of the brothers made the comment "I am sick of working on the early cars they are all rusted out".

my 2c

And the car you bought has been backdated by Zag if memory serves me well, you must be the guy that bought Wayne's RS recreation?

http://www.healeyfac...-911rs-replica/

Took a while because the price was too high. The car that tk111 bought was on the market for about a week.

Ether 3.2 carrera if second car or 997S if daily driver is current thinking. Not in any hurry so will take my time and drive a few

Thanks again for confirming my suspicions!

Impact bumper as a weekend/track car and GTI as a daily would be a nice combination.

+1 on the Singer cars. The detail they go to is mind blowing. Like RUF I think they can be reguarded as a car maker in their own right.

As an aside, I got the feeling Magnus Walker is very much trying to get a little ride on their coat tails after seeing his advertorial with him saying things like "i get a real buzz from people selling my old cars as ex Magnus Walker"

60K would buy a decent 964C2 which to me is a considerably more attractive proposition than a C4, backdate or not.

And the car you bought has been backdated by Zag if memory serves me well, you must be the guy that bought Wayne's RS recreation?

Took a while because the price was too high. The car that tk111 bought was on the market for about a week.

Yes Randall good spotting, I bought Waynes car, Zag did start the backdate but sold it before it was done, Wayne eventually finished it off after it spent some time in a shed somewhere.

Yeah, funny story about the timing of the purchase, I was browsing whilst still researching/learning and the wife happened to see it and encouraged me to do the drive up to Sydney to check it out. Anyway one thing led to another and after a decent PPI and what I felt was a reasonable price for what it was I ended up with it.

tk

is it wrong that the only RS (recreation or not) that i want is a 964 in that purple/pink colour? (ruby red)

although, i guess no one would expect any less from my current car colour

Yeah I'm the same, I like the look of 73 RS recreations, but if I had a 964 to start with, I'd just go the 964RS recreation route instead :D