Modbox box modded mk1

michel

Nothing too much to see.. as yet .. but hope to have it done over next few days 

and its all been done before 

Have been trying to get my hands on some early Boxster boxes and exhaust pipe to play with 

ill get it coated later . to those who are getting things coated , advised by a local guy to me , titanium finish due to one of the chemicals used currently not available 

first mod 1.5inch Pedro Sport Exhaust/fister mash up

001(8).HEIC

and a bit of old skool bending - sand in the tube.

001(3).JPG

If anyone has a spare Boxster rear  box and or some of the bent  tube that  slips between the box and cats please let me know 

17 hours ago, st3ve said:

Nice work!  e30 in the background?  Will this mod make the new acquisition as vocal as the black one?

Blk one sounds like a water buffalo been fukd... hoping this mod, a little more refined 

We’ll see next week once bolted up 

blk 996 looking for better valves and may try do something with the bypass too make it more sonorous - particularly  at idle /parking speeds...some have claimed it offensive 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the first iteration bolted up . got it done without removal of the bumper cover

Not 100% convinced, though does do it nicely at 4K onwards - took it for a night outing down through local river roads.

As for drone will have to wait for the next highway run.

Whilst everyone e says this is a version of the PSE, as I’ve never heard one up close with the bypass open cannot comment.

if anyone has n original lPSE let me know. please.

Next version I think is bimodal 

I’m definitely getting a hoist. 

can’t seem to directly link the Vid.  .

so hit  the image and it’ll direct you 

before 

001(10).MOV
after 

001.mov

I can conclude by saying that the 1.5 inch bypass mod is quite Loud .

Going  to install a baffle to see what /if any difference it makes 

next version will have a valve and or go back into the muffler similar to porsche sport exhaust .

Just for comparison Michel, both my Boxsters are 3.2's and both have the same system as yours albeit the pipes run along the "top" of muffler so can't be seen. One has 3/4" pipe. The other has 1" pipe and 1" holes through the baffles via each tailpipe. They both sound pretty similar to yours at idle but the 3/4 is a bit sharper and barky at mid high revs than yours, and the 1" is very similar to yours but deeper and better sounding deeper at revs than my 3/4 one. Neither drone at any speed and I'm happy with both

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Just for comparison Michel, both my Boxsters are 3.2's and both have the same system as yours albeit the pipes run along the "top" of muffler so can't be seen. One has 3/4" pipe. The other has 1" pipe and 1" holes through the baffles via each tailpipe. They both sound pretty similar to yours at idle but the 3/4 is a bit sharper and barky at mid high revs than yours, and the 1" is very similar to yours but deeper and better sounding deeper at revs than my 3/4 one. Neither drone at any speed and I'm happy with both

Thx for the info 

got a Cpl sound clips ? 

On 04/02/2021 at 21:35, Troubleshooter said:

Here's the exhaust sound Michel, sound here is pretty accurate:

https://imgur.com/a/Bfrd758

Or click on the movie file to open and download

🤔🤔🤔 sounds like it should ... so 1” with CRIOS mod ?

29 minutes ago, michel said:

🤔🤔🤔 sounds like it should ... so 1” with CRIOS mod ?

Yep, 1" pipes welded from exhaust pipes into tail pipes,

And also 1" holes in all baffles.

Done by punching sharpened 1" x 12"  bolt (Bunnings) inside the  tail pipes. Don't try drilling as it is a PITA and will take you an hour of frustration. 

Try and hit the bolt in as best you can at a 90 degree angle to the muffler as the first baffle is curved.

Complete the first application of "punching" with sharpened 5'8 x 12"  bolt and then repeat with 1" bolt. 

Don't hit the bolts in as far as possible or you'll go through the back of the muffler, only go in as far as the bolt head level with the end of exhaust tip, maybe even not that far. iI's a series of hitting the bolt in 3 or 4 inches, then wobbling wrenching it back out, then hitting in further, then wrenching back out etc etc.

Cheap good noise!

11 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Yep, 1" pipes welded from exhaust pipes into tail pipes,

And also 1" holes in all baffles.

Done by punching sharpened 1" x 12"  bolt (Bunnings) inside the  tail pipes. Don't try drilling as it is a PITA and will take you an hour of frustration. 

Try and hit the bolt in as best you can at a 90 degree angle to the muffler as the first baffle is curved.

Complete the first application of "punching" with sharpened 5'8 x 12"  bolt and then repeat with 1" bolt. 

Don't hit the bolts in as far as possible or you'll go through the back of the muffler, only go in as far as the bolt head level with the end of exhaust tip, maybe even not that far. iI's a series of hitting the bolt in 3 or 4 inches, then wobbling wrenching it back out, then hitting in further, then wrenching back out etc etc.

Cheap good noise!

I’ve got a second and spare muffler

Which I will do the CRiOS mod.

As well as working on a manual valve. Cheap and bimodal… Kind of suits my personality 🤭😅

I’m still really keen to try and locate an early 986 Porsche sport exhaust . Want to cut it open to see what they actually did

Anyone have anything?