996 vs Yaris GR4

Great work. I found the front vision really bad, especially taking left corners you have such a small portion of windscreen to see out of - it doesn’t make sense they produced it with the info screen so high. Best part of the car is ride and confidence over crappy roads. Slow speed grip, as example in roundabouts, with the Dunlop’s was quite average. I can see these being used effectively in some lower speed, tight (100kmh Ave) Targa stages with much better tyres. But, any higher speed stages simply not enough pace and likely not much within rules of Targa to get much more from the 1.6. Power was nothing special, a bit disappointing really, just eager (torque) in lower gears, partly because it is low geared, and running strong boost from down low. Gearbox and brakes excellent. Seats are too high, feel like your sitting on it not in it, but if they lowered, more vision (lack of) probably worse. I easily walked away from it being an option as next car, especially at the rrp they now want, and I wonder, what other manufacturers may have also developed something - not yet released- intended for WRC as it’s not a one make series !? What did I compare it to on the day? - a 2008 Polo GTI with stage 1 APR with 225,000kms. The GR did not at all make the Polo feel slow or old.

Looks like a fun car but image and price are major impediments.  They should have come up with a better name that screams Motorsport pedigree rather than pretend it’s a Yaris clone.  When so little of it is Yaris, why diminish its appeal and value by anchoring to their smallest and cheapest car.  No doubt the Japanese marketing boffins have it all figured out.

33 minutes ago, 356993??? said:

Great work. I found the front vision really bad, especially taking left corners you have such a small portion of windscreen to see out of - it doesn’t make sense they produced it with the info screen so high. Best part of the car is ride and confidence over crappy roads. Slow speed grip, as example in roundabouts, with the Dunlop’s was quite average. I can see these being used effectively in some lower speed, tight (100kmh Ave) Targa stages with much better tyres. But, any higher speed stages simply not enough pace and likely not much within rules of Targa to get much more from the 1.6. Power was nothing special, a bit disappointing really, just eager (torque) in lower gears, partly because it is low geared, and running strong boost from down low. Gearbox and brakes excellent. Seats are too high, feel like your sitting on it not in it, but if they lowered, more vision (lack of) probably worse. I easily walked away from it being an option as next car, especially at the rrp they now want, and I wonder, what other manufacturers may have also developed something - not yet released- intended for WRC as it’s not a one make series !? What did I compare it to on the day? - a 2008 Polo GTI with stage 1 APR with 225,000kms. The GR did not at all make the Polo feel slow or old.

I first thought the vision was hampered by the screen, but even with my short torso it would be no better without it as the bottom of the windscreen is so high anyway. The massive rear view mirror is much more of a problem. The seat is very high, but I think lowering it could just exacerbate the vision problem, at least for me. Tyres are definitely crap, but that is easily changed. 

Not where my money would go, but it is a lot of fun and it is cool that they are making a fun car again. I would definitely pick this over a WRX or similar.