992 GT3 Market Watch

DJM

On 11/01/2022 at 11:51, SS 3 said:

Great feedback and what you say makes sense. I also agree that the PDK does extract more / or a different character from the engine with shorter gearing lightning shifts electronic diff etc.  For me though as I don't have the luxury of multiple cars at this point in time it makes the decision more difficult based on my actual experience. If i had an older manual air cooled car that met those needs I could ?probably be tempted into a PDK.

However manual wins out for the engagement, the challenge is whats satisfying for me as manual boxes go surely its up there with the best.
As you describe the difficulties in certain shift  environments for my mind that right there is the beauty of a manual, get it right and there’s no better driving experience.  

I can only relate to living with a PDK style box with one of the families GTI Performance In DSG format. (I know its not a GT3 but bare with me)
20% of the time i drive the car in a sports environment I feel engaged even then i just dial the settings up and let it do its own thing,  80% of the time I'm just a passenger which i just don't find satisfying enough, its good, nice, faultless, quick but just not satisfying enough of the time. 

This is just my thoughts, an opinion its certainly not a defence of the manual.  

i look forward to hearing about the car when you get it.
cheers Scott

I originally ordered my black 3 in a manual, as my 991.2 ‘3’ is the same, and I have always enjoyed shifting myself. But changed my mind after reading about the new ‘manual style’ shifter, and the ability to ‘push/pull’….and I am thrilled that I did. To me, it’s a perfect compromise between having the amazing shift speeds of a PDK, together with the push/pull shifter…works like a charm. Never touch the paddles, or auto. Love this car. 

7 hours ago, davidd said:

I originally ordered my black 3 in a manual, as my 991.2 ‘3’ is the same, and I have always enjoyed shifting myself. But changed my mind after reading about the new ‘manual style’ shifter, and the ability to ‘push/pull’….and I am thrilled that I did. To me, it’s a perfect compromise between having the amazing shift speeds of a PDK, together with the push/pull shifter…works like a charm. Never touch the paddles, or auto. Love this car. 

Which is up a gear? Pull or push?

I've got zero interest in flappy paddles, but sequential style up/down I don't mind at all.

49 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Which is up a gear? Pull or push?

I've got zero interest in flappy paddles, but sequential style up/down I don't mind at all.

Down shift is forward upshift is backwards which I think would feel natural - putting the shifter into manual mode in RHD pushes it away from you which is a shame more suited to LHD 

10 hours ago, davidd said:

991 GT3 you can manually shift via push/pull of the shifter.  I’m not clear on all the fuss around the “manual style” shift for PDK in 992.  To me, all that’s changed is the leather boot and a round knob like a manual but the functionality is the same.  Am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, DJM said:

991 GT3 you can manually shift via push/pull of the shifter.  I’m not clear on all the fuss around the “manual style” shift for PDK in 992.  To me, all that’s changed is the leather boot and a round knob like a manual but the functionality is the same.  Am I missing something?

I wonder the same thing, I thought it was the same as the last gen with the change what you've noted. 

35 minutes ago, DJM said:

Some video I watched it seemed they’re making a big deal about it compared to the little toggle thing that’s in the rest of the 992 range:

7F19EE6A-9BFD-4F62-9FCE-96D973B1B141.jpeg.a41e588e7eee8717e067b0d3f8f00b81.jpeg

Just now, JWM said:

Some video I watched it seemed they’re making a big deal about it compared to the little toggle thing that’s in the rest of the 992 range:

Yes but they imply it’s some new thing for PDK that approximates manual driving.   A crock of shit given prior models had the same setup!  Marketing at work.

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

It's like everyone losing their minds over "double wishbone" suspension...mx5's have it.  Not arguing the car isn't blisteringly fast and fun to drive, just that marketing seems to have focused on some odd stuff with the 992 gt3.

Its because they couldn’t do anything with the engine. “Look over here, a rabbit!”

On 16/01/2022 at 16:58, JWM said:

I don’t agree that it’s a ‘c of s’….it’s actually the feel of the manual shifter that creates the compromise I mentioned, as compared to the previous toggle lever. But I guess you’re entitled to call it whatever you like. Luckily we all have different tastes.

On 16/01/2022 at 20:31, cafe_racer said:

It's like everyone losing their minds over "double wishbone" suspension...mx5's have it.  Not arguing the car isn't blisteringly fast and fun to drive, just that marketing seems to have focused on some odd stuff with the 992 gt3.

I agree. I have been doing the history of Ferrari in our Fun Facts segment, and they only switched to double wishbones in 1962, so it is pretty new technology :D

On 16/01/2022 at 20:01, cafe_racer said:

I think its more focussed on Porsche has just broken with tradition by fitting the double wishbone, than thinking they've reinvented suspension technology. If it's improved the handling of the car, then that's a good improvement 

• 3 weeks later...

7 hours ago, teknostar said:

First one I’ve seen on the secondary market. Someone wants a bit of profit!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2021-porsche-911-gt3-992-manual-my22/OAG-AD-20507475

Relative to the market it seems priced about right. If you consider that the 992 GT3 deliveries are well down on what was forecasted for Australia to date and there appears to be very little information on how many more Australia will be getting. To date they have build slot allocations up to the end May.

Based on this I'd say there will be a lot of people whom had allocations that will be missing out all together now......... unless they build more beyond 2022 which seems unlikely with the GT4RS and GT3RS  to be built on the same line as well as all the std 911's and caymans.

7 hours ago, SS 3 said:

Relative to the market it seems priced about right. 

Spoken like a truly independent 992 GT3 owner to be 😂

On 22/01/2022 at 12:00, davidd said:

I don’t agree that it’s a ‘c of s’….it’s actually the feel of the manual shifter that creates the compromise I mentioned, as compared to the previous toggle lever. But I guess you’re entitled to call it whatever you like. Luckily we all have different tastes.

991 didn’t have a toggle lever.  Same shifter as 992 GT3 PDK has just different knob and boot.  The crock of shit reference is that they make it out to be the first time you can push/pull shift a PDK.  Umm, no, that’s always been how it operated.  Nothing new other than how it looks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/01/2022 at 19:31, cafe_racer said:

As I recall the 1950 MG TD had a double wishbone suspension (front at least).

Honda preludes had double wishbone back in the day.

But hey I’m old enough to remember when ‘twin cam’ was a big marketing thing.  They could have used that for the 996.  It’s hilarious what’s been used to get people excited about cars over the years.  Ford made a big deal about the mustang getting IRS when nearly every other car on the road had it.  Most car buyers are clueless and arrive with a large information deficit, so feeding them a feature to ask for makes the customer feel special.

marketing people love to pull out some rando feature and make it a big deal.  They have empty adverts to fill and the 911 evolves pretty slowly.  

38 minutes ago, Coastr said:

But hey I’m old enough to remember when ‘twin cam’ was a big marketing thing.

Remember when everything in the kitchen had a 'turbo' badge on it? - and it wasn't a vacuum unless it was a 'turbo'. :Chuckle2:

23 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Remember when everything in the kitchen had a 'turbo' badge on it? - and it wasn't a vacuum unless it was a 'turbo'. :Chuckle2:

Nothing has really changed, as they even have 'Turbo' on a non turbo EV Porsche! 

Stupidity at its finest