INTRODUCTION THREAD

Thought I'd drop by and say hi :)

Wanted a 996 for years, just loved something about them since I was young! A couple of years ago I actually went to buy a Dodge Viper, and the sale fell through - ended up spotting a 996 in the corner, drove it back to back with a Maserati Grandsport and bought it on the sport. It really hit the spot but couldn't put my finger on why having driven a few C2 996's and 997 previously.

Bought it regardless and started finding some goodies. Turns out it had the X51 pack, as well as a few nice options such as suede headiner, aero front bar and three spoke steering wheel. It had a few Gemballa mods including Speedline rims, suspension (it's pretty low now but the handling and turn in feels razor sharp), spoiler, skirts, exhaust and remap.

Haven't bothered getting it on a dyno, as interesting as it would be, it never fails to put a smile on my face and I don't want to end up bolting turbos on chasing horsepower. It pulls relentlessly though and sounds absolutely immense between the fabspeed intake and gemballa exhaust.

Very tempted by a GT4 two years later but instead think I'm going to put some money into some GT2 seats, harnesses, wheel and maybe some 997 mirrors and a GT3 Carbon bonnet and just carry on loving it :D

snippet of the exhaust 

And the rear end..

21753005_10154656061326829_4264859597527

Anyway enough rambling.. Hi :)

Edited by Mike737
fixed image

On 3/6/2018 at 10:46 PM, jaw said:

Thought I'd drop by and say hi :)

Wanted a 996 for years, just loved something about them since I was young! A couple of years ago I actually went to buy a Dodge Viper, and the sale fell through - ended up spotting a 996 in the corner, drove it back to back with a Maserati Grandsport and bought it on the sport. It really hit the spot but couldn't put my finger on why having driven a few C2 996's and 997 previously.

Bought it regardless and started finding some goodies. Turns out it had the X51 pack, as well as a few nice options such as suede headiner, aero front bar and three spoke steering wheel. It had a few Gemballa mods including Speedline rims, suspension (it's pretty low now but the handling and turn in feels razor sharp), spoiler, skirts, exhaust and remap.

Haven't bothered getting it on a dyno, as interesting as it would be, it never fails to put a smile on my face and I don't want to end up bolting turbos on chasing horsepower. It pulls relentlessly though and sounds absolutely immense between the fabspeed intake and gemballa exhaust.

Very tempted by a GT4 two years later but instead think I'm going to put some money into some GT2 seats, harnesses, wheel and maybe some 997 mirrors and a GT3 Carbon bonnet and just carry on loving it :D

snippet of the exhaust 

Anyway enough rambling.. Hi :)

Welcome! plenty of love for the 996 on here :D

@jaw WOW!

Don't see many X51 996's or 996's with Gemballa bits on them. Truly a unicorn in the 996 crowd! She looks great.

I fixed your image in your post. You can use the "Insert other media" then "Insert image from URL" to display an image in your post.

Nice ride, would love to hear the early history of the car.

Hmm... that looks like Northbridge tunnel and do I spot a WA numberplate?

If you see a "definitely non concours" aerokittted midnight blue 996.1 coupe getting around, that'll probably be me and I will expect a closer look :-)

Cheers all :)

On 08/03/2018 at 7:14 PM, Avon said:

Nice ride, would love to hear the early history of the car.

Hmm... that looks like Northbridge tunnel and do I spot a WA numberplate?

If you see a "definitely non concours" aerokittted midnight blue 996.1 coupe getting around, that'll probably be me and I will expect a closer look :-)

me too, have only pieced together bits and peices! It was owned/bought by a lady over on the Gold Coast originally, who optioned it with the suede headliner, three spoke wheel, X51, optional alloys, carbon shifter and handbrake, original price was over $200k :LOL: 

Have been told that the Gemballa parts came from Sydney, they were chasing it up but never got back to me.. Previously owned by a guy who apparently was pretty OCD about it. Won a Course d'elegance apparently in 2005, not been able to find out when or where or what for.

Yep got it in one, I'm in Perth, Ha will keep an eye out and be sure to say hey!

7 hours ago, Nick1234 said:

Hello All, 
After a long time searching, I finally got my 911 (2007 997.1 C4S). Enjoying every moment so far. 

997_zpsyilonx67.jpeg[/img]

That is a very nice car.  Congratulations.  Normally not a big fan of those wheels but on that car they look very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the longish post... Well after starting my search last year then getting cold feet for 6 months, I started browsing for a Porsche again earlier this year... Initially was set on getting a manual (either a 981 or a 991.1). Checked out a GT4 at Richmond's but that was too hardcore as a daily driver and with 2 small kids I set my heart on a 911. I then got tempted by a local 991.2 PDK at the Adelaide dealer which they were pretty keen to move. The modern additions of the .2 I thought really added to the daily driving experience. At around the same time though, a car on the NSW North Coast popped up with much better options for a similar price... problem was how to inspect it without making more than one trip. Some people might call me crazy, but I trusted in @symsy who out of his own good will went to inspect the car for me and gave me a thorough review. I also must have spent more than 45 mins on the phone with the owner talking about the car and his car history. Both great blokes. In the end, I essentially bought it sight unseen! Flew to Ballina with a mate, had lunch with symsy and the original owner, and then we drove it back to Adelaide over the course of 3 days (initially planning 2 days but due to various crazy scenarios we had to stretch it an extra day)... If I were to drive a car back from NSW north coast again, I would plan to take the scenic route over a longer period with better driving roads. It's quite stressful dodging road kill and animals by the side of the road! Anyway, the trip really let me get to know the car well and left some great memories.

Just got it detailed today, dash cam installed and wheel balanced and aligned after the trip. Only some very minor cosmetic blemishes, but now looking fantastic after a thorough detail and opticoat by Elite Finish in SA. Not planning to go paint protection film I think but rather an opticoat top up once a year. Will be planning to daily it. This is my first Porsche, easily the best car I've owned and I hope to get several years enjoyment out of it (wife says minimum 4 years!)... I sense a long Porsche car history for me in the future. I'm very happy with the buy!

Specs: PDK, Chrono, PSE, 18 way seats, PDLS+ in black, glass roof, heated steering wheel, Carrera 4, 20 inch Carrera Classic Wheels, Sport Design Mirrors

Some phone pics from pick up today from Elite Finish:

3185zNNxS6MObBUl05cof-5cwF74YUjyrCLcglpw

zlIW1iOVKDXybFcgT3cx-AF67Rn7mBK-ueIEfYR1

A pleasure and glad your really happy with it .. enabling duties complete.

One day , once you have added a few Kms , I will come to Adelaide and demand a little test drive experience, it for sure looks the part and sounds the part with that sports exhaust , you got a super mint car.

Congrats again and enjoy , Tyre kicking on your behalf the greatest of pleasures.

PS  I didnt get a thank you card from your wife .  

21 minutes ago, symsy said:

A pleasure and glad your really happy with it .. enabling duties complete.

One day , once you have added a few Kms , I will come to Adelaide and demand a little test drive experience, it for sure looks the part and sounds the part with that sports exhaust , you got a super mint car.

Congrats again and enjoy , Tyre kicking on your behalf the greatest of pleasures.

PS  I didnt get a thank you card from your wife .  

Any time you're in Adelaide you're welcome to borrow the keys. I'm extremely happy with the buy and hope I don't regret going black over white. As for my wife, a remarkable lady who tolerates my car affairs without a complaint! She might not send you a thank you card but if you're in town she'll happily invite you over to dinner with the family. Thanks again! The Porsche community is great. Will join the local Porsche Club later this year. 

Hi to all... I'm as new as one can be to the Porsche marque / community. After many years owning an Australian V8, it was time to get into something completely different. Just purchased a 76 911 S, ex Japan LHD, now backdated to a 73 RSR tribute / replica. I wanted a fun car, and I think I've found it. Originally a 2.7. Now has a fresh 3.0 which is undergoing run in. Will post pics when I find out how. Looking forward to sharing & general banter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Currently living in London but originally from Sydney and the 'Gong.  I've had a 987.2 Boxster 2.9ltr manual for the last two and a half years but recently sold that and am due to pick up a 987.2 Boxster S Black Edition this Friday in Scotland.  We've done plenty of touring in the 2.9 including the Alps (Swiss, Italian and Austrian), Scottish Highlands, Wales and Northern Ireland and have also done trackdays at Spa and Silverstone.

I have totally enjoyed the 2.9, and would have loved to keep it given some of the history, but am looking to maximise the value for when we eventually return to Australia.  The Black Edition comes heavily optioned with PASM, PSE, PDK, PDLS, Sport Chrono, Bose, Spyder alloys...  I think the only thing it doesn't have is PCCB :)

I will post some shots of the Black once I pick it up which, incidentally, is on a Boxster meet in Scotland with around 20 other cars and their owners.  Just hoping the snow stops...  In the meantime, here are a couple of the 2.9:

Yorkshire Dales:

IMG_1516

Sustenpass, Switzerland.

IMG_5758

Stelvio Pass, Italy:

IMG_5859

Previous car history includes multiple RenaultSport Clio's and a Lotus Elise with a Honda conversion (still mine but in storage).

Cheers

Nath

Welcome aboard Nath, great to see our little forum stretching to the other side of the world.

Great photos, and wow, great roads, roof down, with snow on the mountains.   Perfect.

Good luck with the new "Black" one.   sounds good.