INTRODUCTION THREAD

G,day  my name is Dobbo and am from Swansea near Newcastle. I've been looking at this forum for a while and decided to join up. I've always lusted after a air cooled 911 but could not quite afford one (left my run too late) so I started researching 928's and decided they were probably more practical for me. So a little over a year ago I purchased a 1980 928 off gum tree sight unseen from the middle of nowhere in central Victoria. It was a bit of a gamble but it looked good on the photo's and I trusted the seller over the phone however he did mislead me as it was advertised as a 4.7L S but it turned out to be a 4.5L with spoilers and a euro import. I do believe the seller really thought it was an 4.7S but I was a little disappointed it is a bit rough but have been tidying it up and now is a reliable daily driver and is great to drive. Looking forward to go on some runs with fellow members cheers Dobbo.

7 minutes ago, dobbo said:

G,day  my name is Dobbo and am from Swansea near Newcastle. I've been looking at this forum for a while and decided to join up. I've always lusted after a air cooled 911 but could not quite afford one (left my run too late) so I started researching 928's and decided they were probably more practical for me. So a little over a year ago I purchased a 1980 928 off gum tree sight unseen from the middle of nowhere in central Victoria. It was a bit of a gamble but it looked good on the photo's and I trusted the seller over the phone however he did mislead me as it was advertised as a 4.7L S but it turned out to be a 4.5L with spoilers and a euro import. I do believe the seller really thought it was an 4.7S but I was a little disappointed it is a bit rough but have been tidying it up and now is a reliable daily driver and is great to drive. Looking forward to go on some runs with fellow members cheers Dobbo.

Welcome Dobbo!

Sorry you had a rough time with your 928 from dubious information at purchase, glad you persevered with it and now you can really appreciate your 928 for the amazing car that it is!

Of course we need pictures of it :)

Hi Dobbo, as ANF said we need pictures.

Also don't worry if it's not an "S" as the earlier models will (eventually?) be the sought after ones.

Is it a manual or auto?

Hello Brian I've checked out Bendemeer and it looks like a cold location for this time of year. I'll have to check dates etc.   ANF I've enjoyed reading about your work on your 928 I'll try and post some.    3 LEGS it's an auto, my main criteria was non sunroof (I hate sunroofs) and I found it hard to get a manual and no sunroof so I settled on a auto I don't mind at my age 58 and it suits the true nature of the car a Grand Tourer cheers Dobbo.

I hear ya Dobbo. I'm the same age and my 928 is so much easier to drive and get into than my 930. Mine has a sunroof but with the seat lowered it doesn't get in the way.

Still need photo's☺️.

3legs

• 5 weeks later...

Another newbie here. Bought a truly spotless 2004 Boxster S on the Central Coast. Have owned a ton of cars over the past 40 years, raced historic sports cars (still have one)  and most recently sold my beloved MX-5 SP that I drove for 13 years to buy the Boxster, my first Porsche. Loving the car!

8 minutes ago, bigdogedits said:

Another newbie here. Bought a truly spotless 2004 Boxster S on the Central Coast. Have owned a ton of cars over the past 40 years, raced historic sports cars (still have one)  and most recently sold my beloved MX-5 SP that I drove for 13 years to buy the Boxster, my first Porsche. Loving the car!

Good on ya, mate. Welcome to Porsche cars. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. Another newbie to the forum, don't own a P car yet, but am on the lookout for one. Really interested in getting into a GTS or for the right price potentially a GT4. Thought that I would join in to ask for advice for when the purchase may happen :)

Currently driving a first Gen A45 which I have owned since 2013. Feeling excited and hoping to learn a lot.

PS: just missed out on a forum member selling his GT4 recently for a ripper price. Dammn!

Welcome aboard Soarer, good to see your maybe thinking Cayman.    

Also good to see you have seen the light and  looking at getting into a "real" German car.:P

Good luck with your hunt...

12 hours ago, soarer said:

Hi Everyone. Another newbie to the forum, don't own a P car yet, but am on the lookout for one. Really interested in getting into a GTS or for the right price potentially a GT4. Thought that I would join in to ask for advice for when the purchase may happen :)

Currently driving a first Gen A45 which I have owned since 2013. Feeling excited and hoping to learn a lot.

PS: just missed out on a forum member selling his GT4 recently for a ripper price. Dammn!

Welcome Soarer, buyers market re GT4, plenty to choose from and most been sitting for months and months ….… and months

On 7/29/2018 at 9:36 AM, Troubleshooter said:

Welcome Soarer, buyers market re GT4, plenty to choose from and most been sitting for months and months ….… and months

Tanks for the heads up. Just not sure if GT4 is right for me or GTS.  Definitely an occasional weekender. Might do a track day or two (So far in 5 years I have done 3 track days in the A45). The GT4 does look a lot more special than the GTS, but in saying that the GTS looks hot still just $60k cheaper. I might start a new topic on what car to lean towards. :)

56 minutes ago, soarer said:

Tanks for the heads up. Just not sure if GT4 is right for me or GTS.  Definitely an occasional weekender. Might do a track day or two (So far in 5 years I have done 3 track days in the A45). The GT4 does look a lot more special than the GTS, but in saying that the GTS looks hot still just $60k cheaper. I might start a new topic on what car to lean towards. :)

Cayman GTS is a great car but if you can stretch it GT4 for sure. Well worth the extra $$$ IMO. @DJM let his go for a hot price, I would have if I could have. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On 31 July 2018 at 1:22 PM, soarer said:

I saw, just a couple of months too late.

GT4s are great.  Never driven a GTS but GT4 is the one to have.

prices are falling......this one is Porsche approved and probably could be bought for high 160s to $170k. I'm sure that would be the cheapest to date.  That's $25k less than the cheapest available when I bought 12 months ago and below the wholesale price I traded for just a few months ago.  

Roughly 12% drop in a year, didn't expect that.  With plenty on market and almost all under 200k, could be a good time to crunch a deal.  Having said that, could they fall further.....?

493eb9319e6afeebc59c0f9ccdb97522.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

2015 Porsche Cayman GT4 981 Manual MY16

• 16,000 km
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • 6cyl 3.8L Petrol

Dealer Used

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2015/OAG-AD-16145980

13 hours ago, soarer said:

Interesting that they are dropping so fast recently, must be people trying to sell before the new one arrives.

Probably getting off topic, but, I read on the weekend (in an actual news paper, made out of real paper, but it's here online too), sales of new sports car were own 38.2% (as per article everyone is buying Utes...for...'reasons') this year. The change in tastes no doubt flows through to used cars so soft demand and what really (to me at least) seems like a massive supply of such a niche car means prices can really only go one way I think... There are also quite a few 981 Spyders sitting around for sale at even higher prices too...

49 minutes ago, JWM said:

Probably getting off topic, but, I read on the weekend (in an actual news paper, made out of real paper, but it's here online too), sales of new sports car were own 38.2%

Sounds like the all my friends are getting married syndrome. WAGs wearing the pants, not that there's anything wrong with that .

"When Nick Gatacre started selling real estate 11 years ago he was told he couldn't drive a ute to work. It would send the wrong signals. Now, as principal of hockingstuart South Yarra, servicing Melbourne's upmarket South Yarra and Toorak areas, he attends open for inspections in a $75,000 Mercedes-Benz...ute."

The Mercedes ladies suburbs?