PCCM Plus

KieranD

5 hours ago, 911CSR said:

Late reply...Work interceeds again 

Thanks for the pic. Doesn't look too modern for the interior.

Naturally the PCCM unit is the winner for aesthetics, but it may be the features/practicality of the other brand options that win out.  

40 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Thanks for the pic. Doesn't look too modern for the interior.

Naturally the PCCM unit is the winner for aesthetics, but it may be the features/practicality of the other brand options that win out.  

If you are worried about it blending in they sell ones without a Bezel which can work.

Even the side buttons which illuminate on the touch screen you can change the colour to whatever the interior light colour is.

This is the one I have on my 987.2 model which is the Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT which has both wireless Apple Carplay and wireless Android Auto which PCCM doesn't have (they only do wired) and you can rebrand the launch screen if you really want to.

Way cheaper!

MVIMG_20200824_145503.thumb.jpg.23aeefd34dc056f37123ded652271000.jpg

1 minute ago, rego said:

If you are worried about it blending in they sell ones without a Bezel which can work.

Love it.

Yes, the interior looks out of place with some. Especially in the 996. 

1 minute ago, rego said:

Way cheaper!

This is Way better looking IMO - without the bezel makes it fit right in. 

Also, will be way more useful having the wireless feature. Thanks for sharing the model no, will do some searching.

I definitely agree that the lack of wireless Carplay plus the ugly external USB connectivity box is a huge detractor from the PCCM plus solution. The biggest point for me was the rotary volume control, to quickly be able to silence the radio without having to stomp on buttons, or even worse, attempt this from a touch screen. The other alternative for me would have been the Sony XAV1000 - https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sony-sony-xav-ax1000-apple-carplay-head-unit/561850.html again unfortunately without wireless carplay.

However, having said that, I would imagine you will require some form of charging solution with wireless carplay as would Waze or Google Maps not chew through the battery really quickly? In which case, maybe the cable for power (and data) isn't such a terrible thing after all...

I've decided to just get a Mr12volt adapter so I can stream bluetooth and answer the odd phone call.  For the rest I'm happy enough with the PCM2 and the odd occasion I need navigation etc I just use a phone anyway.

One slight advantage of an in-dash unit is that it's legal to be fiddling with that while it's a major fine and points to be fiddling with a phone (even if dash-mounted).  This in spite of the fact they are operationally identical - a good case of the legal system not keeping up with technology.  I usually find interacting with any sort of GUI too distracting when driving anyway.  Old school dials and buttons are so much easier than all this newfangled claptrap, you can perfectly use them without taking the eyes off the road.

• 2 months later...
On 22/04/2021 at 01:03, AndrewM said:

I just got my car back from Autohaus Hamilton after they fitted the PCCM Plus system for me in my 1999 996.

My vehicle has the analogue factory amp fitted.

Things I like:
* The sound quality is good
* display is easy to read
* "control/rotary knob" is awesome to be able to quickly turndown volume
* touch display works well with an iPhone.

What is terrible however is the "external usb interface". With the USB box installed in the top middle of the cubby, I can just squeeze my iPhone X below it, but my wifes iPhone 11 won't fit. I have just ordered https://www.amazon.com.au/BATIGE-Female-Extension-Motorcycle-Dashboard/dp/B01N66N1JK/ref=sr_1_2 so that I can hide the box behind the cubby.

Now you have a couple months with the unit, how does it stack up for day to day use? And how is the phone bluetooth quality?

Cheers

The PCCM plus unit works well for me for weekend drives. Having Waze/ Google maps has definitely improved things as I mostly drive alone.

I haven't used bluetooth, only directly wired the phone via Carplay. Voice calls are okay. I can understand the other party, although my wife tells me the quality of my voice on the remote end isn't wonderful. This may be due to me having decided to mount the microphone on the windscreen rather than the steering column though... Thankfully I don't actually use the "phone" much so am okay with that. Haven't tried playing with Siri at all - probably should look at how that works together with this setup...

The unit hasn't crashed yet, which is something I was slightly worried about. Is it worth $4000 after parts and install? Probably not, but it does look factory and that was important to me.

BTW, we hid the USB box, and now only the ports are exposed using the extension cable. Unfortunately, it was installed into (and replaced) the existing cigarette lighter socket. Will at some stage probably move it into the "batwing" shaped panel  below the little storage cubby in the central column.

Thanks @AndrewM 

I am looking to step into 996 daily, and one thing that is really nice in the Macan (that will be hard to forgo) is the PCM, so this will be a must if that proceeds as I think it will.

I did look into that USB integration, as I agree it looks pretty un-sightly with the box in the storage cubby... I happened across this on rennlist, in the batwing as you say, it completes the OE look IMO and will be a must for me! 

pccm_oem_install_03d95806e1d0585f47fab1142868711c541c1855.thumb.png.bfcdf8a68d3465bde974e7afc1d03142.png

14 minutes ago, edgy said:

I did look into that USB integration, as I agree it looks pretty un-sightly with the box in the storage cubby... I happened across this on rennlist, in the batwing as you say, it completes the OE look IMO and will be a must for me! 

Wow, that looks way better. I was really put off by that too…

53 minutes ago, edgy said:

Thanks @AndrewM 

I am looking to step into 996 daily, and one thing that is really nice in the Macan (that will be hard to forgo) is the PCM, so this will be a must if that proceeds as I think it will.

pccm_oem_install_03d95806e1d0585f47fab1142868711c541c1855.thumb.png.bfcdf8a68d3465bde974e7afc1d03142.png

Any chance you have the thread handy from rennlist, that is far more practical and looks way better! 

I plan on having the PCCM installed at my next service. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jim from Sound in Motion got back to me last week, and provided me with the following details:

> This panel modification requires 4 hours of labor.  Typically, the customer sends us their factory panel and PCCM USB hub.
> For shipping to AU, I would have you coordinate that yourself for a DHL pick up.
> We don't manufacture a new panel, just modify the existing. 

I have left detailed pricing out here as he would prefer people contact him directly.