Collecting Cars Australia

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

The text description raises more questions than it answers for me.

Nicko, I know nothing except what is shown in the photos. 

If I was interested in this car I would be posting some questions on the the page like:

• Why are you calling it a "Sport"?
  • Can you detail exactly what the rust damage was and how it was repaired?
  • Given the above and the country of it's delivery, can you post photos of the underside, wheel wheels and hubs/suspension components please?  (Or even better a copy of a PPI from a reputable provider to avoid answering ALL these questions!)
  • The photos show indirectly some paint defects.  While most look inconsequential, could you post additional clear photos of these defects for reassurance please?
  • Why were the wheel studs replaced?
  • Can you post a photo of the invoice for the gearbox work please?
  • What's with the horrible wad of filler between the engine lid panel and the internal frame? Why has the lid been repainted?
  • What was the engine leakdown results?
  • Why was the exhaust replaced?
  • Can you provide photos of the floors with the mats removed and the frunk area around the battery mount please?

If you don't get a response, I wouldn't lose sleep and may even think I've missed a bullet!

If you do get acceptable and plausible responses and the bids have topped out to not much more than they are now, it certainly presents OK and would be worth considering. 

However, at the currently level of bidding plus the buyer's premium  and the likely need to spend a bit of cash on it straight away, even assuming the above questions check out OK, I wouldn't be thinking that this is the bargain of the year.     

Thanks Peter. I was more curious than anything. I personally would never buy a car without seeing it, especially without a PPI. I do not understand why a seller (when selling through an online auction) would not obtain a PPI and include it with the information on the website. Surely the cost of a PPI would be recouped through a better sale price regardless of what it said - at least it provides potential buyers with a much higher level of certainty. 

1 hour ago, Nicko82 said:

Thanks Peter. I was more curious than anything. I personally would never buy a car without seeing it, especially without a PPI. I do not understand why a seller (when selling through an online auction) would not obtain a PPI and include it with the information on the website. Surely the cost of a PPI would be recouped through a better sale price regardless of what it said - at least it provides potential buyers with a much higher level of certainty. 

A PPI can go 1 of 2 ways ... it can help a sale, or help break it .. and with these older cars it’s usually the latter.

Most buyers will pick on the smallest thing to either walk away or try and negotiate a lower price, even though most of these cars will inevitably have “something” to whinge about ..

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

And PPI's don't always reveal hidden problems...as experienced very recently by a member here! 

Lee,

I completely agree.  However if you are trying to sell online, at this price range,  I think including a PPI, no matter how superficial, shows you are at least "backing" what you are selling.

Shannon's include a simple PPI of each vehicle on their auction site.  Some make very interesting reading!

12 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

If it makes decent fair market value, I will be listing my car with this service too.

Mike,

If it works out it would certainly be a convenient way of selling.

However I'm not convinced.  Surely the fact that the cars can't be viewed by anyone beforehand and Collecting Cars doesn't really have any skin in the game mean that prudent buyers would need to factor in a fair bit of risk?

Would be pleased to be proven wrong but can't see how they can provide greater returns for our 911's than say CTS or Autohaus. 

On 27/12/2020 at 20:06, Cam Arnott said:

Me three, I suspect I'll be giving Richmonds  the Gulf Blue 911 shortly as I can't be arsed with the clowns that come out of the woodwork from Carsales etc...

If we can help, we would love to be of service :)

Also, if anyone who said "I love selling" is interested in some part-time work, we (Summon) are about to start recruiting in Melb, Syd and Brisbane. The #1 criteria is you must love selling! We don't just sell Porsche's though, so you have to be happy to share the love.

DM me for details.

9 hours ago, Nicko82 said:

I do not understand why a seller (when selling through an online auction) would not obtain a PPI and include it with the information on the website

I think it has a lot to do with commitment and $$. Listing a car for sale on CC is free and requires little effort or commitment. Getting a PPI requires making a booking, taking the car to a workshop, paying $400 - $600 etc etc. It now becomes an easier and cheaper option to list on Carsales. 

As a result, I wonder how many listings on sites like this are fishing for a great price, but not motivated sellers?

4 hours ago, Nicko82 said:

Could you send me a link to this thread. Thanks.

No can do mate, sorry. Topic was hidden due to some posts going against forum guidelines

4 hours ago, Peter M said:

Lee,

I completely agree.  However if you are trying to sell online, at this price range,  I think including a PPI, no matter how superficial, shows you are at least "backing" what you are selling.

Shannon's include a simple PPI of each vehicle on their auction site.  Some make very interesting reading

True, though I'd never buy a car from an auction sight unseen by my eyes, unless there was a thorough inspection done. Even then I'd still be suss about it, as I've heard too many horror stories over the years with cars and bikes at auctions.

Shannons I'd probably trust to a point, buy Grays and Pickles? No chance

31 minutes ago, 901er said:

I’m going to give these guys a go. Currently prepping my 73’ Range Rover for photos this week 

Curious, will you be listing with a reserve, or no reserve?

From what I've observed, when there is a reserve, everyone hones in on it.. but when there isn't, they tend to sell really well.

29 minutes ago, luzzo said:

This is not the Rangie you spent lots of time $$ restoring, is it..? 

Yep that’s the one.

Long story short, it’s not a Porsche 

9 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Curious, will you be listing with a reserve, or no reserve?

From what I've observed, when there is a reserve, everyone hones in on it.. but when there isn't, they tend to sell really well.

I’m treading carefully, with a reserve. But I do agree with what your saying, I just don’t understand the Range Rover market well enough to run that risk 

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

I'm a believer now!

UK 3.2 now at $107k with an hour to go!  Buyer's total cost is nearly $114,000

NO RESERVE: 1986 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 3.2 SPORT (collectingcars.com)

Sold for $107k + 6% fee

Is that reasonable for a 3.2 UK car? not sure if an Aus delivery 3.2 is worth $100k more 

18 minutes ago, James P said:

Sold for $107k + 6% fee

Is that reasonable for a 3.2 UK car? not sure if an Aus delivery 3.2 is worth $100k more 

Agreed so more than happy to pocket the petrol / mechanical repairs / general maintenance money and get into a reasonable UK car. Especially one that will share daily drive duties amongst three other cars.

6 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

Agreed so more than happy to pocket the petrol / mechanical repairs / general maintenance money and get into a reasonable UK car. Especially one that will share daily drive duties amongst three other cars.

Arthur,  a friend up here in Bris has  a UK 3.2 he is considering selling.. coupe.. 

4 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Arthur,  a friend up here in Bris has  a UK 3.2 he is considering selling.. coupe.. 

Hey Mike 

Get him to send the details through. I am keen on a targa but have been looking at the coupe as well. Do you know year? is it post 87? Cannot promise anything yet I have only just started looking and need to warm myself into the idea of another car. Already have 5 whips but love the idea of going into an air cooled, miss the 993.

3 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

Hey Mike 

Get him to send the details through. I am keen on a targa but have been looking at the coupe as well. Do you know year? is it post 87? Cannot promise anything yet I have only just started looking and need to warm myself into the idea of another car. Already have 5 whips but love the idea of going into an air cooled, miss the 993.

ah ok.. it will likely be on grays or another site soon anyway.

Price point would be a lot less than that red one!

55 minutes ago, James P said:

Sold for $107k + 6% fee

Good question.  I don't know the 3.2 market well enough to have a view.  There have been some crazy asking prices for Aussie 3.2s lately, but "asking ain't gett'n".

The car looked like it was in excellent condition, some minor quibbles aside.  Was $107k full value, fair value or a bargain?  Experts?

2 hours ago, npvpositive said:

Why use Uber, Apple, Microsoft, eBay, airbnb, Google, Netflex, Spotify?

I only use Google on that list...I think 😁

3 hours ago, James P said:

I wonder if they have a dealers license here & pay tax here?

Someone here should set one up, maybe i should? 

Probably not

Yes you should 👍😁