992 GT3 Market Watch

DJM

22 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Was at Phillip Island this week. Someone had a new silver one there. I didn’t get any lap times but am keen to see how it laps PI. 

I was lapping with a manual one at the bend last week on the international circuit. Its lap times were in the vicinity of 2:03 sec or 11-12 seconds per lap slower than a 991 cup car. The car was being piloted by an experienced Porsche racer.

7 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Thanks mate. Any non-cup but GT cars to compare to?

Off the top of my head on the same day, a 991.2 was doing 2:05, a GT4 with A052 tyres and full fabspeed exhaust/tune was doing 2:05 and a GT2RS 2:03. I’ve done 2:09 in my stock 996 GT3 and 2:01 in the 996 cup. All times quoted above are by experienced drivers.  (996 cups did 1:37s at PI back in the day when they were run by pros in Carrera Cup).

The 992 was off the showroom floor, just run in, no alignment changes. I’d imagine PDK with an alignment tweak would be a 2min lap . Basically. they’re fooking fast 😄

I hear on the grapevine that in the last week or so people are getting their GT3 Touring allocations confirmed with build dates.  So far it's been pretty much crickets from mine so interested to hear from anyone who has had a 992 GT3 Touring allocation confirmed from their dealer.

15 hours ago, WGA said:

I hear on the grapevine that in the last week or so people are getting their GT3 Touring allocations confirmed with build dates.  So far it's been pretty much crickets from mine so interested to hear from anyone who has had a 992 GT3 Touring allocation confirmed from their dealer.

Nothing as yet either, I've been told that the 1st batch of Touring's they focussed on the 70th Anniversary Model which has delayed the other build slots. I have heard of 1 person out of NSW getting a March build slot recently;  my dealership PCB  (vic) there has been 2 x 70th additions this year a PTS slot in Feb and 2 others in the 1st Qtr. 

Hoping to hear late Jan early Feb at this stage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, WGA said:

My spec. And it’s coming a bit earlier than expected. Late April delivery!

FACEA8D2-95A2-4063-B5AC-511719B232C3.jpeg

That is what we want to see. Awesome. Something in a cool colour so it doesn't look like every other monochrome Camry on the road :D 

12 hours ago, luzzo said:

Nice. Very nice.

Hope it's a Manual?

Which blue is that?  (Shark Blue?).

Sorry to disappoint you but.....it's PDK.

I have been there and done that with a manual in my 991.2 GT3 Touring....and I have to say....irrespective of what Chris Harris says....to me, its not the GOAT that everyone seems to think it is. I had a somewhat of a love-hate relationship with the manual box. Especially 3rd-2nd which would seriously baulk in left hand corners when the car was heavily loaded....and 4th-5th which had a bit of an awkward "across and up" action. In chatting to other owners, nearly everyone who had experienced a money shift, it was accidentally grabbing 3rd when they wanted 5th. I was one of those.

So I am not automatically a manual romantic...nor am I a manual luddite.....because at the same time I also owned a 964 RS, 996 GT3 RS and a 997 GT3 RS...and never had a problem with any of those boxes.

Also, having also owned a PDK 991.2 GT3 (with wing) and a 991.2 GT3 RS, I came to the conclusion that you can extract much more of the character of the engine....more of the time....with a PDK.

Oh...and yes, it is Shark Blue.

18 minutes ago, WGA said:

I have been there and done that with a manual in my 991.2 GT3 Touring....and I have to say....irrespective of what Chris Harris says....to me, its not the GOAT that everyone seems to think it is. I had a somewhat of a love-hate relationship with the manual box. Especially 3rd-2nd which would seriously baulk in left hand corners when the car was heavily loaded....and 4th-5th which had a bit of an awkward "across and up" action. In chatting to other owners, nearly everyone who had experienced a money shift, it was accidentally grabbing 3rd when they wanted 5th. I was one of those.

So I am not automatically a manual romantic...nor am I a manual luddite.....because at the same time I also owned a 964 RS, 996 GT3 RS and a 997 GT3 RS...and never had a problem with any of those boxes.

Also, having also owned a PDK 991.2 GT3 (with wing) and a 991.2 GT3 RS, I came to the conclusion that you can extract much more of the character of the engine....more of the time....with a PDK.

What a great and considered insight share. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, WGA said:

Normally on face value, I'd say its disappointing, but knowing your history of cars I get it... and having recently added a 2 pedal Carrera 2, I can honestly say, I love having a 911 that is daily friendly, I drive that thing everywhere! My RS will never see the same usage, and I am sure those are the same sentiments you share? 

PS - have you kept the Red Aussie RS? 

16 minutes ago, edgy said:

Normally on face value, I'd say its disappointing, but knowing your history of cars I get it... and having recently added a 2 pedal Carrera 2, I can honestly say, I love having a 911 that is daily friendly, I drive that thing everywhere! My RS will never see the same usage, and I am sure those are the same sentiments you share? 

PS - have you kept the Red Aussie RS? 

For the moment, yes. The Touring will join the garage...but....I am just not getting the use of the RS that I used to get in Europe and the UK with my green one. So I may move it on and get something older. I especially want a 964 again (just a C2 not an RS this time around) but all the cars that tend to come up for sale in Australia are pretty much rubbish so I will probably get one from trusted sources in the UK.

IMG_7499.jpg

1 hour ago, WGA said:

nearly everyone who had experienced a money shift,

Haven't heard 'money shift' in a while - :Chuckle2:

Shark blue is extremely awesome (cornflower whatever). I'm sick of Porsche offering a palette of crap colours to entice you to take up PTS. Nice choice.

44 minutes ago, WGA said:

For the moment, yes. The Touring will join the garage...but....I am just not getting the use of the RS that I used to get in Europe and the UK with my green one. So I may move it on and get something older. I especially want a 964 again (just a C2 not an RS this time around) but all the cars that tend to come up for sale in Australia are pretty much rubbish so I will probably get one from trusted sources in the UK.

IMG_7499.jpg

I want to grab a M3 touring as a daily when they land here, but that face is one that only a mother could love. I'm assuming you just don't notice it after a while?

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

Haven't heard 'money shift' in a while - :Chuckle2:

Shark blue is extremely awesome (cornflower whatever). I'm sick of Porsche offering a palette of crap colours to entice you to take up PTS. Nice choice.

I want to grab a M3 touring as a daily when they land here, but that face is one that only a mother could love. I'm assuming you just don't notice it after a while?

Oddly, I never disliked it from the get go and, in the flesh, it looks pretty aggressive. I don't think it will take long for people to accept it.

I actually wanted to get a 992 GTS Cab as I had previously owned a 991.1 GTS cab and really enjoyed the car. But, Australia won't be receiving any 992 GTS cabs until 2023 and with 2 summers between now and then, I went out and bought what I think is the next best thing - a M4 Competition conv.

I have only had the car 1 week and in that time it has become my "go to car" I have not touched the Boxster GTS 4.0 or anything else in that time. It's that addictive. It's got huge performance, rides pretty well, sounds terrific when you are up it and quiet when you are not. Indeed, after only one week I am seriously asking myself do I now want a 992 GTS cab at more than DOUBLE the price. I reckon its a performance bargain.

On 07/01/2022 at 10:36, WGA said:

Great feedback and what you say makes sense. I also agree that the PDK does extract more / or a different character from the engine with shorter gearing lightning shifts electronic diff etc.  For me though as I don't have the luxury of multiple cars at this point in time it makes the decision more difficult based on my actual experience. If i had an older manual air cooled car that met those needs I could ?probably be tempted into a PDK.

However manual wins out for the engagement, the challenge is whats satisfying for me as manual boxes go surely its up there with the best.
As you describe the difficulties in certain shift  environments for my mind that right there is the beauty of a manual, get it right and there’s no better driving experience.  

I can only relate to living with a PDK style box with one of the families GTI Performance In DSG format. (I know its not a GT3 but bare with me)
20% of the time i drive the car in a sports environment I feel engaged even then i just dial the settings up and let it do its own thing,  80% of the time I'm just a passenger which i just don't find satisfying enough, its good, nice, faultless, quick but just not satisfying enough of the time. 

This is just my thoughts, an opinion its certainly not a defence of the manual.  

i look forward to hearing about the car when you get it.
cheers Scott