DME Relay Solid State

Merv

4 hours ago, Merv said:

My '88 Carrera 911 has its original DME relay.  I suspect it is playing up randomly.  I see that there are now solid state versions available.  Are they available in Australia?

I haven't heard of any Australian distributors but you can order directly from Focus 9. I ordered one for my old 944 S2 a while back and it arrived quickly and performed well (the pump prime feature helped too).

https://www.ftech9.com/new-products?category=SSR+(Solid-State+Relays)

Thanks I saw those.  I am these days most reluctant to buy anything from the US but our exchange rate has improved and it is a small item. I will drop them a line and confirm which model I need.  

Is the pump prime function needed on the 911 3.2 87-88?

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Thanks I saw those.  I am these days most reluctant to buy anything from the US but our exchange rate has improved and it is a small item. I will drop them a line and confirm which model I need.  

Is the pump prime function needed on the 911 3.2 87-88?

They have the flat pins - My 84 has round pins and Focus 9 have no listing for our G series cars

I had a relay go on my BMW (was intermittently working). I opened it up and saw that a crack had developed in the solder right around a pin that went through the circuit board so as it moved around, sometimes the circuit would work and sometimes it wouldn't. It was an easy fix just to apply a soldering iron to the cracked solder and repair the crack. Worth having a look inside before you buy another one.

1 hour ago, FAP911 said:

They have the flat pins - My 84 has round pins and Focus 9 have no listing for our G series cars

Interesting.  I have written to them to check that very point. Let's see what they say. The cracking solder joints could be a heat related problem as I have noticed that the original DME's get rather hot at times. A friend has drilled small holes in his DME case to provide some venting and found that useful. How much are new DME's from Porsche? It is useful to have a spare in the trunk I figure.

• 4 weeks later...