WTB - 996.2 C4S

GregM

Hi all

Was a 99% of the way through buying my first Porsche (996.2 C2 Cab) but the deal crapped its pants at the PPI so I've had to walk away.

Because I'm now hooked on the idea of owning one, I thought I'd ask whether there are any off-market opportunities out there/coming up for a 996.2 C4S?  Have been on Carsales but that stock seems to be a bit stale/expensive from what I've read here.  Wants are as follows:

* Manual

* Under 100Ks

* very good condition

* AU delivered (or *very* attractively priced import)

* Will need to be able to pass a PPI (including compressison & leak down tests) without any significant issues to address

Coupe or cab are both fine and as I'm based in Sydney, would be great if the car was local.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has, or knows of someone who has a car that meets the above criteria.

Thanks!

Greg

Welcome Greg ..

You have picked a hell of a car to look for. There are a few members known (and probably unknown) that are looking for a C4S .. they have been a hot commodity for the past 6 months.

There are no Coupes on the market at the moment ... apart from the Seal Grey one that has been for sale for over 6 months. Us C4S owners are hanging on to them.

Just as a heads up .. there are buyers that number 10 - 1 that would buy a C4S Coupe not only sight unseen, but also without a PPI .. you will probably have to be prepared to buy under these circumstances unless you find one off market, then the terms might be a bit flexible .. or choose another model. A member on here bought one from Porsche Parramatta about 3 months ago and they could have sold it 7 times over.

Good luck in your search ... 😀

7 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Just as a heads up .. there are buyers that number 10 - 1 that would buy a C4S Coupe not only sight unseen, but also without a PPI .. you will probably have to be prepared to buy under these circumstances unless you find one off market, then the terms might be a bit flexible .. or choose another model. A member on here bought one from Porsche Parramatta about 3 months ago and they could have sold it 7 time over.

You can thank me later.

@GregM great choice, good buying at whatever you will have to pay. Don’t allow a few $k stop you.  They’re on the way up.

2 hours ago, rminc said:

That pewter one's been for sale for ages now. What's it actually worth. He obviously asking too much? 

Think high eights / early nines - Great colour ( mine was black but would've have preferred the grey )

Sold mine for around $83000 a couple of years ago albeit with less kms so think anything in the above range suggested is good buying - GregM should consider it

2 hours ago, FAP911 said:

Think high eights / early nines - Great colour ( mine was black but would've have preferred the grey )

Sold mine for around $83000 a couple of years ago albeit with less kms so think anything in the above range suggested is good buying - GregM should consider it

Interestingly car was reduced to $94500 earlier - No affliation but maybe owner is on this forum 

No accidents etc seems a no brainer

4 hours ago, FAP911 said:

I reckon you’d be on the money with highish eights ... It’s funny how people see things differently .. I much prefer the black to the grey.

I think the biggest issue with this car is that it’s gone stale and on the outer with all of the price hikes and changes.

It was on the market well before I bought mine 5 months ago. I’ve watched it fluctuate between $89k & $99k. The only thing I keep asking myself is “what’s wrong with it” that it hasn’t sold.

Has anyone actually checked it out in person??

51 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I reckon you’d be on the money with highish eights ... It’s funny how people see things differently .. I much prefer the black to the grey.

I think the biggest issue with this car is that it’s gone stale and on the outer with all of the price hikes and changes.

It was on the market well before I bought mine 5 months ago. I’ve watched it fluctuate between $89k & $99k. The only thing I keep asking myself is “what’s wrong with it” that it hasn’t sold.

I'm in Melbourne so no haven't seen the car but would if I were to get another!

Mine was Basalt Black and yes no doubt looked great but seem to be a static blanket for dust lol . Colour aside still the hidden gem in the 911 range ( and aircon that works ) 

11 hours ago, Dreamr said:

^there’s an idea!

Gotta be mid to high $80’s in today’s starved market, maybe $90 if it checks out.  I think if the vendor is approached respectfully, asked if he’s sick of the process and the low ballers 😂 might come around to a proper offer.  Best to be standing face to face.  Sympathetic purchase approach 101.🤓

11 minutes ago, KGB said:

^there’s an idea!

Gotta be mid to high $80’s in today’s starved market, maybe $90 if it checks out.  I think if the vendor is approached respectfully, asked if he’s sick of the process and the low ballers 😂 might come around to a proper offer.  Best to be standing face to face.  Sympathetic purchase approach 101.🤓

You're Spot on.  But I do think his approach is an example of shooting yourself in the foot... If you're pragmatic, do the market research (seek advice from the both the illuminati and the peanut gallery) and then set a market appropriate price, you'll get interested people and genuine buyers calling.  Fart-arsing with the price like he has makes prospective buyers gun-shy.

2 hours ago, Fishcop said:

You're Spot on.  But I do think his approach is an example of shooting yourself in the foot... If you're pragmatic, do the market research (seek advice from the both the illuminati and the peanut gallery) and then set a market appropriate price, you'll get interested people and genuine buyers calling.  Fart-arsing with the price like he has makes prospective buyers gun-shy.

He’s got what you want.  Listen, smile then present your position logically and calmly.  Doesn’t matter how you all got there!

If the car checks out it’ll be a great story to tell.

14 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I much prefer the black to the grey.

Purchase defence syndrome.🤪

27 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

You wanted a black one, didn't you! :cool07:

And I quote;

”Hi Guys, 

Long time no banter.

Thinking about a 996 C4S, anyone thinking of selling or know of a good one under a blankly?

Tiptronic ok (yeah, yeah, I know) manual too.  Maybe not black. Not frightened to look at good low km’s car and deal with ridiculous asking price 🤑.

Prefer nice car with a good history at a fair price all round for a super easy transaction. Dreaming, but if you don’t ask....

How good do they look in Lapis, Polar, Seal or Weiss!”

3 hours ago, KGB said:

And I quote;

”Hi Guys, 

Long time no banter.

Thinking about a 996 C4S, anyone thinking of selling or know of a good one under a blankly?

Tiptronic ok (yeah, yeah, I know) manual too.  Maybe not black. Not frightened to look at good low km’s car and deal with ridiculous asking price 🤑.

Prefer nice car with a good history at a fair price all round for a super easy transaction. Dreaming, but if you don’t ask....

How good do they look in Lapis, Polar, Seal or Weiss!”

Yeah, yeah ...

Let me tell ya .. once you go black, you'll never go back!! .. :ph34r:

Hi Greg, 

I tell you what you're dead right. I too am beginning my search for the same model although with these prices I do question whether they're actually appreciating or whether the market is dry. I have been watching other several models too and I do think it's just due to the extra cash people have due to covid (same goes with house prices). You could almost get a 997 Series 2 for a little more and they're definitely a rare species.

Good luck with the search and I definitely will be watching how you get on. 

M

Thanks all for the responses.  Like mystro has stated, the pricing of the current stock is not far off similar 997s so these are strange times indeed.  Anyway, I'll keep looking.  I'm in no rush but am hoping that someone with a decent example will be prepared to 'meet the market' at some point.