TARGA ROOF - facelift

michel

Going to do a renewal of the roof on my ‘74 targa . Shouldn’t and doesn’t need a total overhaul though a recent drive with someone who was interested in it , convinced me of the merit.

so will post stuff here as I progress.

1st is to do order of parts which will include.
- Correct front seal for early car

- external Vynil roof skin

- custom dbl skin liner 

may need some new fasteners etc as I’m going to rebuild a spare  roof I have l,  that is original to this car . It’s totally razzed.

a possible benefit to this is ensuring the targa roof is as good a fit as possible . Discovered there are 7 roof variations, whilst they all can attach to a car , they don’t necessarily fit well.

Rebuilding the old one will also enable me to continue to drive the car. 

I had already redone the targas roof a cpl months ago replaced the seals and a new liner and did a check over.

Prior to the refurb it was like most/all,  ‘leaky’,  though targa roof sat well and was ‘quiet’.

purchased front, rear, side seals though AH and spent and continue to spend time finessing fitment. 

however due to the front seal in particular been an incorrect part;  it is 964 specific, it does not allow the roof to sit into the channel on the front screen frame  correctly, creating excessive wind noise at anything approaching enjoyable speeds.

So I’m ordering correct seals and other parts from Targa Dan to fix this issue.

while the roof skin and interior liner is pretty good, I’m going to order these new as well. 

so has anyone recently  ordered parts for DIY Targa fix  from Targa Dan or, any other supplier.?

if so please offer opinions on quality etc

cheers  

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Edd China from that tv car show Wheeler dealers did a resto/refit of a Targa roof a few years ago if you need guidance @michel

Thx dude . Been looking at how too’s awhile ... I’ll have a squiz

going to make a jig if necessary otherwise use the car , so can keep it true so it is able to fit the opening.

Parts list/pricing from ‘TARGA DAN’

1.  front seal  $200
2.  rear seals $189 
3.   External skin (German vinyl) $200 SPECIAL CUT
4. double layer internal liner.$150
5. foam and special reinforcement, not burlap $100 
6. webbing$100
7.fasteners , Rivets,, screws
8. rear pin covers  $50
8. advice on correct glues, clip modification, seal modification.

• 1 month later...