Air to water. Pros and cons

LeeM

20 hours ago, LeeM said:

Driving my thing into the hills 5 mins from home is ok and the twisties are fun, yet I'm usually over it within 50km's. The drive home afterwards is mind numbing and I can't wait to get out of it...especially when it's a warm day

Geez Lee, it really does sound like you are well and truly over it after reading your comments. Now you have to read back those comments to yourself and probably action on it.

Variety is the spice of life and lots of flavors of Porsche to try. I get it though as I am going through being torn about selling mine, I'm not over it though as I am selling for other reasons. 

Don't want to sell because you know what you have and you may not get another the same. Venturing in to another buy and getting the car set the way you like it can be problematic sometimes as well.  

You've basically just covered whats going (for ages) on in my head @TINGY996 

It's a bloody hard decision for me to make, as I've wanted my car for 40 years or so. I have looked at financing for a 996, and it is affordable, but I just can't justify it for a weekend toy. I look back and kick meself bloody hard at the black very low km tiptronic I test drove for a member here. That beautiful car totally changed my mind, not only about 996's, but tiptronics and 'modern' technology in general. It was a sensational thing to drive, though the owner probably regretted allowing me to drive it in the hills near his house that I know very well 🤢😅. I could have bought that for $30k when the seller needed it gone. I randomly called him months later to see if he sold it, and I missed it by a week or so, and I believe he sold it for $28k or thereabouts. I had organised the finance in advance incase he still had it. What a dick! 🙄

When I see cars like @Jason E has bought, I think "Damn that looks bloody good", or a guy local to me Michael (forget his name here) with the Arena red 996 I saw two days ago on the road, and I want one again. Then I go on Instagram and see all these backdates and think "I've got one of them, why do I need a 996?" and the doubts enter my head yet again 🙄 If its frustrating for readers here to always see my thoughts on a 996 and you think "F..k mate, just buy one!", you should hear the voices of frustration in my head!  I'm normally the sorta bloke that just makes a decision to buy something and I do it, not procrastinate for 2 years, yet this is not easy for me, as its probably one of the biggest decisions I'll ever make, as I'll never own an air cooled again if I do sell mine.

Sorry for thread drift (again), carry on 👍

11 hours ago, P-Kay said:

my 2c

Take out a loan and grab yourself the water cooled car - whichever model floats your boat

Only then will you be able to determine whether you 'have to have' both or whether the more modern is where your heart is at.

With this strategy, by selling the one you don't want, the loan will be removed and you will be back to square one without the anxiety of 'what if'

It's only a couple of months making payments........

As others have mentioned. Life is short and throws some interesting curve balls at times!! Live a little!

Good luck mate ;) 

I'm with P-Kay. Does mean you would have a loan for a few months but does then mean some time seeing if the grass really is greener before selling the SC.

Because once it's gone it will be harder and more expensive to get back in the AC if you get sellers remorse. 

Personally my AC is a keeper. Sure the newer cars are more capable, but doesn't tug at the heart strings like my 84 coupe does.

It would be a very hard decision to make.  It feels like A/C ownership should be the pinnacle of Porsche ownership but I think the car you drive more is the right one.  However if you aren't driving or enjoying your car at the moment then perhaps it's just the wrong one.

I'd love to have the readies to have an A/C in the Garage for winter drives but I don't.  I know I wouldn't drive a car without A/C up here so until I pay off my mortgages I will have to live with a watercooled rocket on it's own (plus the daily GTI).

Is there a possibility/ is there someone you trust & who trusts you to swap cars for a month?  Try out the 996 whilst they get a taste of some air cooled retro nostalgia.  Have to be someone that will be careful with your car & you with theirs.  Just a thought.  Doubtful you'd be able to hire one from anywhere these days.

23 hours ago, luzzo said:

This is where the 996 steps in. 

I agree the 997 is a well rounded, almost complete car. Quite refined and a very fun drive. 

The 996 is a different experience. Many more characteristics closer to the aircooled cars for me.

I really am tempted to buy a 996, but can't find space or justification for a 5th car as a single man.

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

Don't want to sell because you know what you have and you may not get another the same. 

You have crawled into my head Steve. Exactly why the SC was too hard to sell. Just got it sorted and wanted the taste of more but couldn’t part with it, worried I could never replace it. But after 5 weeks of 996 ownership I’m starting to think maybe whilst AC prices appear strong I should move it for something else, then I drive it 😁😉

Tough call Lee. Although I feel if you did make the switch and weren’t happy there’s no reason why you couldn’t buy back into AC. It might take some time to make the switch back in terms of selling the 996 and finding the right AC but not impossible. I’ve never driven a 996 Carrera so can’t comment more than that, but I do love how the 996 chassis offers modern performance, yet retains the charm (and some of the sounds!) of the aircooled cars. To me, if going to a 996 means more time behind the wheel due to comfort and thus greater eagerness to take the car out, then that’s a huge plus. We buy these things to drive them!

I've been on both sides of this fence. I sold a 911T to buy a 996 & then sold the 996 to buy a 912 which was subsequently sold to fund a GT3. I also had a much loved 911SC rally car that we used for over ten years. The car was engaging, bullet proof & I loved it !! I decided a change would be nice & bought a 996 mk1 GT3 rally car (funded by the sale of the 912). It took me another 3 years to sell the SC as I couldn't bring myself to part with it......I love my GT3 which IMHO is the perfect blend of old & new.....it's easily the best Porsche i've driven BUT I desperately miss my SC & would buy it back in a heartbeat if I could afford it. 

The difficulty with Porsches is that they are all great & each car has it's own unique personality. Whatever you decide it's a great choice !! You just need to find the one that feels right for you, suits your lifestyle & will start / go every time you need it......honestly I regret every Porsche I ever sold !!! 

Cheers

9 minutes ago, spiller said:

To me though if going to a 996 means more time behind the wheel due to comfort, then that’s a huge plus. We buy these things to drive them!

Very true Simon

As you well know what else I've been looking at, that seems a more realistic option at the moment. 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

You've basically just covered whats going (for ages) on in my head @TINGY996 

It's a bloody hard decision for me to make, as I've wanted my car for 40 years or so. I have looked at financing for a 996, and it is affordable, but I just can't justify it for a weekend toy. I look back and kick meself bloody hard at the black very low km tiptronic I test drove for a member here. That beautiful car totally changed my mind, not only about 996's, but tiptronics and 'modern' technology in general. It was a sensational thing to drive, though the owner probably regretted allowing me to drive it in the hills near his house that I know very well 🤢😅. I could have bought that for $30k when the seller needed it gone. I randomly called him months later to see if he sold it, and I missed it by a week or so, and I believe he sold it for $28k or thereabouts. I had organised the finance in advance incase he still had it. What a dick! 🙄

When I see cars like @Jason E has bought, I think "Damn that looks bloody good", or a guy local to me Michael (forget his name here) with the Arena red 996 I saw two days ago on the road, and I want one again. Then I go on Instagram and see all these backdates and think "I've got one of them, why do I need a 996?" and the doubts enter my head yet again 🙄 If its frustrating for readers here to always see my thoughts on a 996 and you think "F..k mate, just buy one!", you should hear the voices of frustration in my head!  I'm normally the sorta bloke that just makes a decision to buy something and I do it, not procrastinate for 2 years, yet this is not easy for me, as its probably one of the biggest decisions I'll ever make, as I'll never own an air cooled again if I do sell mine.

Sorry for thread drift (again), carry on 👍

Don't sell the air-cooled. Find someone to rent you a 996, drive it for a couple of days and get over your desire to own one. 

I’d lusted after air cooled 911’s for 30 odd years but missed the boat and had to ‘settle’ for a 996. Then when I could afford an air cooled I drove a nice original SC for sale at about double the price of my 996. Coming from years of fiddlings with Fiat 124’s and Alfa 105’s I was sure I would love the SC, but the test drive left me underwhelmed, I just wasn’t feeling it. As I walked back to the 996 I found myself admiring it anew, and as I drove off I literally laughed out loud at how much better it felt. At that point I realized I’d completely gelled with the 996 and the desire for an air cooled completely evaporated. I’m sure the reverse has happened to others, or could’ve happened to me in a different time/scenario.

Think my point is, I’m pretty sure if you get a good 996 and do a few fiddlings to your taste you won’t be disappointed.

It's not enough to just compare the two cars, they both have their pro's & cons. You will never be able to make a decision based on a comparison no matter how rational it is, probably why you've been going around and around in circles whenever the thought has arisen. 

I've never intended (or wanted) to sell a Porsche but in each circumstance there has always been a couple of key factors;

What is my price? No matter how sentimental or how much emotion, at some point everything has its price. There will be an amount of money that I'm sure if someone offered you right now you wouldn't hesitate to sell. Obviously it needs to be somewhat realistic but if you can determine a price then you can take emotion out of the picture and let the market decide. The luxury you have is that you are not in a desperate need to sell so you can afford to test the waters and if it sells it will be bitter sweet. That's ok, you can live with that decision.  

Secondly, I'm guessing that there is a possibility that you could complete a transaction and have some extra $$$ as a trade off - what can that extra money be put towards? For example, if it provides an opportunity to complete that bathroom renovation you have never been able to justify then don't discount that as having some real tangible value. So, I guess what I'm saying is, you need to consider the bigger picture. Understandably no one wants to sell their Porsche but at a certain price and if that provides an opportunity for you to do something else (especially if that still results in having a Porsche in the garage) then life really isn't so bad? 

I will add that I'm a huge early Porsche tragic so if I only could have 1 it would be an earlier air-cooled 911 but how much someone would sacrifice to buy and/or hold onto one is the bigger question. What is it worth to you? Put emotion to the side for a moment, put your business/financial/bigger picture mind on and weigh up the options. Its not about getting a "better" car as that's all very subjective and doesn't actually have a right/wrong answer. If on the other hand it can allow you to still have a toy and diversify with funds elsewhere (giving you more time to enjoy said toy) then at some point I think you'll find it could be a worthwhile exchange. 

It is just  car at the end of the day, not worth loosing sleep over or tormenting yourself with "what if" questions - if the price is right and it gives you options pull the trigger. It all comes back to the key question of what is it all worth! 

For example, I never wanted to sell the blue car but it was done so at a) at my price (firm) and b) it facilitated the purchase of a holiday/weekender property for Vic, myself and our 3 x boys. It was very much a "bigger picture" plan that put some perspective on the money sitting in the garage that could be "parked" elsewhere and critically, enjoyed elsewhere with my boys (as that is the key objective of it all for me). 

"Better to have loved and lost than not loved at all..............." :lol:

11 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

I really am tempted to buy a 996, but can't find space or justification for a 5th car as a single man.

Happy to throw a few ideas around to get that justification case strong.  As a single man you absolutely should be buying whatever the hell you want!

On 28 January 2021 at 22:25, LeeM said:

I did think of your comment the other day when posting this thread up 😁🙄

Every time I bring it up with the missus, I get the very same response as yours offers. Usually with a roll of the eyes 😁  And yes, I'm stuck on that fence mate. 

Exactly how I've described an earlier 996. Having driven @PhilH amazing car back to back with my '78, they're not that different. Just a lot...better

Driving my thing into the hills 5 mins from home is ok and the twisties are fun, yet I'm usually over it within 50km's. The drive home afterwards is mind numbing and I can't wait to get out of it...especially when it's a warm day

Lee, you need to borrow mine for a weekend and drive it lots of Kms in the hills and in the traffic to get an overall feel for the car and what it does and does not do.  Mine is a daily driver and just such an easy car to live with. Sure I miss my 4 X 3.2 Carreras, however the 996 gives me as much happiness and smiles, with more comfort and less fatigue after a long, hard drive.

Do I miss the air cooled cars?  Sure do, but the 996.1 is just as engaging and enjoyable to me - I don't profess to be a balls to the walls driver and while I enjoy spirited drives through the hills, I don't try to break any records, so I find the 996 does everything I want to do and no doubt could do a lot more in more capable hands.....but to me, that is not the point.  I just wanted a car that I could drive daily, that my wife was happy to drive in (she hated the lowered and hard suspension on the 3.2), that was reasonable comfortable but still put a big smile in my face when I push it a bit through the hills.....and the 996 ticks all those boxes.

having said that, my car has GT3 suspension set up so sits a bit lower than normal and the suspension is a bit harder so it does handle corners pretty well, but otherwise it is stock......and it has cup holders for my morning coffee!!!

whats not to like about a 996?

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

Happy to throw a few ideas around to get that justification case strong.  As a single man you absolutely should be buying whatever the hell you want!

13 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

Coastr said it 👍 ... Bluey as single men we don't have to justify anything, you want a 5th, get a 5th. Do what you want.

That's the reason I'm single and will never go back to "the darkside' :cool07: :Beer:  :Laughter: :Evil: :CoolDance:

I'd be happy to get the missus off my back with the bathroom reno @hugh! 😁 

Very wise words as usual, thanks mate. I have a couple of small things to do on the car before I'd sell. Not to make any extra cash, but just for my peace of mind that I'd be selling a car that people would be happy with, but yes, everything has a price

@PhilH You know only too well what I think of your car. It's the car that is always at the forefront of my mind when I think about a 996. "Handles pretty well"? Well theres an understatement if I've ever read one! 😁

I've taken my missus out in the SC once in nearly 5 years, so that kinda says what she thinks of it 😁 Saying that, she's the one who is always saying she won't put up with me whinging if I sold then regretted it, BUT, she is also the kinda woman who always says do or buy whatever makes you happy. 

Thank you for the very kind offer to borrow your car, it's appreciated. I may have to take you up on that one day soon 👍

4 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I'd be happy to get the missus off my back with the bathroom reno @hugh! 😁 

Very wise words as usual, thanks mate. I have a couple of small things to do on the car before I'd sell. Not to make any extra cash, but just for my peace of mind that I'd be selling a car that people would be happy with, but yes, everything has a price

@PhilH You know only too well what I think of your car. It's the car that is always at the forefront of my mind when I think about a 996. "Handles pretty well"? Well theres an understatement if I've ever read one! 😁

I've taken my missus out in the SC once in nearly 5 years, so that kinda says what she thinks of it 😁 Saying that, she's the one who is always saying she won't put up with me whinging if I sold then regretted it, BUT, she is also the kinda woman who always says do or buy whatever makes you happy. 

Thank you for the very kind offer to borrow your car, it's appreciated. I may have to take you up on that one day soon 👍

Mate , do yourself a favour and come over this afternoon or tomorrow and take your wife out for a drive in my car. Go up to Hahndorf or the like so she understands and appreciates your dilemma.  Just go for a "cruise" for a coffee somwhere.  More than happy for you to do that🙂

24 minutes ago, LeeM said:

It’s funny you should say that ... I had exactly the same scenario.

I originally bought the SC, obviously cause I always wanted one, but also to go with the wife on Sunday drives and social outings. She must have been in it only a handful of times in the 6 years of ownership. She used to call it “the old piece of shit”. That should tell you something! ... BUT ... she was also happy for me to buy it, keep it and enjoy it.

The 996 has her wanting to get in it and go for drives. She is happy to go for a Sunday run. I now get to enjoy it WITH her.

I’m lucky enough to have the 924 Turbo to get my “old school” fix. The wife has been in it even less than the SC, but it won’t be going anywhere. She can bloody well stay home and I’ll go by myself!

Do I miss the air-cooled?? .. absolutely! Would I own one again? ... absolutely! Do I regret getting the C4S?? ... absolutely not!!