Cayenne Diesel or what?

Pazzer71

Hi everyone

I'm a Porsche newbie, never owned one, and thinking of taking the plunge on a Cayenne 3.0D. We need a bigger car for family trips + my daily commute. Budget around $40k. The dilemma always comes down to:

New Korean family barge - will have all the toys

But could get a Cayenne for the same money...! Albeit 8/9 years old, no warranty, and a bit exotic

Currently have a Lexus IS250 which is ultra dependable and reliable, and a Skoda Yeti which is unreliable and has put me off DSG boxes for life. So I may have some bias against VAG (should that include Porsche?)

Interested to get some views. Cayenne good/bad or what alternatives?

Cheers all

Just went down this path - see thread 

for lots of comments and the final result.

Spoiler - Lucky Phil nailed the advice above despite not contributing to my other thread.

Also hate DSG boxes with a passion which drove me out of consideration of anything VAG, which was my first port of call.  They drive like crap and you can't get past the ticking time bomb feeling when you feel it clutch slipping to maintain low speed manouvres

Thanks for the responses. Must admit I expected a more enthusiastic support for a Cayenne from this forum! Perhaps that is telling...

Also considering a Merc GLC

Wildcard value option could be a Renault Koleos...pretty stylish, well equipped...not sure about build quality though?

On 29/01/2021 at 13:55, Pazzer71 said:

Thanks for the responses. Must admit I expected a more enthusiastic support for a Cayenne from this forum! Perhaps that is telling...

Being a Porsche forum with Porsche people who have owned them, you'll get an honest evaluation. Unlike Karen from accounts who bought one coz she needs to keep up appearances with her peers, or look good whilst dropping the kids at school 😁

Yeah I wouldn't buy one.

Kia, Mitsubishi, Hyundai. On top of their game atm. 7 year warranty on the first two means you can get a low ks 3,4,5 yr old cheap cheap and still have warranty. Mitsubishi has a well proven engine and transmission (serviced and driven within it's limits) from all reports I've come across.

They're still a bit shunned, like the first Italian but have the goods.

Flying under the radar so to speak.

The 955/957 turbos are bullet proof.  Can't speak to the diesel's.

One thing also is the Cayenne will have done its depreciation, a new Kia/Mitsu etc will obviously drop in value like a stone over a 5-7 year period.  All depends on what you want to do with it and how you keep the cars, I'd expect the costs of deprecation would more than outweigh the running costs of something without warranty.  

The $40k budget won't get you a new Korean either now... But as other have suggested it'll get you a 3 year old Hyundai Highlander still with another 3-4 years warranty.  The pick in class though is the Mazda CX9, but Mazda have only just gone to 5 years warranty after pressure for Korea.  If 7 seats aren't needed then $40k gets you a 2 year old Mazda CX5 with all the fruit that rivals anything eurotrash...

On 29/01/2021 at 14:25, Pazzer71 said:

Must admit I expected a more enthusiastic support for a Cayenne from this forum! Perhaps that is telling...

Nothing wrong with Cayenne, provided you are prepared to spend the $$ out of your ongoing to keep it running... if you worked on standard accounting depreciation of 25% p.a. what you'll drop in ownership costs for the Cayenne, you'll likely drop more in deprecation on a new Kia etc...but then the loss isn't realise until you transact, so your mileage may vary. 

I think the simplistic view to take with your scenario is; do you want to swap capital for cash flow or inverse and are you ok stumping up premium for the experience?... they both end up hitting your balance sheet anyway, but something like the Kia would no doubt be better for your going concern in the long run, just not as nice or fun...  

For a Cayenne, in a standard 4 years of mileage (circa 15k P.A.) your're looking at around $3k p.a. if you amortise general maintenance being;

• Services -  2 x minor $695.00 ea, 1 x intermediate $1200~ ea & 1 x Major $1400~ ea. 
  • Tyres - 1 set $2k ~ (needed about every 40-50k) 
  • Brakes - 1 set front & rear pads & rotors $3k (needed about every 40-50k) 

With regard to warranty; it is actually possible to warranty out to the 14th year (so total 15 years or 200k whichever comes first) if you can find a lower mile example thats been dealer maintained and still warrantied, you can retain the warranty provided you will pay for it at extension (circa $2400 for 2 years iirc) the one caveat being usually OPC must maintain the car, which is why I have quoted dealership prices above... of course for the consumables like tyres and brake you can source those independently and save a little $$ without any concern of compromising the warranty (but I don't as there isn't too much savings in it) In my experience the factory warranty is exceptional as it covers anything thats not considered consumable and usually its the dealership telling me what they want to fix, not the reverse... 

Hope this helps and helps to answer your questions, good luck, they're a great thing. 

On 01/02/2021 at 15:25, edgy said:

Nothing wrong with Cayenne, provided you are prepared to spend the $$ out of your ongoing to keep it running... if you worked on standard accounting depreciation of 25% p.a. what you'll drop in ownership costs for the Cayenne, you'll likely drop more in deprecation on a new Kia etc...but then the loss isn't realise until you transact, so your mileage may vary. 

I think the simplistic view to take with your scenario is; do you want to swap capital for cash flow or inverse and are you ok stumping up premium for the experience?... they both end up hitting your balance sheet anyway, but something like the Kia would no doubt be better for your going concern in the long run, just not as nice or fun...  

For a Cayenne, in a standard 4 years of mileage (circa 15k P.A.) your're looking at around $3k p.a. if you amortise general maintenance being;

• Services -  2 x minor $695.00 ea, 1 x intermediate $1200~ ea & 1 x Major $1400~ ea. 
  • Tyres - 1 set $2k ~ (needed about every 40-50k) 
  • Brakes - 1 set front & rear pads & rotors $3k (needed about every 40-50k) 

With regard to warranty; it is actually possible to warranty out to the 14th year (so total 15 years or 200k whichever comes first) if you can find a lower mile example thats been dealer maintained and still warrantied, you can retain the warranty provided you will pay for it at extension (circa $2400 for 2 years iirc) the one caveat being usually OPC must maintain the car, which is why I have quoted dealership prices above... of course for the consumables like tyres and brake you can source those independently and save a little $$ without any concern of compromising the warranty (but I don't as there isn't too much savings in it) In my experience the factory warranty is exceptional as it covers anything thats not considered consumable and usually its the dealership telling me what they want to fix, not the reverse... 

Hope this helps and helps to answer your questions, good luck, they're a great thing. 

I have one as the family vehicle and its pretty sound advice and pricing is very accurate, we've been very happy with it and its been reliable. Spoke to the wife about upgrading and looking at the new e-hybrid but hate the new interior

I do have the extended warranty and its been very useful (stuff just gets repaired during routine service - no questions asked also, if they want to replace your battery, just say no and get someone else to do it, its about $3k at dealer)

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, also looking at a new daily driver. 

Is it worth looking at Macans, or Cayennes? 

I'm looking at spending $60-70k and want something reliable/warranty. Obviously at that price point, there is quite a bit of depreciation left and not much warranty. 

Tossing up between this and a new Tiquan R Line.

Any advice would be welcomed. 

Get the Tiguan with warranty. I owned a Tiguan 147TSI for 10 years and was a great car. Father in law has a new model and same, good thing. Just bought a V6 Amarok for towing and trash. Again, its a good thing (same V6 diesel as the Cayenne I believe).

Macan is good, but lots to go wrong and $$$$$ to fix. 

On 28/09/2021 at 17:22, 911CSR said:

Get the Tiguan with warranty. I owned a Tiguan 147TSI for 10 years and was a great car. Father in law has a new model and same, good thing. Just bought a V6 Amarok for towing and trash. Again, its a good thing (same V6 diesel as the Cayenne I believe).

Macan is good, but lots to go wrong and $$$$$ to fix. 

I disagree! I have a Diesel Macan and love it. Drives well, has a lot of torque, PDK is lots of fun and it feels like a sportscar. I would buy another in a heartbeat

Plus I paid around what @rminc is budgeting and I have 3.5 years factory warranty remaining and I can extend it until 2031

3 hours ago, JLD said:

I disagree! I have a Diesel Macan and love it. Drives well, has a lot of torque, PDK is lots of fun and it feels like a sportscar. I would buy another in a heartbeat

Plus I paid around what @rminc is budgeting and I have 3.5 years factory warranty remaining and I can extend it until 2031

How do you like the stop start.  I have driven a few as loan cars and the start stop seems to have a slight delay when restarting.  Just wondering if it is something that you get used to.

10 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

How do you like the stop start.  I have driven a few as loan cars and the start stop seems to have a slight delay when restarting.  Just wondering if it is something that you get used to.

Yes, a bit annoying at first, but you get used to riding the brake pedal so it doesn’t engage or push it firmly to put it in ‘HOLD’. I use HOLD all the time, great at long lights as you don’t need to keep your foot on the brake even if stop/start doesn’t engage. If in HOLD and stop start engaged, one tap restarts the engine but it stays in HOLD. Then the next tap moves the car on. So you can watch for the lights to change and restart the engine before the traffic moves

2 minutes ago, JLD said:

Yes, a bit annoying at first, but you get used to riding the brake pedal so it doesn’t engage or push it firmly to put it in ‘HOLD’. I use HOLD all the time, great at long lights as you don’t need to keep your foot on the brake even if stop/start doesn’t engage

This whole stop start thing is a PITA, and inconsistent across VAG cars.  We have 2013 981 Boxster and 2013 Touareg.  On the Boxster you can permanently turn stop / start off by pressing the button, it stays off (in fact this was the first thing the salesperson at Theodossi's showed my wife!!).  Push down on the electric brake switch to engage brake.  Change to Toerag, exactly same switch, same parts bin I reckon, stop start resets each time you turn the car off, and pull UP to engage electric handbrake.  Suspect the Cayenne is exactly say as Toerag.... 😞  And yes, I just ease off on the brake pedal in the Toerag to make sure engine stays lit.....

21 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

This whole stop start thing is a PITA, and inconsistent across VAG cars.  We have 2013 981 Boxster and 2013 Touareg.  On the Boxster you can permanently turn stop / start off by pressing the button, it stays off (in fact this was the first thing the salesperson at Theodossi's showed my wife!!).  Push down on the electric brake switch to engage brake.  Change to Toerag, exactly same switch, same parts bin I reckon, stop start resets each time you turn the car off, and pull UP to engage electric handbrake.  Suspect the Cayenne is exactly say as Toerag.... 😞  And yes, I just ease off on the brake pedal in the Toerag to make sure engine stays lit.....

It's only the diesel that has the delay with stop start.  Both my petrol cars have stop start and the engine re-engagement after a stop is instant.  The diesel Macan's I have driven all had a slight delay.  Enough of a delay that left you stationary when other cars have commenced moving.  I asked the guys at PCB about it and they said it was a common complaint on the diesel.  If I had one I would disengage it every time.  I actually don't notice the stop start it at all in my Boxster or Merc so don't ever turn it off.

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

It's only the diesel that has the delay with stop start.  Both my petrol cars have stop start and the engine re-engagement after a stop is instant.  The diesel Macan's I have driven all had a slight delay.  Enough of a delay that left you stationary when other cars have commenced moving.  I asked the guys at PCB about it and they said it was a common complaint on the diesel.  If I had one I would disengage it every time.  I actually don't notice the stop start it at all in my Boxster or Merc so don't ever turn it off.

You learn to manage it, and adjust accordingly. It’s very very  rare that I get caught out.