INTRODUCTION THREAD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Long time lurker new poster. My name is Alex and I currently own a 1980 930. First Porsche was a 924 in 1981, I loved that car but blew up the motor racing an RX7 going up the Toowoomba range (yes I was beating him at the time).

Rebuilt the motor and attached a turbo but it never ran properly after that plus I needed to satisfy my 911 urge.

Bought a 911E that was a RSR tribute car and again I loved that car. Completely restored and repainted it but still as a RSR tribute car. Life got in the way and I had to sell it.

Then I went through my Ferrari stage and bought a 308 GT4 back in 1999 which I'm glad I did as it made me realise why I loved Porsches in the first place. So I promptly went and bought my 930 which I have had since around 2004. Also had a red Brock VC HDT commodore which I sold recently. Another car I really loved. Had more fun in that than I did in the Ferrari.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMGk3niXqQisLeV6j3Xz0MnqzQ3psb9JbCrksnW

Hopefully the picture loaded. Used to be with photobucket but now trying with google pictures. If not, sorry.

I love all Porsches no matter where the engine is located and I don't want to not have a Porsche in the shed and the 928 is a lot easier to get in and it's an auto so win win all round.

Anyway Hi to everyone and ANF you seem to be the local 928 guru so expect some questions from me when the time comes.

On 30/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, 3legs said:

Hi

Long time lurker new poster. My name is Alex and I currently own a 1980 930. First Porsche was a 924 in 1981, I loved that car but blew up the motor racing an RX7 going up the Toowoomba range (yes I was beating him at the time).

Rebuilt the motor and attached a turbo but it never ran properly after that plus I needed to satisfy my 911 urge.

Bought a 911E that was a RSR tribute car and again I loved that car. Completely restored and repainted it but still as a RSR tribute car. Life got in the way and I had to sell it.

Then I went through my Ferrari stage and bought a 308 GT4 back in 1999 which I'm glad I did as it made me realise why I loved Porsches in the first place. So I promptly went and bought my 930 which I have had since around 2004. Also had a red Brock VC HDT commodore which I sold recently. Another car I really loved. Had more fun in that than I did in the Ferrari.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMGk3niXqQisLeV6j3Xz0MnqzQ3psb9JbCrksnW

Hopefully the picture loaded. Used to be with photobucket but now trying with google pictures. If not, sorry.

I love all Porsches no matter where the engine is located and I don't want to not have a Porsche in the shed and the 928 is a lot easier to get in and it's an auto so win win all round.

Anyway Hi to everyone and ANF you seem to be the local 928 guru so expect some questions from me when the time comes.

Hi 3legs and welcome!

Good choice with wanting a 928 :) although flattering I do not consider myself a guru. Yes I have done a bit of work on my 928 and now there is much more to do, so I like a couple of others on here do know these cars!

Good luck in your search.

Picture link does not work, asks to sign in?

Cheers

Adam

Hi

The 930 will be on the market in the new year. It's a 1980 with Pasha interior. Done around 126000 km. Totally original (except exhaust) including paint.

Just had close to $10k work getting fuel injection rebuilt, new fuel pumps, new brake lines, new fuel lines and just replacing items that needed fixing or replacing. Also oil change, plugs etc.

It will be going back the Buiks (who did all of the above work) to get a new windscreen and the fix the generator light. It's generating power but the light keeps flickering and Buiks think it just maybe a diode that's failing.

I may get new carpet on the drivers side as it's a little too ratty for my liking. It's probably ok for most people.

As far as i'm aware (and correct me if i'm wrong) but it's the only one in Australia with that colour combination and from what i've seen on the net there are very few in the world in that colour (for a 930).

I haven't worked out a price yet because the prices you see on Carsales vary wildly. Buiks have given me a rough figure of what its worth which is around the average price of those on Carsales.

Cheers

Alex

(sorry moderator if this is in the wrong section. Please action as necessary)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys thought I'd do a proper introduction

Porsche nut and also love my Ferraris, also photographer @nb_autography

Got my first Porsche about 6 months ago for 5k

A barely running 986, After 3 months just in time for getting my license and 6k later it ran perfectly and hasn't faulted me since

Live around Bayside area so you can guarantee to see me at every RSR meet, Ill be the only 986 and the only one on Red P plates thats for sure.

Trying to do a little car photography on the side mainly of Ferraris so far but keen to add more Porsches and variety. Check out the website here www.bitly.com/nbautography 

Counting down the years until I can get off P plates and into a 911.

Here are some pics of my car.

Boxster-0177

Boxster-0193

Thank, Nick

5 hours ago, nbauto said:

Hi guys thought I'd do a proper introduction

Porsche nut and also love my Ferraris, also photographer @nb_autography

Got my first Porsche about 6 months ago for 5k

A barely running 986, After 3 months just in time for getting my license and 6k later it ran perfectly and hasn't faulted me since

Live around Bayside area so you can guarantee to see me at every RSR meet, Ill be the only 986 and the only one on Red P plates thats for sure.

Trying to do a little car photography on the side mainly of Ferraris so far but keen to add more Porsches and variety. Check out the website here www.bitly.com/nbautography 

Counting down the years until I can get off P plates and into a 911.

Here are some pics of my car.

Boxster-0177

Boxster-0193

Thank, Nick

Great start with a 986, welcome! 

Welcome aboard Nick, nice colour for your Coxster,... matches the trim nicely.

Photographers always welcome also.

It's great that you have been able to practice on Ferrari's........now you will be in a position to photograph proper cars..:P

Don't forget DAK DAK tomorrow if you can fit it in.

Thanks guys, @dan_189 its a 1997 tiptronic. Would've preferred a manual but this was an opportunistic buy, not complaining for only five thousand and I couldn't be more in love with the colour combination.

7 hours ago, Niko said:

It's great that you have been able to practice on Ferrari's........now you will be in a position to photograph proper cars..:P

Haha looking forward to taking more pics of Porshces at the events, they all look photograph so well.

Hi,

Mike here, looking at getting into a 996 Manual Coupe but I'm still tossing up some other options from other marques. Just looking for a toy to take the family out in on Sundays which ruled out a GT3, plus I've just had a quote for some landscaping, which ruled out a 997!

I'm an ex-Pom, I live outside of Launceston, work in car sales, and have a family Passat Alltrack, a tidied up Range Rover Classic and a soon to be finished Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9.

Short of posting my tax return, that's about all I can think to share.

14 hours ago, nbauto said:

Thanks guys, @dan_189 its a 1997 tiptronic. Would've preferred a manual but this was an opportunistic buy, not complaining for only five thousand and I couldn't be more in love with the colour combination.

Haha looking forward to taking more pics of Porshces at the events, they all look photograph so well.

Welcome aboard the PFA! Don’t underestimate your lil Boxster, great cars.

Ive also got an elcheapo 986 after having a very nice 996.2 and have to say it’s bags of fun.

Im also bayside (Mordialloc) so keep an eye out and if you ever feel the need for a cheeky beach rd cruise yell out. 

3 hours ago, iuvbrownale said:

Hi,

Mike here, looking at getting into a 996 Manual Coupe but I'm still tossing up some other options from other marques. Just looking for a toy to take the family out in on Sundays which ruled out a GT3, plus I've just had a quote for some landscaping, which ruled out a 997!

I'm an ex-Pom, I live outside of Launceston, work in car sales, and have a family Passat Alltrack, a tidied up Range Rover Classic and a soon to be finished Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9.

Short of posting my tax return, that's about all I can think to share.

Welcome and good luck in the 996 hunt! There are a few of us from Tassie on here with some from Launnie too.

Cheers

34 minutes ago, TrevMcRev said:

Welcome aboard the PFA! Don’t underestimate your lil Boxster, great cars.

Ive also got an elcheapo 986 after having a very nice 996.2 and have to say it’s bags of fun.

Im also bayside (Mordialloc) so keep an eye out and if you ever feel the need for a cheeky beach rd cruise yell out. 

A COXSTER splinter group.......

15 hours ago, nbauto said:

Wait, @nbauto you only paid 5k for your 986?!

Wait, [mention=4706]nbauto[/mention] you only paid 5k for your 986?!

Yep previous owner had sadly died a couple months before and he was a friend of a friend. Got a phone call from my friend saying it starts and drives fine. So we bought it off the widowed wife. Sad origin but I’ve named the car Bruce after the previous owner. Had to get new rear shocks and new water pump. But then it ran perfectly about $11k into it now from a variety of stuff like reupholstered driver seat and new canvas roof. I love it worth every cent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Wait, @nbauto you only paid 5k for your 986?!

They are out there. Here’s one for $8k, manual too. A little rough around the edges - just the way I like em! 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/375302142945379

Mine was only $13.5k and low klms with PCM sales and service history.