Sign in to follow this  
michel

Refinishing Boxster Red Seats - Leatherique

Noting much to see , yet, though aiming to bring the nicely worn in Boxster seats back to  brightness over the next 2 weeks.

001(1).MOV

postman just dropped off these. 

001(12).HEIC

dye looks hyper vibrant, though is meant to be an accurate colour match. 

considering also to re dye the carpet. As the salmon brasserie pink , doesn’t  seem quite right 

Looking forward to seeing your results ,,,I have read and watched you tube video showing great things with the leatherique products .

I swear by the cleaner and conditioner products on good leather ..

But Will be interested to see if you can get the same results as you tube videos, will the state of those seats .......good luck with it :Beer:

It’ll be interesting to see the end results and how easy it is to do

2 hours ago, michel said:

Noting much to see , yet, though aiming to bring the nicely worn in Boxster seats back to  brightness over the next 2 weeks.

001(1).MOV

postman just dropped off these. 

001(12).HEIC

dye looks hyper vibrant, though is meant to be an accurate colour match. 

considering also to re dye the carpet. As the salmon brasserie pink , doesn’t  seem quite right 

I have actually been looking at using that stuff on the 996. How did you get the colour matched? 

58 minutes ago, MFX said:

I have actually been looking at using that stuff on the 996. How did you get the colour matched? 

They have std OEM colours for Porsche , BMW, Merc.

if not on the list, you send them a small section of upholstery , say from under the seat and they colour match 

53 minutes ago, 99TS3 said:

Do you know what red the interior is?

97 Boxster = Boxster Red.

Besides, there’s a colour code you can use or, if you have no idea and/or concerned, you  send in a sample of upholstery.

Like a paint company,  they will colour match.

Worn seats look rubbish but those are so worn I actually think it’s a shame to restore them. They shout street cred and actually have a lovely PATINA.

22 minutes ago, 550Spyder said:

Worn seats look rubbish but those are so worn I actually think it’s a shame to restore them. They shout street cred and actually have a lovely PATINA.

Thank you sir , I’m a believer in your thoughts .. just  not liking the colour fade . And been wanting to try a seat refurb 

Making a start

located  some skins and a seat from a Boxster with less than 10,000kms. 

Absolutely mucky and dry.

First step is to use the the Rejuvenator Oil.

Liberally applied and likely needing more than one application.

In between applications,put in a plastic bag and leave in the sun and or warm with hair dryer to sweat. 

According to instructions, leather pores will open and dirt grime will sweat out. 

once this step completed then use Pristine Clean.

I’ll also  be doing the full 4 step treatment on the original seats. 

001(23).HEIC

001(21).HEIC

001(24).jpg

001(20).jpg

001(23).jpg

001(21).jpg

001(122).HEIC

Seat base heavily sanded to try and clean the water staining. instructions and approaches varied with some saying hardly sand , though always use the supplied prepping agent or general thinners to wash out the orig  dye.

001(121).HEIC

first light coat

001(120).HEIC

001(119).HEIC

If the above arched piece (inserts) cannot be refinished to appropriate std. will upholster in a fine red/blk houndstooth.

001(2).WEBP

2 hours ago, firstone said:

Gunna take more than one handbag. 😉

Ha! I’m on DEPOP as we speak .. must be a last season trench I can cut up 

001(132).HEIC

001(129).HEIC

second coat, looks glossy,  that’s only because it’s freshly applied, hasn’t dried off

Compared to how they were - these have come up a treat!

You'll be happy with leatherique. I used the dab with sponge method and it held together quite well. Mind you it did feel strange waxing the seats, but hey...instructions are instructions ;) 

Waxing the seats? I’ve not found those instructions. ?

im also dabbing/blotting  the product particularly where the heavier staining is present and  that I was unable to or, decided to not sand out 

all an experiment , though will keep building up the colour depth to see how much I can get a flat, colour consistent surface 

just applied 3 coat 

though beginning  to think they mixed an early 996 red 🤔🤔🤔🤔

however surface colour is becoming solid   with the discolouration and patchiness from sanding evening out 

001(140).HEIC

001(138).HEIC

That looks really good michel - another couple of coats and I think the staining will be virtually invisible.

Once the leather is stretched over the cushion & its mounted on the seats, I'll bet you will not be able to see it. Well Done.

They have come up a treat to what you started with👏

This is great. What was the cost of the kit, and how many hours invested to date?