G series backdate to RSR

blue_ixxi

Hi all,

I am considering backdating my 911 SC, which the previous owner has already done a few backdating bits to already. They wanted to make an IROC RSR out of it, but I am more keen on a longhood RSR version.

I have researched and found a few workshops online that supply the required body kits

- TRE motorsports

- DP motorsports 

- Getty Design

I know I will need a new set of front fenders, hood, front and rear bumpers, which seems fairly straightforward. I already have wide body rear panel and duck tail on my car.

What I am unclear about is the hood. Most hoods seem to require cutting out and welding in a part of the panel to fit the latch. TRE motorsports seems to have a version that doesn’t require any chopping and welding. 

Has someone tried a backdate project without cutting out and welding stuff in for the hood? I have looked online and most examples (including our own @MFX home built required hacking and welding panels.

82618555-70E4-4C54-AA21-68F47436303C.jpeg

AB792455-3147-4857-BDE5-A4917F1EFA25.jpeg

19 minutes ago, blue_ixxi said:

Hi all,

I am considering backdating my 911 SC, which the previous owner has already done a few backdating bits to already. They wanted to make an IROC RSR out of it, but I am more keen on a longhood RSR version.

I have researched and found a few workshops online that supply the required body kits

- TRE motorsports

- DP motorsports 

- Getty Design

I know I will need a new set of front fenders, hood, front and rear bumpers, which seems fairly straightforward. I already have wide body rear panel and duck tail on my car.

What I am unclear about is the hood. Most hoods seem to require cutting out and welding in a part of the panel to fit the latch. TRE motorsports seems to have a version that doesn’t require any chopping and welding. 

Has someone tried a backdate project without cutting out and welding stuff in for the hood? I have looked online and most examples (including our own @MFX home built required hacking and welding panels.

82618555-70E4-4C54-AA21-68F47436303C.jpeg

AB792455-3147-4857-BDE5-A4917F1EFA25.jpeg

Thats as purdy as they come 

I used fibreglass front indicator bezels for mine from rennspd.com

Nothing I had done to backdate my SC wasn't reversible until I hit a guard rail, and one side has been replaced with a steel indicator bezel.

Give me a shout if you want to know more

2 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

You would have to be bonkers to chop up that. It’s mint how it is, especially in the arrow blue! Spend the money tweeking the mechanicals instead. That’ll be a lot more fun

Thanks. Yeah it’s pretty nice, which is why I have kept it as it is for the last 3 years. The mechanicals are pretty sorted too, so not much to do there as well. I guess it’s either a desire to own a longhood or the boredom from COVID that’s making me consider the backdating option. 

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

I used fibreglass front indicator bezels for mine from rennspd.com

Nothing I had done to backdate my SC wasn't reversible until I hit a guard rail, and one side has been replaced with a steel indicator bezel.

Give me a shout if you want to know more

Thanks @LeeM will do!

There's also the option of running a fibreglass hood and some old school straps that secure to the front bumper, or flush mount latches that bolt to the existing latch panel at left and right.

My hood is an SC that had a fibreglass extension fitted onto it. It uses the original latch and I've put a wire with a ring on it to open it.

You don't need to cut anything if you source the right bits. And for what its worth, TRE Motorsports are expensive

2 minutes ago, Carrera28 said:

I commend your vision to get the car that you want and reckon it's worth serious investigation, what are describing will look amazing and if you replace the panels it's all reversible and pukka looking RSR in that blue colour would look fantastic.

Yes! Reversible is what I am aiming for, hence my hesitation to chop anything that makes it non reversible.

1 hour ago, blue_ixxi said:

Thanks, but do these fit existing impact bumper fenders or do you need to cut them to fix these?

Yep, they fit straight on to existing SC guards...with some adjustment of the bezel (e:g pie cut/trimming etc). I actually used hot melt glue to hold them in place on the guard once I'd shaped and fitted as well as I could get them (very strong glue too), then bogged the small gap and laid fibreglass sheet over the top. I've never done this sort of thing before, and how I did it is probably deemed as dodgy (I'm not going to argue that analogy). I could have spent more time using bog and sanding etc, but I'm very impatient and not fussy. 

The only thing I had to cut on the whole car, was the rear reflector panel. You can't fit a backdated bumper without doing that, yet keep the piece thats removed and a good welder can refit it easily enough. From starting to cut that rear centre panel off, to having the backdated bumper fitted and secured exactly where I wanted it was within 2 hours. The front took probably a few evenings of mucking around with the bezel. Trim, fit, trim, sand, fit, trim etc. Total cost of it all including second hand fiberglass bumpers, bezels, old front indicator lenses, bog and fibreglass kit was around $2000. I swapped my SC hood for one that had already been backdated from a mate. I sold all my original bits which covered that and some change. 

Depends how handy you are, you could do it in a weekend if you're not mega fussy and have the bits ready. I have an RS front bumper I'm not going to use, so let me know if you want it and we can work out a cheap price

Feel free to call me anytime if you want to have a chat about it all

Lee

This is how they turned out with no cutting of the guard or anything else. I only removed some brackets and the shockers underneath for the impact bumpers

I'm not going to say they were perfect, and in all honesty I should have A. Been a lot more patient, or B. Used metal bezels and had them welded on by a pro, but that wasn't in my budget

20171115-144833.jpg

15 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

Thanks. Yeah it’s pretty nice, which is why I have kept it as it is for the last 3 years. The mechanicals are pretty sorted too, so not much to do there as well. I guess it’s either a desire to own a longhood or the boredom from COVID that’s making me consider the backdating option. 

Thanks @LeeM will do!

It will end up making you want a longhood even more.

43 minutes ago, Spotta said:

From someone doing a backdate. I would put an IROC bumper on it and a few other easy changes and be done. 

Yeah I have looked into that as well. That would be much easier, but I find IROC bumpers too plain, lacking a bit of character. But that would complete the build and won’t require any cutting/ welding/ chopping bits.

My bonnet did not require any cutting of the front structure. It has a short hood inner skin with a long hood outer so the latch hasn't been moved. I did weld on an extension as you can no longer reach the latch with the long hood in place. 

The front is easy. Set aside your current front guards and get some long hood guards and a bonnet like mine (from Mike Tankard). 

The rear is where you have to cut if you want a backdate. You have to remove the support bracket from behind the reflector panel if you want that look. 

That said, as the others have eluded to, it would be much better to just swap out for Iroc bumpers and go with a duck tail or flat decklid for a hot rod look. Much easier and less invasive.

3 hours ago, Spotta said:

From someone doing a backdate. I would put an IROC bumper on it and a few other easy changes and be done. 

But he wants a longhood 😅

Jeff's idea of swapping the guards is probably the easiest way, yet you'll still have to cut and grind to make them fit, unless you get lucky and they line up perfectly with good panel gaps at the doors...which I highly doubt they will. If you wanna do it right, and don't want to use fibreglass and happy to spend some coin, find some old SC guards, buy the metal bezels and have them fitted. Thats the three options you have. 

The way I did it with the fibreglass bezels was the cheapest option for me.

Put the IROC spoiler under the G series bumper in place of the valance, retaining the bellows and the rubber trims, then it wouldn’t look so “bland” .Probably requires cutting the IROC bumper off the spoiler though, or transfer the rubber pieces to the IROC, but I think there is a recess in the G series bar for the rubber strip.

As with all these spoilers, where do you put the number plate ?

...and put a whale tail on it.

On 25/12/2020 at 19:57, LeeM said:

Yep, they fit straight on to existing SC guards...with some adjustment of the bezel (e:g pie cut/trimming etc). I actually used hot melt glue to hold them in place on the guard once I'd shaped and fitted as well as I could get them (very strong glue too), then bogged the small gap and laid fibreglass sheet over the top. I've never done this sort of thing before, and how I did it is probably deemed as dodgy (I'm not going to argue that analogy). I could have spent more time using bog and sanding etc, but I'm very impatient and not fussy. 

The only thing I had to cut on the whole car, was the rear reflector panel. You can't fit a backdated bumper without doing that, yet keep the piece thats removed and a good welder can refit it easily enough. From starting to cut that rear centre panel off, to having the backdated bumper fitted and secured exactly where I wanted it was within 2 hours. The front took probably a few evenings of mucking around with the bezel. Trim, fit, trim, sand, fit, trim etc. Total cost of it all including second hand fiberglass bumpers, bezels, old front indicator lenses, bog and fibreglass kit was around $2000. I swapped my SC hood for one that had already been backdated from a mate. I sold all my original bits which covered that and some change. 

Depends how handy you are, you could do it in a weekend if you're not mega fussy and have the bits ready. I have an RS front bumper I'm not going to use, so let me know if you want it and we can work out a cheap price

Feel free to call me anytime if you want to have a chat about it all

Lee

This is how they turned out with no cutting of the guard or anything else. I only removed some brackets and the shockers underneath for the impact bumpers

I'm not going to say they were perfect, and in all honesty I should have A. Been a lot more patient, or B. Used metal bezels and had them welded on by a pro, but that wasn't in my budget

20171115-144833.jpg

Amazing hack! Thanks for sharing. Quite surprised how well it’s turned out for the price and the effort you put in. 

7 hours ago, Spotta said:

Yeah I am coming to the same conclusion. IROC seems like an easy route. Just not sure if it will look better than it’s current looks and whether it’s worth the time/ effort.

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

But he wants a longhood 😅

Jeff's idea of swapping the guards is probably the easiest way, yet you'll still have to cut and grind to make them fit, unless you get lucky and they line up perfectly with good panel gaps at the doors...which I highly doubt they will. If you wanna do it right, and don't want to use fibreglass and happy to spend some coin, find some old SC guards, buy the metal bezels and have them fitted. Thats the three options you have. 

The way I did it with the fibreglass bezels was the cheapest option for me.

Yeah. I really do want a longhood. But maybe that needs to be a different car than trying to convert this into one.

5 hours ago, MFX said:

My bonnet did not require any cutting of the front structure. It has a short hood inner skin with a long hood outer so the latch hasn't been moved. I did weld on an extension as you can no longer reach the latch with the long hood in place. 

The front is easy. Set aside your current front guards and get some long hood guards and a bonnet like mine (from Mike Tankard). 

The rear is where you have to cut if you want a backdate. You have to remove the support bracket from behind the reflector panel if you want that look. 

That said, as the others have eluded to, it would be much better to just swap out for Iroc bumpers and go with a duck tail or flat decklid for a hot rod look. Much easier and less invasive.

Chopping rear reflector is news to me and that effectively kills my longhood plans.

IROC sounds like the best option here. Just need to be sure it’s worth the effort.

23 minutes ago, RwGreeny said:

I think doing it as a 3.0RS would look amazing! Change the bumpers and wing, delete the sill trims, chrome headlight rings, gold side script and wheel centres. It would look the absolute tits!!! In fact here is one I prepared earlier 

312BB557-5931-4006-BC72-43E080F3DF57.jpeg

Very nice! And gold is a nice look for the scripts and the wheel centres.

What do you mean by deleting the sills trims? What does that entail?