1976 911 ?original rear spoiler

911virgin

Possibly a 2.7 could be optioned with a tail ... 

as for c3.0 tails 3 major variants 

heavy blk PU

Glass tail without secondary grille 

glass tail with small secondary grille - for A/con??

another tail similar used on the 3.0 turbos had a larger secondary grill 

Note: the above may not be accurate

if that’s a good condition original c3.0 tail worth probably 4K standalone 

She sure is purdy 

my understanding is that the big vent tail came off the turbos and the c3.o cars came with no-vent tails. I don’t think you could add them as an option to 2.7 cars.  But anything could have happended at the dealer in the 70s.  You’d have to see original build docs to know for sure.  The Weissach SCs which were a us market special edition where the last cars to get that style tail (no second grill) in 1980.

Either way it is period correct and cool.

I have never been a fan of the large, heavy 'tails' on 911's, except on the Turbos which needed the extra oil and air cooling and could afford the weight penalty (at the wrong end of the car). When I first got my '88 G series 911, I was inundated with suggestions that I should put a 'tail on it (it never had that option fitted).  I am so glad that I didn't as I like the clean look that is reminiscent of the first of the 911 models. I know others have a different view and that the 'tail and even the wide-body effect is so much part of the '80's look which was emblematic of the 911 back then.

11 hours ago, Merv said:

I have never been a fan of the large, heavy 'tails' on 911's, except on the Turbos which needed the extra oil and air cooling and could afford the weight penalty (at the wrong end of the car). When I first got my '88 G series 911, I was inundated with suggestions that I should put a 'tail on it (it never had that option fitted).  I am so glad that I didn't as I like the clean look that is reminiscent of the first of the 911 models. I know others have a different view and that the 'tail and even the wide-body effect is so much part of the '80's look which was emblematic of the 911 back then.

I feel the same about duck tails.

When I was reinstalling the AC I had the lid and wing off and thought it looked good, even took it for a run around the block...just to clear the pipes of course, but AC was calling and the intercooler jutted out and and etc.

I like my tails so much you can call me sir mixalot.  I guess those 80s did a number on me.  As a kid those small bumpers and dinky chrome horn grills always looked old fashioned and not like big fat bumpers with cool accordions in the side.

The same went for the flat lids.  Not at all aggressive enough.

On 08/01/2021 at 12:33, 911virgin said:

how can you tell thats a 3.0?

not a 2.7?

sorry for being ignorant

pre-78 narrow body were 2.7L,  Carrera 3.0 and later SC with wider rear qtr panels were 3.0L.  also  green engine cover is 2.7, red for 3.0  

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...