To wave or not to wave

maxy

Being a long time motorbike rider im used to fellow enthusiasts giving me the node or a friendly wave. Its the sign of an enthusiastic owner sharing the passion. I usually give an oncoming Porsche a little wave. Most owners return it bar those soccer mums in their big 4wd thingys and newer model car owners. I forgive them. They are probably just passing through on their way to a BMW or Mercedes or the next trendy thing.924/944 owners are particularly enthusiastic as are most impact model owners.

Today I was driving along on Port Stephens road when I caught up to a bright pink Gambella Porsche 928 monstrosity. You know the one. Huge wing, huger flares, massive wheels and did I mention it was bright Pink. To the untrained eye it could be mistaken for a Lambo or some other exotic. When I got next to him on the double lanes I pulled up level ready to give the thumbs up but he, and his woman, didn't even turn their heads to acknowledge the vintage 911 Porsche driving next to him. Twice I drew up level but not even a side ways glance. I was gob smacked. I would think owning an old car like that he would be a bit of a car nut. Maybe he was just too embarrassed to look at the far superior car travelling next to him.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem to depend on where you are?

If I happen to be in the city amongst plenty of newer model Porsche owners they rarely seem to notice. Down the coast, nice weather, weekend drive - anyone in a 'classic' gives you a wave or nod (even the odd biker!).

I tend to give anyone a wave or nod, sometimes even on the pushy I can't help but give a wave if something special passes by!

Maybe its a Newcastle thing. Some people around here think if you drive a Porsche you must be a rich wanker. Even some fellow classic Porsche drivers it seems. The road I was on is a tourist coast road. I usually spot a classic or two cruising along there. That reminds me, there's a 3.2 from Medowie I pass quite regularly. I always lift the finger for the Porker sauté but he has never responded. Maybe it's me?

Maybe get a large air horn? That may get a reaction! Maybe I should pay more attention to driving but I always notice other special cars on the road, or maybe you are right and its a porsche thing? Would be interesting to see if you we're in say a ford gt or something, I'm sure those owners wave?

Rarely get a wave in town, especially up in the north.

Was driving to Barwon Heads from Jan Juc a couple of weeks ago and pulled over to let my mate drive.

Very nice Red 944S gave his acknowledgement as he went by. Was great to see.

I drive a 993 and had a virtual twin drive up next to me in traffic. Stopped at lights, side by side, with me sticking my nose into his direction. Nothing. Not a blink. Not a wave. Not even a smile.

I had 2 mx5s years ago, and would always get fellow mx5 drivers waving.

I was really shocked, but will keep waving & flashing 993 and earlier. No point doing water cooled as they seem to be very different

Hope this does not offend waters???

I drive a 993 and had a virtual twin drive up next to me in traffic. Stopped at lights, side by side, with me sticking my nose into his direction. Nothing. Not a blink. Not a wave. Not even a smile.

I had 2 mx5s years ago, and would always get fellow mx5 drivers waving.

I was really shocked, but will keep waving & flashing 993 and earlier. No point doing water cooled as they seem to be very different

Hope this does not offend waters???

Thats it, l am very offended.

Not waving to you any more......... ha ha ha

I like the small, two fingured wave from the wheel or nod (and I'm a 'water'). First noticed it driving a mates MGB when I was a young fella and quite like the acknowledgment from fellow owners. Unfortunately, return waves are becoming very rare and you aften feel like a bit of a dill....

Maxy: "Maybe he was just too embarrassed to look at the far superior car travelling next to him."

He's not here to defend himself but I would say that's a big yes. Had a similar experience myself. Doesn't particularly bother me. Some people clearly don't feel the love.

Most of us 944 drivers give each other the wave, and we often pull over and compare notes lol

at a PCV meet I was talking to guy, he was very friendly and he asked me what I have, and I said an 86 Turbo, he was like oh very cool a 930, and when I said no it was a 952 he virtually ran away lol I'm still driving a Porsche turbo how ever you look at it :)

It's all cool. It's just like the bike community. I ride a Harley as well. It's my first after a string of Kwaka's , Ducati's and Aprilia's. I still got 2 BMW's. I give the node to any bike I pass. 1 percenters usually node back. Scooter riders over compensate and almost fall off when I give the nod, sometimes Jappers return the nod but those wanna be bikies that dress like 1 percenters but are just posers, they sick their heads up their arses and don't acknowledge anyone. That's life.

When I had my 356 I'd always wave and get a wave back, even a chat at the lights if the timing was right. Once we even pulled to the side of the road and spent a few hours talking.

Since owning the 993 though the habit was always to give fellow Porsche drivers a wave. To date haven't ever got one back.

Exception however was driving down Williams Rd going the opposite way to Roni a few Saturday's ago in his Cayenne and my faith was restored the wave was reciprocated.

Thank god for PFA.

The wave is back

Last week I spotted a 356 in the carpark at supercheap with the front lid up. I quickly did a u turn and pulled up next to him. I started with that oldy but a goody " you lost your engine mate " Had a good chat and went on my way. I was there to give him a hand if he needed it. Turns out he was on a road trip with his wife and kid and needed torch batteries.

When driving the BMW I don't wave at other BMW drivers (obviously) but I do appreciate it when other bm drivers let you out in traffic. They know what it's like to never get let out. I suppose porsche driving is much the same, with drivers more interested in slamming the door than being nice.

Waving is good....trouble is some people don't understand they're driving a special car...late last year I came up beside a similar car to mine, and we pulled over in beaconsfield (albeit in a bus stop) and chatted for half an hour.......

Yep a mates KTM RC8R. Awesome bike.

Funny I was just having this conversation with SteveF on the way up to Uncles today.

I'm a rider and nod to all bikes sans Harley's ( sorry I've in nearly 15 years riding experience had zero strike rate of Harley riders nodding back on my sports bike style ride) however more so, if there is ever a bike pulled over on the side of the road, we stop and ensure he / she is ok and check if they need a hand - regardless of style of bike.

I am reasonably confident 911 drivers would do the same. (?)

Ps in my SC I give the one bush wave when passing a fellow enthusiast.

Archived