Sign in to follow this  
Pazzer71

Cayenne Diesel or what?

Hi everyone

I'm a Porsche newbie, never owned one, and thinking of taking the plunge on a Cayenne 3.0D. We need a bigger car for family trips + my daily commute. Budget around $40k. The dilemma always comes down to:

New Korean family barge - will have all the toys

But could get a Cayenne for the same money...! Albeit 8/9 years old, no warranty, and a bit exotic

Currently have a Lexus IS250 which is ultra dependable and reliable, and a Skoda Yeti which is unreliable and has put me off DSG boxes for life. So I may have some bias against VAG (should that include Porsche?)

Interested to get some views. Cayenne good/bad or what alternatives?

Cheers all

Spend your $40K on a Kia or Hyundai.  7 year warranty and many years of worry free motoring with all the modern tech.  You will not have that with the 9 year old Porsche and parts and labour will cost a fortune.   

Just went down this path - see thread 

for lots of comments and the final result.

Spoiler - Lucky Phil nailed the advice above despite not contributing to my other thread.

Also hate DSG boxes with a passion which drove me out of consideration of anything VAG, which was my first port of call.  They drive like crap and you can't get past the ticking time bomb feeling when you feel it clutch slipping to maintain low speed manouvres

Thanks for the responses. Must admit I expected a more enthusiastic support for a Cayenne from this forum! Perhaps that is telling...

Also considering a Merc GLC

Wildcard value option could be a Renault Koleos...pretty stylish, well equipped...not sure about build quality though?

On 29/01/2021 at 13:55, Pazzer71 said:

Thanks for the responses. Must admit I expected a more enthusiastic support for a Cayenne from this forum! Perhaps that is telling...

Being a Porsche forum with Porsche people who have owned them, you'll get an honest evaluation. Unlike Karen from accounts who bought one coz she needs to keep up appearances with her peers, or look good whilst dropping the kids at school 😁

Yeah I wouldn't buy one.

Kia, Mitsubishi, Hyundai. On top of their game atm. 7 year warranty on the first two means you can get a low ks 3,4,5 yr old cheap cheap and still have warranty. Mitsubishi has a well proven engine and transmission (serviced and driven within it's limits) from all reports I've come across.

They're still a bit shunned, like the first Italian but have the goods.

Flying under the radar so to speak.

The 955/957 turbos are bullet proof.  Can't speak to the diesel's.

One thing also is the Cayenne will have done its depreciation, a new Kia/Mitsu etc will obviously drop in value like a stone over a 5-7 year period.  All depends on what you want to do with it and how you keep the cars, I'd expect the costs of deprecation would more than outweigh the running costs of something without warranty.  

The $40k budget won't get you a new Korean either now... But as other have suggested it'll get you a 3 year old Hyundai Highlander still with another 3-4 years warranty.  The pick in class though is the Mazda CX9, but Mazda have only just gone to 5 years warranty after pressure for Korea.  If 7 seats aren't needed then $40k gets you a 2 year old Mazda CX5 with all the fruit that rivals anything eurotrash...

I can tell you first hand the cars with long warranties are not depreciating like you would expect.  What happens after 7 years is yet to be seen. 

Buy a Mazda CX8. $41000 drive away at the moment for 2020 plated car.  Great value.  5 year warranty  and 3 years servicing too. 

On 29/01/2021 at 14:25, Pazzer71 said:

Must admit I expected a more enthusiastic support for a Cayenne from this forum! Perhaps that is telling...

Nothing wrong with Cayenne, provided you are prepared to spend the $$ out of your ongoing to keep it running... if you worked on standard accounting depreciation of 25% p.a. what you'll drop in ownership costs for the Cayenne, you'll likely drop more in deprecation on a new Kia etc...but then the loss isn't realise until you transact, so your mileage may vary. 

I think the simplistic view to take with your scenario is; do you want to swap capital for cash flow or inverse and are you ok stumping up premium for the experience?... they both end up hitting your balance sheet anyway, but something like the Kia would no doubt be better for your going concern in the long run, just not as nice or fun...  

For a Cayenne, in a standard 4 years of mileage (circa 15k P.A.) your're looking at around $3k p.a. if you amortise general maintenance being;

• Services -  2 x minor $695.00 ea, 1 x intermediate $1200~ ea & 1 x Major $1400~ ea. 
  • Tyres - 1 set $2k ~ (needed about every 40-50k) 
  • Brakes - 1 set front & rear pads & rotors $3k (needed about every 40-50k) 

With regard to warranty; it is actually possible to warranty out to the 14th year (so total 15 years or 200k whichever comes first) if you can find a lower mile example thats been dealer maintained and still warrantied, you can retain the warranty provided you will pay for it at extension (circa $2400 for 2 years iirc) the one caveat being usually OPC must maintain the car, which is why I have quoted dealership prices above... of course for the consumables like tyres and brake you can source those independently and save a little $$ without any concern of compromising the warranty (but I don't as there isn't too much savings in it) In my experience the factory warranty is exceptional as it covers anything thats not considered consumable and usually its the dealership telling me what they want to fix, not the reverse... 

Hope this helps and helps to answer your questions, good luck, they're a great thing. 

They must be good they all get driven a lot of miles 

On 01/02/2021 at 15:25, edgy said:

Nothing wrong with Cayenne, provided you are prepared to spend the $$ out of your ongoing to keep it running... if you worked on standard accounting depreciation of 25% p.a. what you'll drop in ownership costs for the Cayenne, you'll likely drop more in deprecation on a new Kia etc...but then the loss isn't realise until you transact, so your mileage may vary. 

I think the simplistic view to take with your scenario is; do you want to swap capital for cash flow or inverse and are you ok stumping up premium for the experience?... they both end up hitting your balance sheet anyway, but something like the Kia would no doubt be better for your going concern in the long run, just not as nice or fun...  

For a Cayenne, in a standard 4 years of mileage (circa 15k P.A.) your're looking at around $3k p.a. if you amortise general maintenance being;

• Services -  2 x minor $695.00 ea, 1 x intermediate $1200~ ea & 1 x Major $1400~ ea. 
  • Tyres - 1 set $2k ~ (needed about every 40-50k) 
  • Brakes - 1 set front & rear pads & rotors $3k (needed about every 40-50k) 

With regard to warranty; it is actually possible to warranty out to the 14th year (so total 15 years or 200k whichever comes first) if you can find a lower mile example thats been dealer maintained and still warrantied, you can retain the warranty provided you will pay for it at extension (circa $2400 for 2 years iirc) the one caveat being usually OPC must maintain the car, which is why I have quoted dealership prices above... of course for the consumables like tyres and brake you can source those independently and save a little $$ without any concern of compromising the warranty (but I don't as there isn't too much savings in it) In my experience the factory warranty is exceptional as it covers anything thats not considered consumable and usually its the dealership telling me what they want to fix, not the reverse... 

Hope this helps and helps to answer your questions, good luck, they're a great thing. 

I have one as the family vehicle and its pretty sound advice and pricing is very accurate, we've been very happy with it and its been reliable. Spoke to the wife about upgrading and looking at the new e-hybrid but hate the new interior

I do have the extended warranty and its been very useful (stuff just gets repaired during routine service - no questions asked also, if they want to replace your battery, just say no and get someone else to do it, its about $3k at dealer)

I have to ask but why does it cost $3k to replace a battery. Thats just plain robbery.

Yeah agree, that's really exxy for a battery replacement.  Not sure on the later ones, but in the 955/957 its located under the passenger seat, its a 15 minute job at best.