992 GT3 Market Watch

DJM

2 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

https://instagram.com/janerikslooten?utm_medium=copy_link
So boring he is almost asleep at the wheel 🙄 needs to be manual 😂

what an awesome track love to drive it one day 

I drove a public day there that was 10x busier than that. 8 laps of terror. Mostly because of the speed differential between slow and fast cars, also the lack of margin for error, and the fees involved for hitting anything are immense. Never mind the car.

Definitely not for the faint of heart (or pretenders like me). Ring taxi was well worth it though.

3 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Definitely not for the faint of heart (or pretenders like me). Ring taxi was well worth it though.

I could only imagine, looked like driving the on ramp out of the city at peak hour. Pretty amazing to have that ability to drive a  track like that. 

5 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

I could only imagine, looked like driving the on ramp out of the city at peak hour. Pretty amazing to have that ability to drive a  track like that. 

Brand new M5 driven at 9/10ths by a professional driver in bulk traffic.

10/10 - would recommend. I know why they had spew bags in there, was not expecting him to go that hard 😂

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

I drove a public day there that was 10x busier than that. 8 laps of terror. Mostly because of the speed differential between slow and fast cars, also the lack of margin for error, and the fees involved for hitting anything are immense. Never mind the car.

I’ve done it twice, epic but not what I’d call fun.  We chose slow-ish cars, too risky in a fast car and no prior experience.  The dudes in tweaked GT3s and M3/4s zapped past at warp speed.  The bus load of Korean tourists was interesting…….and the family in a diesel Peugeot wagon.  Crazy place.

2 hours ago, DJM said:

I’ve done it twice, epic but not what I’d call fun.  We chose slow-ish cars, too risky in a fast car and no prior experience.  The dudes in tweaked GT3s and M3/4s zapped past at warp speed.  The bus load of Korean tourists was interesting…….and the family in a diesel Peugeot wagon.  Crazy place.

That a new learning for me.  I thought it was strictly R rated and not PG.

10 hours ago, DJM said:

Hard to believe that they don't have session times aimed at trying to level things out somewhat. If its one for all i can see how accidents could easily happen with closing speeds and unique times cornering lines 😬😬 

13 hours ago, sleazius said:

I did a lap on the bike then a real lap in the ring taxi . After that I knew I was never capable of driving like that . I am a poor passenger at the best of times 

55 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

Hard to believe that they don't have session times aimed at trying to level things out somewhat. If its one for all i can see how accidents could easily happen with closing speeds and unique times cornering lines 😬😬 

You need to come more prepared to go to Coles these days than do a lap of The Ring . I could not believe it was like entering a car park one after another 

7 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

I did a lap on the bike then a real lap in the ring taxi . After that I knew I was never capable of driving like that .

Bit like me being in the passenger seat of a 991 GT3RS at Luftwasser - 4 identical cars all having a real go on the way back from the country pub on the Saturday.  Made me realise I didn't really aspire to own one, and that my 996 GT3 could get me into enough trouble as it was......

29 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Bit like me being in the passenger seat of a 991 GT3RS at Luftwasser - 4 identical cars all having a real go on the way back from the country pub on the Saturday.  Made me realise I didn't really aspire to own one, and that my 996 GT3 could get me into enough trouble as it was......

😂😂 way more trouble to be had in a 996Gt3 on the limits scary compared to a 991RS 

3 hours ago, wilson59 said:

I did a lap on the bike then a real lap in the ring taxi . After that I knew I was never capable of driving like that . I am a poor passenger at the best of times 

You need to come more prepared to go to Coles these days than do a lap of The Ring . I could not believe it was like entering a car park one after another 

Unless you really have no other option, IMHO, Tourisfarhten days at the ring should be avoided. On most days, there are a lot of cars with vast differences in closing speeds and driving skills. One minute you are closing in on a VW van at a vast rate of knots wondering if they have seen you and next you have a ring guru closing you down. You spend so much time looking in the rear view mirror for faster cars or overtaking slower cars, that its hard to focus on driving the correct lines. After doing a few Tourisfarhten days, I swore off them.

Instead, I started doing private track days and closed training days with Porsche, preferably with an instructor. You can learn more in two days than you could doing dozens of Tourisfarhten sessions. And do it safely.

Sadly, now that I am permanently back in OZ, these days are pretty much over.

Did a few Ring Taxi laps way back in the days it seems as well as a private track day. As WGA mentioned Tourisfarhten days are not something I would EVER venture into as the disparity in cars, expectations and most importantly skill level of the drivers is INSANE!!

We spent a day crusing aroudn teh various watching locations and saw more than a few brown pants moments as well as a few accidents requiring the guys in high-vis vests to come calling. One was minor-ish, the other two were write-off and one of those required a ambulance.

10/10 to visit, watch and have someone who really knows what they are doing show you how its done or supervised...Free for all run what ya brung Tourisfarhten days are a hard pass for me...

On 05/07/2021 at 00:53, smit2100 said:

That a new learning for me.  I thought it was strictly R rated and not PG.

Remember it’s a public road so you buy a ticket and do a lap, no helmet required, kids in the car, bus loads of tourists, anything goes.  Trouble is Mr GT2 RS MR with helmet is out there at the same time and on a flier so disparity in speed is massive.  Having said that, they say these guys shouldn’t gun for a lap time on Tourist days.  But white line fever takes over.  

we found majority of people are sensible, only passing on the left helps and slower guys tend to indicate and get out of the way.

It’s an epic crazy experience but both times I’ve been, me and a mate did 10 laps each and then got the hell out thanking our lucky stars we didn’t crash or get crashed into.  It’s like Bathurst, you survive and say never again and then over time you find you want another go……..2013 I said never again.  2017 I said never again.  I was booked to go back May 2020, taking my brother to have a go at Ring and Spa , visit Sinsheim, Porsche Museum and the usual haunts that he’s never been to but Covid killed it.  I’ve promised him we WILL do it but it’ll probably be 2023 now in full PPE……😂

6 hours ago, DJM said:

Remember it’s a public road so you buy a ticket and do a lap, no helmet required, kids in the car, bus loads of tourists, anything goes.  Trouble is Mr GT2 RS MR with helmet is out there at the same time and on a flier so disparity in speed is massive.  Having said that, they say these guys shouldn’t gun for a lap time on Tourist days.  But white line fever takes over.  

we found majority of people are sensible, only passing on the left helps and slower guys tend to indicate and get out of the way.

It’s an epic crazy experience but both times I’ve been, me and a mate did 10 laps each and then got the hell out thanking our lucky stars we didn’t crash or get crashed into.  It’s like Bathurst, you survive and say never again and then over time you find you want another go……..2013 I said never again.  2017 I said never again.  I was booked to go back May 2020, taking my brother to have a go at Ring and Spa , visit Sinsheim, Porsche Museum and the usual haunts that he’s never been to but Covid killed it.  I’ve promised him we WILL do it but it’ll probably be 2023 now in full PPE……😂

I was there 2 days, the first day we saw 3 cars in a row hit some coolant / oil or something and end up binning it from a spectator point in the space of 10 mins (one of them a 991 GT3 RS). About an hour before that I'd been out in the taxi.

When we drove it the following day there were at least 5 accidents, two of them fairly serious, enough to write off the cars anyway (drivers unharmed).

Never again. Closed track or nothing.

On 05/07/2021 at 12:40, WGA said:

Unless you really have no other option, IMHO, Tourisfarhten days at the ring should be avoided. On most days, there are a lot of cars with vast differences in closing speeds and driving skills. One minute you are closing in on a VW van at a vast rate of knots wondering if they have seen you and next you have a ring guru closing you down. You spend so much time looking in the rear view mirror for faster cars or overtaking slower cars, that its hard to focus on driving the correct lines. After doing a few Tourisfarhten days, I swore off them.

Instead, I started doing private track days and closed training days with Porsche, preferably with an instructor. You can learn more in two days than you could doing dozens of Tourisfarhten sessions. And do it safely.

Sadly, now that I am permanently back in OZ, these days are pretty much over.

This times 100000. I've never been so white-knuckled in my life driving the tourist session in that much traffic with such a disparity between skill levels. Asians in a hire car with luggage piled up so they can't see out the back, driving around 70 kph, while some local in a worked GT3 RS flies past them at damn near 300 kph. You're stuck in the middle trying to get out of the way of one, while avoiding running up the back of the other.

Not my favourite going to the right onto marbles at 180 kph.

Hard pass.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, mc968cs said:

i like them - but they look just like a carrera in that side shot :( 

Its amazing really given the only things that have changed externally are the deletion of the rear wing and the body color to front bumper. 
Closer inspection reveals its truth pretty quickly. 

23 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Looking like a Carrera is kinda what their selling point is. 

I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to wear my wing on the outside - Loud and Proud :CoolDance:

:Chuckle2:

Prefer to run under the radar myself keeping the package concealed until required.😂

10 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

Prefer to run under the radar myself keeping the package concealed until required.😂

Makes sense to me, says he who has a nice understated, common as muck (well almost) Arctic Silver 996 GT3.  Quite a few silver Caymans around here, "officer are you sure it was this car being reported........" 😉