Deposit

TonyT

Hi all, I am in the fortunate position of buying my dream car an MY20 (992) new or near new 911, I live in Sydney, just so I don't come across as an amateur when doing a deal, can you regular buyers please help me with a few questions? Its much appreciated:

1. Whats the Deposit required to secure a factory order for a new 911.... carrera or carrera S, is it 5% or 10%?

2, Whats the typical lead time for delivery of a factory order?

3. Can I negotiate the price at all?

4. Am I better off buying a near new one off the floor that might be a good match for my requirements should that exist? If so, what can I can expect by way of negotiating on the price?

Many thanks all.

Hey Tony,

1. Brand New Factory Order on a 911 992 Carrera or Carrera S expect around a minimum $10k deposit ..

2. current leadtime on a Brand New Factory order 911 992 Carrera or Carrera S MY21 expect 6 months under current circumstances Stuttgart plant production has been delayed and delivery delays have been experienced throughout 2020.

3. you can always try to negotiate, however it may greatly depend on what specifications you add to your build.. as Jason highlighted there is shortages in supply as a result of delays and demand has been relatively strong for the 911 992 so you may find a level of firmness in negotiations.

4. That greatly depends on you and your requirements, ie colour, specification, 1st owner or 2nd owner , when you want it by date, price for 911 992 MY21 has increased compared to MY20, negotiation will depend on dealer, stock shortages, market demand etc. stock is selling rather well there is some view that there maybe a shortage in factory new stock allocation to Australia for 2021 due to other larger markets being effected in 2020 and missing out.

All the best with the new 911 992 purchase 👍its an awesome car 

I have just ordered two cars from PCM. Both required a $5K deposit. No discount on either car...but, to be honest, I didn't bother to ask.

Lead time depends on whether the dealer has an available build slot or not. Dealers just cannot toss another order to the factory without having an open build slot. Configurations typically close around 6 weeks prior to build and then around 10 weeks to get it OZ and registered. So the earliest you could expect a car (assuming the dealer has an open slot) is around 16 weeks after order.

5-10 deposit. 

Stock availability is a huge issue for dealers with more demand than supply so rather than try for a discount, hit them up for some goodies to slip into the boot as dealers are looking getting full gross on cars.

As WGA says, a build slot is the trick and I’ve seen dealers the dealers I work for have to manage some huge delays on delivery of Porsche’s in the current environment.

If you find a demo that’s close, you’ll get it faster but also unlikely to get much off.  Again, demand and supply.  Dealer demo’s are put together by the dealers and generally reflect what they know will sell so the spec will always be pretty good.  

• 9 months later...

Just to update this thread based on my recent experience.

992  - nobody has any allocations till May / June next year. Apparently  Porsche yet to confirm allocations to any Aussie dealers. 

Dealers will still happy take deposits (5% typical). 

I was able to negotiate a little on price, but had a trade involved and previous long history with the dealer concerned. 

Could be worse - US dealers are asking premiums on MRRP. $50k US on a GT3 or Targa  is not unusual over there. 

5 hours ago, Oldknees said:

Could be worse - US dealers are asking premiums on MRRP. $50k US on a GT3 or Targa  is not unusual over there. 

That's because we here in Oz always pay premium.  USA with this $50K add on is still cheaper than own prices.