2002 Porsche Boxster S 986 Auto - What is it really worth??

Jason E

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-boxster-2002/sse-ad-6856447/

I like this as a daily.  Well sorted car.  Surely though this is a lot for a 986 even with the addition of the low K's / IMS/ hard top.

What is a fair price to seller & buyer???

Happy to pay for a good car just don't want to pay too much.  Thought I'd ask before I call.

cheers.

Capture.PNG

5 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Thats what I thought.  I think 30k is the right money for the blue S.  Just want some confirmation that I'm not lowballing.

2 minutes ago, Rod C said:

Would have thought its way over market pricing though as the badge indicates it is a turbo.😉

Yes I saw that - bit naff.  I wonder if even 30k is a bit high as mid 30s get's you a standard 987 which equates to the performance of an S in the 986.

Way too much IMHO.  Tell him he's dreaming....

The badges on the back don't do much for me and the Turbo badge, :Confused02: what's with that. ??????

K's in the owners write up are 45k and in the tech specs etc say it is 57k.   Still low though..

S a plus, Hardtop a plus, IMS a plus... but 25 to 30k would be about it for me.   It is a tipper...Even 30 is absolute top money.

Don't forget to include the PPI price as well....

I may be way off the mark....:unsure:

5 minutes ago, Niko said:

Way too much IMHO.  Tell him he's dreaming....

The badges on the back don't do much for me and the Turbo badge, :Confused02: what's with that. ??????

K's in the owners write up are 45k and in the tech specs etc say it is 57k.   Still low though..

S a plus, Hardtop a plus, IMS a plus... but 25 to 30k would be about it for me.   It is a tipper...Even 30 is absolute top money.

Don't forget to include the PPI price as well....

I may be way off the mark....:unsure:

I was thinking high 20's, otherwise yes, 987 is the way to go.  As a guide, I could only get $29k for a 135km 05 987 S manual 2 years ago- OK that is higher Kms, and no IMS, so probably pretty comparable.  Given this is a Tip, absolutely no more than $30k per Niko

Just got off the phone to him.  74 year old gentleman, nice bloke but fixated on the fact that he wants to recover all the money he has spent on the car.  He said everything is "slightly" negotiable.  I don't think he would go under 35k if that.

Time to move on.

Just now, Jason E said:

Just got off the phone to him.  74 year old gentleman, nice bloke but fixated on the fact that he wants to recover all the money he has spent on the car.  He said everything is "slightly" negotiable.  I don't think he would go under 35k if that.

Time to move on.

Yep, good decision, if you haven't found anything in 3 months, this will probably still be available.....

1 hour ago, Jason E said:

Time to move on.

Yep, I think I would be leaving it Jason, not many of us ever get the money back on what we have spent on our cars.   Be nice if you could.

17 minutes ago, michel said:

If S is not an issue nor is hardtop 

Look at the Boxster in Bowral - red blk interior and a manual 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1263436164?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=ios_VIP&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Thanks but I am looking for an auto.  Cheers.

2 minutes ago, michel said:

Thanks,  I don't think I am fussy, keep looking please,  preferably blue with, under 50 thou k's, one owner, full service history, & under $22k.  See, easy pleased............😎

3 hours ago, Niko said:

Yep, I think I would be leaving it Jason, not many of us ever get the money back on what we have spent on our cars.   Be nice if you could.

I'm pretty good at spending unrecoverable dollars on my cars.  In fact I'm somewhat of an expert at it.......

Boy are you guys paying big money.

All markets are local, I realize that. But ...

For an S with my choice of transmission,  well kept, records available, IMS done with the right stuff, hardtop, soft top in perfect condition, no wrecks history, newish appropriate tires, etc. car I would expect to pay no more than $15k US and that only after my mechanic had inspected it and done things like leak-down tests, alignment checks and measured everything.

In the US, 986 Boxsters are appreciating slowly. Every once in a while I see a 986 over $20k asking but it lingers. Still $30k AU is $22.5 US or so ...

You are better off buying the right car and paying more than the wrong one and paying forever trying to make it right.

2 hours ago, mikefocke said:

For an S with my choice of transmission,  well kept, records available, IMS done with the right stuff, hardtop, soft top in perfect condition, no wrecks history, newish appropriate tires, etc. car I would expect to pay no more than $15k US and that only after my mechanic had inspected it and done things like leak-down tests, alignment checks and measured everything.

In the US, 986 Boxsters are appreciating slowly. Every once in a while I see a 986 over $20k asking but it lingers. Still $30k AU is $22.5 US or so ...

You are better off buying the right car and paying more than the wrong one and paying forever trying to make it right.

I agree anywhere near $30k for a tipper (or manual for that matter) 986 Boxster is nuts, but it is a very different market over here. Porsches (and most cars) are MUCH cheaper in the US. In fact as a rule of thumb, whatever price you can get a car for in the US, you can double it to work out the price here. 

3 hours ago, mikefocke said:

Hi Mike, long time between drinks, good to see you back.   Hope you're keeping healthy over there.       As Jeff says we seem to be ripped off compared with the rest of the world.  People who purchase cars are also hit with a 33% "luxury car tax" when a car is purchased both new and pre owned.with a threshold of  

..FUEL EFFICIENT VEHICLES $77,565.  

OTHER VEHICLES  $68,740.  

Luxury car tax was originally brought in to protect our local vehicle manufacturing industry.   We no longer manufacture any cars here, but the government has kept that tax on.   (thieves)