PCCM Plus

KieranD

With Christmas just around the corner (i have been a good boy this year), i am thinking about buying the PCCM Plus for my 996.

With that said, the Australian price is a little steep (just under AUD$3k).  

Suncoast have the USA model for about US$1300 (AUD$1750) and suppliers in Europe seem to have them for about 1300-1500 (AUD$2050-2400).

Does anyone know if the USA/Europe models are compatible with Australia?  From my cursory review the part numbers seem to be identical.  

11 hours ago, KieranD said:

With Christmas just around the corner (i have been a good boy this year), i am thinking about buying the PCCM Plus for my 996.

With that said, the Australian price is a little steep (just under AUD$3k).  

Suncoast have the USA model for about US$1300 (AUD$1750) and suppliers in Europe seem to have them for about 1300-1500 (AUD$2050-2400).

Does anyone know if the USA/Europe models are compatible with Australia?  From my cursory review the part numbers seem to be identical.  

I believe they are the same with the only difference being the built in maps in the navigation.

If you’re happy to use only Google maps via the Android Auto, then I don’t see any reason you couldn't use it.

There might be some sort of agreement with Porsche for sellers not to sell internationally. It’s one way to help control their market.

As i understand, Porsche Centre Melbourne are charging $3k for the unit plus installation and any minor additional parts you may need for your specific car (i.e. climate control trim to relocate it to the lower compartment, etc.).  I havnt confirmed the installation/additional costs with Porsche Centre Melbourne.  

Having done a little more digging this morning, there seems to be 2 model codes available.

1. 996-642-591-00
  2. 996-642-591-00C

I am having trouble confirming the differences, but i suspect the 996-642-591-00C unit is for the US market (even though some sites suggest the 996-642-591-00 can be purchased in the US).  If i try and get this internationally, i think it is safer to get it from Europe, due to the similarities in the DAB and FM/AM ranges between Australia and Europe.  

The 'onboard' maps are sold separately on an SD card.  The prices above do not include the maps.  The price of the maps in the US is about US$150.  I am not sure if the Australian maps will work on an international unit (i.e. if they try and 'region lock' the PCCM+ unit).

For those interested, i fell down the rabbit hole yesterday and think i have figured it out.
There are 2 models:

1. 996 642 590 00 (Rest of the World, RoW, model)
  2. 996 624 591 00 (US model).

The units themselves seem to be identical, but the US model does not come with the DAB module (the RoW model includes the DAB module).  As such, for Australia, you would really want to get the RoW model.

The cheapest supplier of the RoW model seems to be Rose Passion in Europe.  At current exchange rates and with shipping and taxes, it is likely to cost about AUD$2400.  For me, this is not enough of a saving to make it worthwhile.  I will just purchase it directly from Porsche here in Australia. 

When I spoke to Porsche Melbourne 4 weeks ago they said that it would not be available till next year. Sounded more like end of q1.. 

We are still waiting on Porsche Germany to release the PCCM’s to our market, we’ve been advised the release has been pushed back until early 2021 now, sorry I don’t have an actual date.

@AndrewM

That is interesting.  The RoW and US models seems to be readily available online.

I wonder if this is to do with the unit itself or the maps?

Our AM/FM/DAB frequencies are the same as europe.  GPS is standard.  So i dont expect they would need a new model specifically for our region.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:08, Dreamr said:

There might be some sort of agreement with Porsche for sellers not to sell internationally. It’s one way to help control their market.

I agree.

I too wonder whether there is some sort of "DRM" on the devices so that we can be sold the devices and the "maps" at Australian prices...

• 3 months later...
On 09/04/2021 at 23:14, Madmax58 said:

Did u purchase? I did from PCM and have self installed. 

Do you mind if I ask how you find it?  Any issues with the install?  Is your car MOST and/or Bose?  It seems the widely reported noise and amp power issues are only with the earlier cars (PCM1, or perhaps non-MOST?).  A bit of a minefield to work out what spec gives the issues and it's a big chunk of money for something that doesn't work correctly.

I'm also interested in some of the other basic functionality which doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the very generic "reviews" online.  Does it for example adjust the volume automatically with speed, and if so does this work well?  These cars are pretty noisy and one thing I like about the PCM2 is that the volume adjustment per speed is done very well.   Does the unit default back to its previous mode, eg if you have the radio on and turn the car off does it come back on exactly as before when you hop back in?  My Audi always defaulted to the off state after you stopped, which was annoying in that first world problem kind of way.  :)

Just after a general vibe on a real world impression of the unit.  It is clearly just a lightly rejigged android headunit the likes of which I got for my e39 for $400.  That unit is great but has some weird behaviours I can accept given the price.  The same sort of faults in a $3k unit would be harder to take.

3 hours ago, st3ve said:

Do you mind if I ask how you find it?  Any issues with the install?  Is your car MOST and/or Bose?  It seems the widely reported noise and amp power issues are only with the earlier cars (PCM1, or perhaps non-MOST?).  A bit of a minefield to work out what spec gives the issues and it's a big chunk of money for something that doesn't work correctly.

I'm also interested in some of the other basic functionality which doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the very generic "reviews" online.  Does it for example adjust the volume automatically with speed, and if so does this work well?  These cars are pretty noisy and one thing I like about the PCM2 is that the volume adjustment per speed is done very well.   Does the unit default back to its previous mode, eg if you have the radio on and turn the car off does it come back on exactly as before when you hop back in?  My Audi always defaulted to the off state after you stopped, which was annoying in that first world problem kind of way.  :)

Just after a general vibe on a real world impression of the unit.  It is clearly just a lightly rejigged android headunit the likes of which I got for my e39 for $400.  That unit is great but has some weird behaviours I can accept given the price.  The same sort of faults in a $3k unit would be harder to take.

From the reviews I have read online about it, it is generally thought of as poor value for money.

I can’t comment on the functions you are after but from features that you can get with aftermarket units, at a 1/4 of the price, its quite antiquated.

BUT ... if I was going to update the unit in mine, I would also put one of these in. The reason I would, and probably most others do, is to keep the factory look. I am yet to see an aftermarket unit not look “out of place” in a 996 ...

I think overall though, most buyers are happy with the unit ...

I looked at the PCCM for mine and eventually went with an aftermarket Kenwood unit. A number of reasons for this cam eup, but primarily functionality and the ability to run a system with different external amps etc.

I agree the PCCM looks stock and blends in, however for me I was not that wedded to maintainign stock look and I like the end result of the install.

I went for the Alpine LX-107 with Wireless CarPlay and installed a reversing camera.

Feeding cable to rear a bit of a job. MFX video certainly an inspiration.

Works well, although I have a little AM crackle.

Considering PCCM for the authentic look, but it has less features.

For now I'm happy.

IMG_3210D.jpg

Nice work @White_996, did you install it yourself or get someone else in Melb to do it?

What camera did you purchase?  I have a wireless one that I haven't installed yet but it links to my phone and I'm wondering if the Alpine would just take a straight wireless connection direct from the camera (presuming it needs to recognise the camera software)?

What about the surround, does that come with the display and fit the dash or did you get that somewhere else?

I just got my car back from Autohaus Hamilton after they fitted the PCCM Plus system for me in my 1999 996.

My vehicle has the analogue factory amp fitted.

Things I like:
* The sound quality is good
* display is easy to read
* "control/rotary knob" is awesome to be able to quickly turndown volume
* touch display works well with an iPhone.

What is terrible however is the "external usb interface". With the USB box installed in the top middle of the cubby, I can just squeeze my iPhone X below it, but my wifes iPhone 11 won't fit. I have just ordered https://www.amazon.com.au/BATIGE-Female-Extension-Motorcycle-Dashboard/dp/B01N66N1JK/ref=sr_1_2 so that I can hide the box behind the cubby.

4 hours ago, tomo said:

Cool , Who's wifi, Does the unit have its own wifi source? Or does the wifi come through your phone.

No wifi ... It uses android auto or apple car-play to mirror the maps and apps. The phone connects to the unit via a USB cord.

In other aftermarket units, the phone can connect via bluetooth.