My Vesuvio Metallic Cab

withers

Firstly a huge thank you to those of you that have given me advice in the last few weeks. Buying my dream car has been exciting and disappointing all in one. 

Yes the PPI I had done missed a very large issue  - the car has a 2nd gear pop out problem. It has now been diagnosed and test driven by a local Indy mechanic and seems it will require a gearbox rebuild for 2nd gear - let’s hope that’s all it is.  

Each post I’ve made on this has had to be moderated or deleted so far. PLEASE NOBODY ASK ABOUT THE SHOP OR MENTION IT HERE that did it.  I want to put this behind me and move forward no not end up in some legal dispute. 

I want to share the journey in fixing up all the bits and pieces that need doing and not focus on the negatives!

Here’s my Porsche!

I have contacted PCA to find out how rare this color is,C7474978-A366-44D2-9708-2366DF606FE6.thumb.jpeg.a27ff2de089ded7c4a9d45e769b6d7fb.jpeg1A1F6B3E-A29D-4240-94B9-DCC6FC6DBA81.thumb.jpeg.13f2cdf53e623f412be3b40d858393df.jpegE5A27D66-8D7D-4EFB-B551-13CE6C68E97E.thumb.png.0901c3c7ac89317a3ae0b5cdcf6f85a6.png  its stunning and I love it

That really is a stunning colour .. wouldn't be too many of them around!

Regarding your gearbox issue .. once you are driving around with the top off and the wind in your hair, you'll forget all about the issue and the cost to fix it ..

Enjoy the ownership experience .. even though it may be painful sometimes . 😀

Didn't immediately pick up the change in user name Amanda, all I saw was Withers with 4000 odd posts, and I was thinking, can't remember this person at all 😁

Glad all is reasonably OK, just get in and drive the car for the time being, who knows the 2nd gear may not prove to be as bad an issue as it first seems....

cheers  Peter

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Didn't immediately pick up the change in user name Amanda, all I saw was Withers with 4000 odd posts, and I was thinking, can't remember this person at all 😁

Glad all is reasonably OK, just get in and drive the car for the time being, who knows the 2nd gear may not prove to be as bad an issue as it first seems....

cheers  Peter

Yeh that’s the plan for now Peter

——————————————

Onwards and upwards!

I have 2 P Zeros for the rear on order (to match the front ones). 

Next week RWC and registration to be done  

Then:

AOS (guessing I should add this to the Gearbox job due to access, does anyone know? Forgot to ask today) 

Bump stops

Front discs (already has newish brake pads)

Rear discs and pads 

Need a new key as the original is dead

And the GB rebuild!

For after all mechanical stuff is done onto some cosmetic stuff like:

Vanity mirrors are broken in both sunvisors

centre console broken

2 dents that require paintless dent removal 

Clean up seats and redye the bolsters

Stereo is terrible can’t see the screen in most daylight conditions 

And I’m sure there’s more I’ve forgotten  

You’re going to love that car Amanda, the 996 is truly a great car and exceptional value for money, it does everything really well, congrats.

I’m disappointed to hear your previous posts have been edited or even deleted.  When forking out cash for a car, it’s often one of our biggest expenditures outside of a home and we are happy to pay good money for a professional evaluation, especially if the car is Interstate and we can’t physically see it.  If a professional has missed an obvious issue ( I don’t really know how obvious or regular your 2nd gear issue is), it does make you question the quality of work conducted.  Google reviews give a pretty good open platform picture of how some businesses drop the ball on customer service so why not have feedback on PFA?

I have also had a very obvious issue missed on PPI from a Syd based professional that most on here would say is the best in the State.  I actually mentioned I wanted an oil leak checked and told it wasn’t major which it obviously was and cost several thousand to fix.  That pain is long gone and I’ve never regretted the purchase which I’m sure will be the case in your instance, welcome back to P car ownership.

50 minutes ago, Stepo said:

You’re going to love that car Amanda, the 996 is truly a great car and exceptional value for money, it does everything really well, congrats.

I’m disappointed to hear your previous posts have been edited or even deleted.  When forking out cash for a car, it’s often one of our biggest expenditures outside of a home and we are happy to pay good money for a professional evaluation, especially if the car is Interstate and we can’t physically see it.  If a professional has missed an obvious issue ( I don’t really know how obvious or regular your 2nd gear issue is), it does make you question the quality of work conducted.  Google reviews give a pretty good open platform picture of how some businesses drop the ball on customer service so why not have feedback on PFA?

I have also had a very obvious issue missed on PPI from a Syd based professional that most on here would say is the best in the State.  I actually mentioned I wanted an oil leak checked and told it wasn’t major which it obviously was and cost several thousand to fix.  That pain is long gone and I’ve never regretted the purchase which I’m sure will be the case in your instance, welcome back to P car ownership.

Cheers

Well if you coast in 2nd gear it will pop out pretty much every time. I’d you give it some stick and have your foot on the go pedal it might stay  in gear most of the time.  Fact is, it wasn’t test driven properly and I’d say only driven on the local road near the place that did it. 

I always think you don’t know how good customer service is until you have an issue. Only then so you see just how customer service orientated the provider actually is. 

I will ask my Mechanic next week if the gbox detent is worth trying to buy some time  

http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

53 minutes ago, withers said:

Need a new key as the original is dead

And the GB rebuild!

For after all mechanical stuff is done onto some cosmetic stuff like:

Vanity mirrors are broken in both sunvisors

centre console broken

Congrats Amanda, agree with others the pain will be fleeting and joy of ownership will last for ever.

to me there is always going to be maintenance on a pretty original 22 yo car. I have a list on mine that is pretty much the same as far as cosmetic stuff. Do some sourcing research as I am picking up items both locally and US as dollar is reasonable right now and even with freight it’s a worthwhile saving. Ordered a bunch of stuff today. Those vanity mirrors like other plastic trim bits are bloody expensive. Im just going to live with mine. Following your journey with interest.

Sorry to hear about the gearbox problems Amanda, that’s very disappointing and hopefully not too expensive. One plus with the gearbox out is it straightforward changing the AOS. I did my 996 convertible with engine and box in. Doable but takes ages and a real pain in the arse. Also while in there see if you need a clutch. Cool looking car though!

9 hours ago, Tips said:

Congrats Amanda, agree with others the pain will be fleeting and joy of ownership will last for ever.

to me there is always going to be maintenance on a pretty original 22 yo car. I have a list on mine that is pretty much the same as far as cosmetic stuff. Do some sourcing research as I am picking up items both locally and US as dollar is reasonable right now and even with freight it’s a worthwhile saving. Ordered a bunch of stuff today. Those vanity mirrors like other plastic trim bits are bloody expensive. Im just going to live with mine. Following your journey with interest.

The maintenance stuff isn’t a big deal. The surprise gearbox was! Anyhoo - shit happens!

the centre console lid is the most annoying one right now! Did you have to get one too?

50 minutes ago, sjm said:

Sorry to hear about the gearbox problems Amanda, that’s very disappointing and hopefully not too expensive. One plus with the gearbox out is it straightforward changing the AOS. I did my 996 convertible with engine and box in. Doable but takes ages and a real pain in the arse. Also while in there see if you need a clutch. Cool looking car though!

I thought that might be the case - re AOS. I e heard it’s hard to get too.  Clutch doesn’t have many km on it and was done in 2012 as per receipts. 

I dabble in some mountain biking and recently sold my bike - looks like I’ll be sacrificing 1 toy for another! 

1 hour ago, withers said:

the centre console lid is the most annoying one right now! Did you have to get one too?

It’s an $ 250  replacement from Porsche for a new one. Repair kit is $100 from Porsche and it’s $50 from sun coast parts I n US and freight only makes sense with other stuff. I also ordered a key fob as they are $400 from Porsche in AU

Such a great looking example, and I love that colour... even the most fastidiously maintained cars will need $$ thrown at them when they have circa 2 decades on the board, life is full of unexpected surprises (i.e. kids 😂) the gearbox debacle will pail in comparison to smiles per mile once you're enjoying it Amanda! 😎

5 hours ago, Tips said:

It’s an $ 250  replacement from Porsche for a new one. Repair kit is $100 from Porsche and it’s $50 from sun coast parts I n US and freight only makes sense with other stuff. I also ordered a key fob as they are $400 from Porsche in AU

I need a key fob too!

I am having PCM do mine tomorrow 

11 minutes ago, withers said:

I need a key fob too!

I purchased a fob from PCB at $350, they wanted $180 to do the programming, local mechanic did it for $120.  I wanted them to also add the auto lock function but he couldn't get his machine to do it.

I went back to PCB for the autolock and they did it for me at no charge, very good service, highly recomended 👍

2 hours ago, Stepo said:

I purchased a fob from PCB at $350, they wanted $180 to do the programming, local mechanic did it for $120.  I wanted them to also add the auto lock function but he couldn't get his machine to do it.

I went back to PCB for the autolock and they did it for me at no charge, very good service, highly recomended 👍

Good to hear they did that! 

So I got a reply from PCA

They no longer have access to the database that provides historical data so they prividdd a guesstimate. 

Less than 10 Vesuvio Metallic 996s where brought into Australia.

More pics, first time I saw her....

B6FB6A1A-D342-4273-B5AB-0A71BEE56268.thumb.jpeg.7b1ce2e71e4ff56a5391aad2f8dc11d6.jpeg70DA68C3-BE48-412B-A8A3-1F85BF990F2B.thumb.jpeg.b8540e4bc29500aab7dd427defda9a8c.jpeg

And first comfort stop on the way home...

Whilst here I had a chat to a lovely gent who was waiting for his 15th Porsche to arrive, a 992 C4S I think he said  he was getting  - already the car was starting chats with strangers 😊 

10DF162A-5126-4B45-9B63-B8A7420B0FBC.thumb.jpeg.d49c916708f9b1362eb34d1e3e18675b.jpeg

BE574282-9794-42B6-9788-F347A1D68A23.jpeg

The COVID outbreak was big news  so thought this 2017 parking sticker was amusing  on my car

C9EF1A00-D4C3-4E0A-B075-FB6760BF95F4.jpeg

Lovely car Amanda with a great and less common colour. I assume the gearbox mounts and engine mounts are in good condition? My local Indy did my 2 new keys and the associated programming. There is a limit to the number of keys that can be programmed into the module but you should be fine.  A car similar to yours was recently for sale here at the Sunshine Coast.

3 hours ago, Merv said:

Lovely car Amanda with a great and less common colour. I assume the gearbox mounts and engine mounts are in good condition? My local Indy did my 2 new keys and the associated programming. There is a limit to the number of keys that can be programmed into the module but you should be fine.  A car similar to yours was recently for sale here at the Sunshine Coast.

Thanks Merv.   Its had a new transmission mount fitted and hopefully the engine mounts are ok?  I'll soon find out once it's up on a hoist. After my PPI expereince I am not confident of much :)

Good to know re the key.  I'm just going to get one programmed up and have a spare dead key.  Given that you need to keep both keys in rotation to ensure the codes are up to date - dont see the point of worrying about having 2.  Just need 'the' key and an emergency one!

Is that a lifetime of car thing re the limited amount of keys that can be programmed?  Geez you'd hope there was no absent minded key loser prior owners then!  

No, I understand there are 4 remote code entries in the computer, and that old ones can be removed when new keys are coded.  When I got 2 new keys earlier this year, the dealer coded in the new keys but in doing so also seems to have coded out the immobiliser component of the 2 old keys.  Doesn't worry me too much, I have 2 fully working keys/remotes and a couple that will open the door and turn the ignition but not start it.  As I understand it though, those two could have been retained as working spares with no remote capability.

Might be useful to leave the old ones in the key bowl in case some thief finds them.  Make them obvious but hide the working spare.  Douchebag finds key that opens the door and turns the lock but doesn't start the car, goes looking for hidden immobiliser switch... doesn't find it and hopefully steals the BM instead!  :D

47 minutes ago, st3ve said:

No, I understand there are 4 remote code entries in the computer, and that old ones can be removed when new keys are coded.  When I got 2 new keys earlier this year, the dealer coded in the new keys but in doing so also seems to have coded out the immobiliser component of the 2 old keys.  Doesn't worry me too much, I have 2 fully working keys/remotes and a couple that will open the door and turn the ignition but not start it.  As I understand it though, those two could have been retained as working spares with no remote capability.

Might be useful to leave the old ones in the key bowl in case some thief finds them.  Make them obvious but hide the working spare.  Douchebag finds key that opens the door and turns the lock but doesn't start the car, goes looking for hidden immobiliser switch... doesn't find it and hopefully steals the BM instead!  :D

ah cool good to know!

Yes my next door neighbor had his house broken into, only thing they took was his Mazda wagon!

In my garage if they couldnt start the P car they'd be taking my Specialized Levo instead :P  ie an ebike!

Steve is correct.  Only 4 keys can be coded in at any time and if there have been a few lost 'connections'/'sleeping keys' along the way and over time various unsuccessful attempts at re-coding them or other keys into the CL module, it won't play ball anymore.  It can be a relief to have one working key!  On the UK 996 Forum there was an interesting report about key operation.  If you have two keys that work - use them both in some rotation.

If you have one fully functional key+remote, and a working spare key/immobiliser, then I'd concur with others suggesting to not bother fixing the latter unless you need (and will have) BOTH keys in regular use. 

The remotes are designed to disable themselves and become essentially irretrievable if one is not used for a period of time (I understand 1024 button presses). If you drive to work, and hit the shops even once on the way home, that's 6 button presses - 6 months of that and the 2nd remote becomes useless. Even when aware of it, it's easy enough to let it slip long enough to be caught out by this. 

I have one key which was in daily use for 10 years and was knocked around, but the other sat in a locked safe for 10 years and was mint. Both keys still unlock and start my car, but the dealer claimed neither remote could be re-coded to the car. I was originally going to get two new remotes but I'm now leaning toward just getting a single new remote since the 2nd key will be used so infrequently that I'm sure it will become excommunicated.

On 08/01/2021 at 16:37, Merv said:

Steve is correct.  Only 4 keys can be coded in at any time and if there have been a few lost 'connections'/'sleeping keys' along the way and over time various unsuccessful attempts at re-coding them or other keys into the CL module, it won't play ball anymore.  It can be a relief to have one working key!  On the UK 996 Forum there was an interesting report about key operation.  If you have two keys that work - use them both in some rotation.

If you have one fully functional key+remote, and a working spare key/immobiliser, then I'd concur with others suggesting to not bother fixing the latter unless you need (and will have) BOTH keys in regular use. 

The remotes are designed to disable themselves and become essentially irretrievable if one is not used for a period of time (I understand 1024 button presses). If you drive to work, and hit the shops even once on the way home, that's 6 button presses - 6 months of that and the 2nd remote becomes useless. Even when aware of it, it's easy enough to let it slip long enough to be caught out by this. 

I have one key which was in daily use for 10 years and was knocked around, but the other sat in a locked safe for 10 years and was mint. Both keys still unlock and start my car, but the dealer claimed neither remote could be re-coded to the car. I was originally going to get two new remotes but I'm now leaning toward just getting a single new remote since the 2nd key will be used so infrequently that I'm sure it will become excommunicated.

The key I have lights up when you press the button. New battery made no difference. I wonder if it’s just lost connection to the car from not being used?

also when I lock the car with the key, the horn let’s off one beep - google search shows there’s sometung not closing properly. At a guess might be the Centre console. It’s broken ( I knew that from ppi ) 

another thing PPI missed - horn doesn’t work. Another RWC item I need to work. 

2 hours ago, withers said:

The key I have lights up when you press the button. New battery made no difference. I wonder if it’s just lost connection to the car from not being used?

also when I lock the car with the key, the horn let’s off one beep - google search shows there’s sometung not closing properly. At a guess might be the Centre console. It’s broken ( I knew that from ppi ) 

another thing PPI missed - horn doesn’t work. Another RWC item I need to work. 

I had same issue with second key - battery swap no. Lights up and didn’t trigger. Was not synced. Local P dealer fixed or for free . But not before the experienced technician looked at it and said “order a new key..’  I suggested they could try and re code . They did and it worked .. and now it doesn’t , again. 

Wouldn’t of thought centre console would create the warning toot - doors , windows?, trunk and engine lid -yes . But that said a 996 still very much a mystery  to me 

no horn 🙄 minor,  but given history annoying. Easy fix however 

23 minutes ago, michel said:

I had same issue with second key - battery swap no. Lights up and didn’t trigger. Was not synced. Local P dealer fixed or for free . But not before the experienced technician looked at it and said “order a new key..’  I suggested they could try and re code . They did and it worked .. and now it doesn’t , again. 

Wouldn’t of thought centre console would create the warning toot - doors , windows?, trunk and engine lid -yes . But that said a 996 still very much a mystery  to me 

no horn 🙄 minor,  but given history annoying. Easy fix however 

Even the petrol lid has a sensor apparently. On the UK forum someone mentioned the Centre console also has a sensor it it. 

Horn - wouldn’t be so bad if I could fix it myself. But I’m all thumbs. If only it was like the Matrix and I could download such skills!  😁