Your 996 - how modded is modded?

michel

12 hours ago, luzzo said:

Good to hear you now have it sorted. Now it's time to enjoy the car..!

And, given your positive experience with the independent Porsche workshop who sorted it, you should mention them by name. It may help others needing someone trusted. 

Well the shop is well known, DHM Auto Solutions. My 996 was being worked on next to it's long lost cousin a silver Carrera GT owned by the previous owner of my car. Stunning! I use DHM for the 996 and Porsche Centre Gold Coast for the Cayenne GTS. 

• 1 month later...
On 03/05/2021 at 21:20, Naldz88 said:

Anyone know the make of this shifter kit? Little surprise when we pulled up the boot cover. I’ve checked through all the papers etc and no invoice of work done 🤷‍♂️

That is an OEM Porsche short shift... not sure which which one though sorry (I think they made a couple different ones)

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2021 at 12:09, edgy said:

That is an OEM Porsche short shift... not sure which which one though sorry (I think they made a couple different ones)

So close @edgy. It's the TEquipment version, all other version had the plastic base including 996 GT3's and cups ironically.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/996J/POR_996J_tec996_pg6.htm

On 26/01/2021 at 10:45, Tips said:

So far in 10 weeks of ownership of a very stock 98 966.1 cab with 118k km

fister hack

double din head unit with reverse camera/phone prep

relocated climate control swapped out CD storage for storage bin & integrated an apple play/charging usb in the back out of sight

18" turbo twists 

short shifter (was done by PO)

relocated spoiler button from kick panel/ fuse cover to centre console OEM switch

suspension refresh - new Koni sport and full bush and top mount replacements (retained standard height for a daily)

new turbo engine mounts (massive difference)

rebuilt roof hydraulics

new module to allow cab roof to be operated <40km and one touch vs current must be stopped with handbrake on. 

paint correction and ceramic coat

some updates above.  currently taking a mod break might do ims etc when clutch is due.

May be an image of car and outdoorsMay be an image of car and outdoors

On 14/05/2021 at 10:47, Tips said:

some updates above.  currently taking a mod break might do ims etc when clutch is due.

May be an image of car and outdoorsMay be an image of car and outdoors

Looking good!! I was really amazed at the difference new engine mounts made on my car too. 

3 hours ago, JWM said:

Looking good!! I was really amazed at the difference new engine mounts made on my car too. 

Thread hi jack but i saw your car at Berry today & went looking for you but when I got back your car was gone.

13 hours ago, JWM said:

Thanks, you saw it within weeks of purchase, totally transformed now. We need to organize the local 996 coffee meet

On 16/05/2021 at 20:23, GC9911 said:

Thread hi jack but i saw your car at Berry today & went looking for you but when I got back your car was gone.

Ah, I should have realised you'd be there and sent a DM! I went down with PCNSW trip although got there a bit early with a couple other guys after a missed turn 😅... We just parked there instead of where we were supposed to on the oval. There were some interesting cars there!

On 17/05/2021 at 06:27, Tips said:

Thanks, you saw it within weeks of purchase, totally transformed now. We need to organize the local 996 coffee meet

Definitely! Fried eggs Sydney :)

4 hours ago, JWM said:

Definitely! Fried eggs Sydney :)

ill put an expression of interest up. A few mates do a very early start run to Wollombi at least once a month for coffee. Would possibly be a good run so we could get dreamer and a couple of Nthn boys along as well. We did it on Sunday via Wisemans, awesome quick run, clear roads 😉.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/05/2021 at 10:47, Tips said:

new turbo engine mounts (massive difference)

What was the massive difference here?
Was it replacing it with new engine mounts full stop, or were the turbo ones substantially different?

I ask, as mine are due for replacement, and may as well have an informed opinion.

9 hours ago, jordan said:

What was the massive difference here?
Was it replacing it with new engine mounts full stop, or were the turbo ones substantially different?

I ask, as mine are due for replacement, and may as well have an informed opinion.

They were knackered and stretched. Old one on the right.

Massive difference in the shift selection, went from very notchy to smooth as silk. I did the full suspension refresh a few weeks later that improved it even more.I see a few people on pelican etc go neoprene solid mounts however being a daily I didn’t want to make it too stiff.

really easy 90min job if you have access to a floor jack and torque wrench

9AB31B2F-129C-4A36-98A6-62B78A9F1E76.jpeg

14 hours ago, Tips said:

They were knackered and stretched. Old one on the right.

Massive difference in the shift selection, went from very notchy to smooth as silk. I did the full suspension refresh a few weeks later that improved it even more.I see a few people on pelican etc go neoprene solid mounts however being a daily I didn’t want to make it too stiff.

really easy 90min job if you have access to a floor jack and torque wrench

9AB31B2F-129C-4A36-98A6-62B78A9F1E76.jpeg

ah right - so you used the 996turbo mounts instead? surprising they are cross-compatible?

10 hours ago, Jason E said:

@Tips which Head Unit did you go for?  I'm considering a reverse camera also.

Jason I went the pioneer unit DMHZ5350. Ended up with headunit from super cheap $499 and camera to match from repco. I was price shopping though.😉

5 hours ago, Tips said:

Jason I went the pioneer unit DMHZ5350. Ended up with headunit from super cheap $499 and camera to match from repco. I was price shopping though.😉

How well does the large screen integrate into the 996 dash @Tips. Would appreciate a pic if you can?

On 18/06/2021 at 00:38, luzzo said:

How well does the large screen integrate into the 996 dash @Tips. Would appreciate a pic if you can?

I’m happy with it, also put the USB in the back Of the tray as I like the really clean look and not having it hanging out of the cigarette lighter

B60E75D2-0804-4F6A-B33D-054BB17991ED.jpeg

On 18/06/2021 at 00:38, luzzo said:
36 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Thanks @Tips, appreciate the pic.

Look great, that Pioneer unit sits very well in the surround.  Where did you source the surround trim?

It was already in place as PO had a lower spec pioneer unit with no reverse camera or CarPlay