Your 996 - how modded is modded?

michel

@Cookster - How do you like the paddles? I did mine as well before switching to the Momo wheel and really, really liked them.

BTW, there is also a set of carbon AMG paddles that work as well…bought a set to replace the aluminium ones but never got around to it. 

BCA175AF-0B27-47A3-9FF6-278DA5FBD1CA.jpeg

5 minutes ago, 911CSR said:

@Cookster - How do you like the paddles? I did mine as well before switching to the Momo wheel and really, really liked them.

BTW, there is also a set of carbon AMG paddles that work as well…bought a set to replace the aluminium ones but never got around to it. 

BCA175AF-0B27-47A3-9FF6-278DA5FBD1CA.jpeg

Carbon jobys have a different  base to the aluminum ones.

29 minutes ago, tomo said:

Carbon jobys have a different  base to the aluminum ones.

Yeah but they arent matrerially different and both fit up, as long as the mounting hole you made in the steering wheel isn't too big..

1.thumb.jpg.ad9f81d24f8da9c197c0b55d9266ff4c.jpg

19 hours ago, 911CSR said:

Yeah but they arent matrerially different and both fit up, as long as the mounting hole you made in the steering wheel isn't too big..

1.thumb.jpg.ad9f81d24f8da9c197c0b55d9266ff4c.jpg

One is a retangle and the carbon is shaped like an egg, yeah that will work as long as you use one or da other . The Amg joby has a better attachment point with the brass thread .:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone believes that the cost of a 996 is only the initial purchase price then they will be sorely surprised!

One of the items replaced was the gas pedal hinge - my initial impression is good. No longer does my accelerator move left to right as it did before!

https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Billet-Gas-Pedal-Hinge/productinfo/P76/

Have also replaced the shocks with Bilstein B6s. Will be able to provide more details should we ever get out of lockdown in Sydney. The shocks, plus a general bushes replacement have really firmed up the ride. Am looking forward to being able to head out some time... (hopefully soon?!)

59 minutes ago, AndrewM said:

If anyone believes that the cost of a 996 is only the initial purchase price then they will be sorely surprised! 

Been hearing that a bit.

What's that old saying..."There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche''

1 hour ago, AndrewM said:

Yeah, no kidding. My car came with close to $45k in receipts. This includes tires and some less than necessary items like fitting an aftermarket exhaust, adjusting suspension, etc. but still, that's a lot of dollars.

Now that I do the math, that's not that bad when spread over 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After waiting what seems an eternity my new AST-5100 ciolovers have arrived!! Booked in to have them fitted next week with Autowerks up my way, as well as have the wondow regulators replaced..

Supercharger has also arrived. Trying to decide to I fit now or wait till I get the ensgine rebuilt...The kit is very well built, CSR radiator, Vortech charger and the A2W intercooler uses a CSR core too.

On recommendation from @smit2100 I bought a Cobb Accessport V3 and installed the pre-loaded 'Stage2 93' tune. Noticeably more power in the low-mid range, and third gear is awesome. I do find myself shifting earlier as power flattens out after ~6,000 RPM where as before it pulled hard all the way to redline (albeit not as rapidly). All-in-all I'm happy for the time being.

On 29/09/2021 at 06:07, the_sovereign_man said:

On recommendation from @smit2100 I bought a Cobb Accessport V3 and installed the pre-loaded 'Stage2 93' tune. Noticeably more power in the low-mid range, and third gear is awesome. I do find myself shifting earlier as power flattens out after ~6,000 RPM where as before it pulled hard all the way to redline (albeit not as rapidly). All-in-all I'm happy for the time being.

Time being - ha ha-   About $1500  is your next outlay for about another 20% of extra boost and sorting out that 6000 rpm issue  along with  maybe too much clutch slip shortly there after if your regularly seeing 6000 rpm requiring an additional outlay  Then its a massive slippery slope me thinks. eg buku bucks particularly if  your not wrenching yourself. I'd rather put the slippery slope money towards another underrated 6 cylinder twin turbo which doesn't have any COVID tax if your patient and agnostic to higher k's.  You only need to spend 5k  to improve the throttle response with an intended consequence getting you to 600hp from stock .   Has  just as good a engine note as a unstrangled factory  mezger( if not better as  six cylinders go). Plus 4 doors for some diversification and  a 8 speed zf  box with big flappy paddles  to boot.  A nice compliment to the manual  6 speed  boosted mezger all for under 6 figures excluding on roads.  A lazy 1100 hp between the  two for not much more than a over priced covid impacted sparkly looking aircooled  SC.  Upside is  no need to fork out extra hard earned to get that naturally non aspirated adrenaline hit for no additional outlay  compared to  say  a SC. Plus you can throw a set of keys to your mate and both go around a spin around the extended block and swap keys to compare the pair as opposed to them being relegated to the passenger seat and getting high on petrol fumes as opposed to boost.

Just had the new AST5100 coilovers fitted by AutoWerks on the Central Coast. Firstly, Simon, Cameron and Dave and the team there are amazing!!! If you need work done and are looking for someone, I personally can highly recommend the Simon and his guys!!!

The AST's are very good. Definitely stiffer (running them at 4 of 12 so may soften them another click or 2 after they settle in etc) than the Bilstein B6/H&R combination but thats what I was looking for the setup has changed the way the car feels to more of what I am used too.