IMS 996 question for the Illuminati.

Jason E

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Yet shops etc say it's a permanent solution to the IMS problem? 

Someone is telling porkies

I think Lee, the 5 year fix is a new similar type bearing replaceable every 5 years & the LN oil fed solution is a "permanent" fix (as much as anything in these cars is permanent ;) ).

I've spoken to a few about it, yet never heard any talk of the 5 year lifespan with any bearing replacement @Jason E  

Maybe buyers will now ask for evidence of when it was done, to factor in the cost of another replacement with the sale/buy price?   e:g "6 years ago? Ooh nah mate, I have to do the IMS again, so you'll have to drop your price by 6-8 grand..." 😉😁

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

I've spoken to a few about it, yet never heard any talk of the 5 year lifespan with any bearing replacement @Jason E  

Maybe buyers will now ask for evidence of when it was done, to factor in the cost of another replacement with the sale/buy price?   e:g "6 years ago? Ooh nah mate, I have to do the IMS again, so you'll have to drop your price by 6-8 grand..." 😉😁

With the LN guys (who invented the fix) they say 5 years or 75 K and suggest to change it when you do your clutch  plate.Thats for the retrofit bearing .

20 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Well there ya go...ya learn something every day. Maybe a 997 would be a better option 😁

Yeah haha, I think the 997 the same problem till 2008-2009, And it can not be retrofitted, Hence the Ims solution fixed  for life.

43 minutes ago, LeeM said:

2 hours ago, tomo said:

With the LN guys (who invented the fix) they say 5 years or 75 K and suggest to change it when you do your clutch  plate.Thats for the retrofit bearing .

That's good to know @tomo, thanks.  For some reason I got the impression that the LN was a permenant fix & the other (less expensive fixes) were a 3 year or so lifespan.  

I suppose with the 5yr/ 75k lifespan you're paying $1200 per years extra insurance.  I wish I had developed a love of Kia's instead of a thing for Porsches.

I think from memory @dreamer was saying the 997s have a worse issue with needing the case split to access the IMS until you get to the post 2009 cars - correct?

I'll quote directly from the mechanics estimate - (this is for the NON LN solution) - 

Estimated cost to remove engine assembly from vehicle, remove gearbox from engine & remove drive plate, secure cam shafts & remove IMSbearing.  Fit new IMS bearing & remove & replce rear main oil seal.  Fit new Cam plugs, remove & replace Engine Oil Seperator.  Refit gearbox to engine & refit assmbley to vehicle.

Labor - $1680 

Parts - $1369.70

IMS soultion is also available for this vehicle.  IMS solution parts would cost $2670 plus GST & take an additional of labour ($140).

end of estimate/ quote......................................................

So I make it that the IMS LN solution should be approx $2937 parts $1820 labour for a total of $4757 approx.  I think the extra cost must be in the peripheral gear RMS/AOS etc taking it to the verbal quote of "around 6k".

15 minutes ago, tomo said:

Yeah haha, I think the 997 the same problem till 2008-2009, And it can not be retrofitted, Hence the Ims solution fixed  for life.

ahh, you got in before me.

20 minutes ago, tomo said:

You are correct in saying this ..

The 997.1 had issues with the IMS but to change it, the case has to be split. The IMS issue was all sorted in the 997.2.

Admittedly, the issue is less prevalent in the 997.1, which is why it isn't widely talked about, or even known about. Or .. the 997 owners don't want buyers to know how expensive it is to change it for preventative purposes.

The IMS is one of the reasons I didn't buy a 997.1 C4S. At least in the 996 it's only a gearbox drop ..

23 minutes ago, tomo said:

Crikey, this is just making me wanna get an early WRX for $15k and forget about Porsches altogether! 🤔😉

4 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Crikey, this is just making me wanna get an early WRX for $15k and forget about Porsches altogether! 🤔😉

I certainly keep looking back to the 3 years I owned my 2006 MX5 (with the retractable hardtop & paid nothing other than servicing) with fondness.  Lot's of fun, cheap as chips to buy & service, reliable as hell, zero issues, no IMS.............................hmmmmmmmm

When I got the 964 it would have to be the most critersized and melined car in the world,  But It did not miss a beat, Break, down, cause me any drama for my 14 years of ownership of regular thrashing , The 6.2 Has had 2800 ks of training so far, And loved every  k :)

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Well there ya go...ya learn something every day. Maybe a 997 would be a better option 😁

Guys, as I've said many times here, if you're fixated on the IMS, you're never going to enjoy the car.  In both our 987.1 S and 996.2 we followed the "be alert, not alarmed" principle - do regular oil changes, use good quality oil, check the filter for fragments each time, and change the IMS if you get fragments, or you're replacing a clutch, or have the engine out for any other reason.  We were aware of the potential issue when we bought the 987.1S, and decided we wouldn't be paranoid about it.  I never would have bought the 996.2 if I'd been fixated about it.........

I reckon LN Engineering are on to a great, self promoted inbuilt obsolescence that keeps their profits ticking away.  There are other options beside  LN by the way......

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Guys, as I've said many times here, if you're fixated on the IMS, you're never going to enjoy the car.  In both our 987.1 S and 996.2 we followed the "be alert, not alarmed" principle - do regular oil changes, use good quality oil, check the filter for fragments each time, and change the IMS if you get fragments, or you're replacing a clutch, or have the engine out for any other reason.  We were aware of the potential issue when we bought the 987.1S, and decided we wouldn't be paranoid about it.  I never would have bought the 996.2 if I'd been fixated about it.........

I reckon LN Engineering are on to a great, self promoted inbuilt obsolescence that keeps their profits ticking away.  There are other options beside  LN by the way......

Yep, the Mechanic did say to change the oil every 5000ks, check the filter & be alert......or do the IMS. 

What are the other options?

26 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Yep, the Mechanic did say to change the oil every 5000ks, check the filter & be alert......or do the IMS. 

Search IMS Guardian... https://www.callasrennsport.com/blog/ims-guardian-part--1

Basically aircraft technology designed to immediately detect metal chips in real time and set off an alarm.

13 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Search IMS Guardian... https://www.callasrennsport.com/blog/ims-guardian-part--1

Basically aircraft technology designed to immediately detect metal chips in real time and set off an alarm.

had a quick read - has anyone done this?  wonder what the cost is? (probably about 6k 😀).

10 minutes ago, Jason E said:

had a quick read - has anyone done this?  wonder what the cost is? (probably about 6k 😀).

Had a read .. their site interesting though unable to find product info 

thougH to go back to your Q.

watch wait act approach with oil changes etc including the link fishcop posted 

bearing replacement - various options all “non permanent “

oil fed bearing - permanent solution 

or as Dreamr suggests replace with a GT3 motor 

1 hour ago, Jason E said:

Here's one:

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/ims-bearing-upgrade-kit

What I'm saying is, yes, probably figure in doing an IMS upgrade at some stage, but take precautions so you don't stop enjoying the car in the mean time...  And of course, if the signs of impending failure are there, certainly you would do the replacement.....

I have actually replaced (helped my brother...😁) an IMS bearing on my brother's 996.1 (manual) which had traversed a tad over 180,000Km.

He is an auto mechanic and has a two post hoist at home which made it easy. Being a manual, we just dropped the transaxle to access the IMS.

We used the TuneRS DOF kit which is made up of the oil feed assembly and the correct SKF replacement bearing to suit.

Procedure was fairly simple - we just took our time and it took us approx 3/4 of a day to retrofit the kit. he also replaced the clutch and flywheel while everything was out.

A couple of pics....

His RMS was fine however his IMS cover/seal was weeping ever so slightly, (recall his 996.1 had 180,000Km on the clock.

8hNxnG.jpg

After cleaning; note we also ground away some of the crankcase to facilitate the new oil feed line.

k6XYgX.jpg

IMS flange/bearing end support plate removed.

kNWvDy.jpg

Using the correct tools for the job....😊

sna1Qo.jpg

Peering into the IMS shaft...

cVCAKK.jpg

Bearing with seal removed - Note this is a double row bearing as fitted to the 3.4's. While engine had done over 180,000Km, bearing seemed fine once we took a much closer look at it after we cleaned it up.

6mpsi3.jpg

New IMS flange/cover fitted. Oil line was then connected to it to keep the new bearing happy.

mARt4t.jpg

WYTnzg.jpg

This was carried out way back in 2015. I actually had a RMS slightly weep on my 996.2 in Jan last year and I had this looked at by BUIK's here in Adelaide.

Since I had also purchased an IMS kit at the same time my brother way back in 2014, I decided to  have this fitted while my transaxle was removed for the RMS task. I had BUIK's install mine (just a tad over $1.8K for labour) incl. full service and a few other odds and ends.

My original bearing (single row unit) was also fine albeit my 996 had covered a lot less Km's as compared to others.