Your 996 - how modded is modded?

michel

3 hours ago, JWM said:

Caveat Emptor!

Personally all of the headlight covers, tinted or otherwise just look terrible, but I actually don't mind the 935 slant nose thing. As @LeeM said, as a track car it actually looks OK, but you would need to go all in with a big 935 style wing as well.

On 22/01/2021 at 09:49, michel said:

Yes Richard’s car is quite the delight. Intended as the Mule for testing prototyping products, for Ltd production. Exactly the kind of car I’m sure we would all enjoy only if Porsche had  made a ‘996R ‘

The car is currently at live auction, with six days to run at £32,500

Shame in Australia despite the cars and coffee skiting cred as you leaned on the carbon autoclaved roof , I couldn’t imagine anyone because of entry cost and originality worries building a type of car to this extent in  OZ

Where’s all the wide boy 996 oz mod crew

I've been looking at replacement carbon roof panels for the last few weeks for the 996. Not for C&C cred, but to remove the sunroof which will cost more than a new roof panel to have working properly. Found a few options and apparently they say removed 20+kgs from the top of the car. To fix the sunroof properly now is more than $2,000 just for the mechanicals.

42 minutes ago, 911CSR said:

I've been looking at replacement carbon roof panels for the last few weeks for the 996. Not for C&C cred, but to remove the sunroof which will cost more than a new roof panel to have working properly. Found a few options and apparently they say removed 20+kgs from the top of the car. To fix the sunroof properly now is more than $2,000 just for the mechanicals.

Is this just a replacement of the sunroof or the entire roof skin? 

1 hour ago, michel said:

Is this just a replacement of the sunroof or the entire roof skin? 

entire skin...so it means you need to remove front and rear glass, remove headliner etc., drill out spot welds, glue new skin in and reverse...

52 minutes ago, 911CSR said:

entire skin...so it means you need to remove front and rear glass, remove headliner etc., drill out spot welds, glue new skin in and reverse...

Yep , understand the not insubstantial   process and look forward to seeing the result - you’ll do the work ?  

2 hours ago, michel said:

Yep , understand the not insubstantial   process and look forward to seeing the result - you’ll do the work ?  

I will do some/most and get help with those bits that I feel a professional should do ;)

32 minutes ago, Merv said:

I wonder how much insurance liability is affected by modification?  Some changes could be major factors, both for the insurance of the car and third party and property damage in an accident. 

Shannons told me every modification must be noted, or your insurance is basically void

So far in 4 weeks of ownership of a very stock 98 966.1 cab

Gundo - still not sure if it will stay, wasnt the sound I was chasing but a cheap starting mod being changed to a fister hack

double din head unit with reverse camera/phone prep

relocated climate control swapped out CD storage for storage bin

18" turbo twists 

short shifter (was done by PO)

relocated spoiler button from kick panel/ fuse cover to centre console OEM switch

next on the list is suspension refresh, engine mounts, clutch/flywheel RMS oil separator and probably IMS but not rushing on this 

12 hours ago, withers said:

You would claim back some headroom too wouldn’t you with the sunroof gone?

Yep, not sure how much but the wonderwizardingworld of the internets says yes, but not all agree on how much... 

2 hours ago, Tips said:

So far in 4 weeks of ownership of a very stock 98 966.1 cab

Gundo - still not sure if it will stay, wasnt the sound I was chasing but a cheap starting mod easily reversed

double din head unit with reverse camera/phone prep

relocated climate control swapped out CD storage for storage bin

18" turbo twists 

relocated spoiler button from kick panel/ fuse cover to centre console OEM switch

next on the list is suspension refresh, engine mounts, clutch/flywheel RMS oil separator and probably IMS but not rushing on this 

If you swap out the gundo mufflers, I'd probably buy...

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Shannons told me every modification must be noted, or your insurance is basically void

So every modification (both noted and approved) could void the insurance of your car and open you to personal liability claims by others in an incident? Sobering thought.  

43 minutes ago, Merv said:

So every modification (both noted and approved) could void the insurance of your car and open you to personal liability claims by others in an incident? Sobering thought.  

You just need to tell them the modifications otherwise they won't pay out on them. Pretty sure the purpose isn't to void insurance policies as that would be bad for Shannons reputation in catering for enthusiasts.

If you are really worried about it just tell them when you make modifications and your problem is solved.

Other insurers like GIO will cover all modifications without even telling them unless it is specific excluded items like a cage or turbo.

Never made a claim myself but have had friends make claims on highly modified cars with Shannons and they were perfect in paying out. 

Interesting. As long as the safety and performance (engine, brakes, suspension) are in harmony with its purpose I guess.  Also it would seem a good idea to discuss the mods with your chosen insurer before making them.  Higher premiums could be an outcome too. https://www.canstar.com.au/car-insurance/car-insurance-modified-vehicles/

32 minutes ago, Merv said:

Interesting. As long as the safety and performance (engine, brakes, suspension) are in harmony with its purpose I guess.  Also it would seem a good idea to discuss the mods with your chosen insurer before making them.  Higher premiums could be an outcome too. https://www.canstar.com.au/car-insurance/car-insurance-modified-vehicles/

Modifications shouldn't change much in terms of premiums as long as you don't want to increase the agreed value of the car from what it would be standard.

Modifications don't really add much value to a car, so personally I just keep the value around the same and self-insure the modifications. 

Doing 20+ track days a year I figure that at some point it will be my day, so a slight loss if I ever write a car off on the road is a sort of cheap compared to that 🤣.

@Merv

During my claim, 2 or so years ago, 2 of my Ronal P9 rims were damaged, and as they're so rare, they couldn't find a new or even a restored price of replacement rims of the same make and model around around the globe (try and find a set even now!). The dickhead assesor just said $1000 take it or leave it, as they won't cough up for a full set of replica Fuchs as I said I'd take instead. Bloody frustrating, as said dickhead also told me my cars 'market value' was only $36k and they nearly wrote it off with $25k or so worth of damage, when at the time it was insured at $60k

To answer your question. If any mods are noted I'd say you're fine. Just check the fine print I s'pose 

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

said dickhead also told me my cars 'market value' was only $36k and they nearly wrote it off with $25k or so worth of damage, when at the time it was insured at $60k

To answer your question. If any mods are noted I'd say you're fine. Just check the fine print I s'pose 

So, this is quite timely/ interesting @LeeM.  I just went through the process of insuring my recently aquired '03 996.  I got quotes from 5 or 6 different companies.  One company - that I will not name (NRMA), told me that the market value for an '03 996 is a maximum of $38,000.  

Nearly all others were happy to have an agreed value of $60500.

Another un-named company (Enthusiast Insurance) demanded that I disclose the purchase price & stated that for at least the first 12 mths the insured value could not exceed the purchase price lest I "arrange" an incident resulting in the loss of the vehicle & thus potentially make a profit from a claim. 

Then after 12 mths I would need to prove via receipts that I had "improved' the vehicle in order to increase the agreed value.  I argued that the initial asking price was approx 60k but that I had negotiated with the seller a lower purchase price to account for a number of thousands of dollars of required mechanical work & that the total would appromiate the agreed value of 60k.  No good.  Irrespective of actual market value it was purchase price only.  

I argued with Ol' Mate that by that logic if I was lucky enough to buy a ferrari for $10 thousand off a person who did not realise (or didn't care) it's true value was $200 thousand dollars I would only be allowed to insure it for 10k clearly underinsuring the car.  He said, "that's right, it is insured for it's purchase value for the first 12mths irrespective of market value".

I said, "If I buy a painting from an OP Shop for $10 & it turns out to be a Monet worth $40 million, what do I ensure it for?"  He declined to answer.  Wankers.

As per Shannons also when they feel like it, "that's right, it is insured for it's purchase value for the first 12mths irrespective of market value". Having built an ICV from scratch in the past and knowing all the hoops and regulations of that process and the critical nature of a report from an 'approved' engineer, I wonder if major mods such as removal/replacement of the roof, doubling the HP of the car and then road use, makes a difference. I get the point on track cars.  You break it - you fix it.

So you overpaid for your '03 996 by quite a bit then @Jason E? Well that was a bit silly 😅 😁 Crazy stuff.

Shannons eventually came to the party after I just told them what was in my policy, though I think that was the transition period when Suncorp took over. Maybe the rep was just trying to get brownie points, as he did become a real dick, though the highly experienced repairer who did my car said they've started to become difficult, and would prefer not to deal with their insurance claims

Further to @Jason E  if you inherited or were gifted a car or even won a Shannon’s give away . What then ..

all the mods on my 996.2 , that I was able to remember, at time of insuring were duly noted 

So how many modded 996’s, even 986 going to the Luftwasser ball ?